How to find X and Y coordinates in the scene

Does anyone know a way to find the X and Y coordinates of a specific point in the scene? Even Scratch has a simple way of locating exact coordinates on the stage. GameSalad must be able to do this..

TY

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

What do you mean by 'find' ?

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

If I have an actor I want to spawn at X and Y coordinates of a scene. How do I know what those coordinates are? Scratch does this when you hover your mouse pointer over the stage. The X and Y coordinates show in realtime so you can pinpoint precise locations within the stage/scene. In GameSalad it seems like you would have to just guess until you can manage to pinpoint the location. there must be better way.

edited January 2018

@sinbot said:
    If I have an actor I want to spawn at X and Y coordinates of a scene. How do I know what those coordinates are?

If I understand you correctly . . . you are choosing the coordinates to spawn at ("I want to spawn at X and Y coordinates") so, by definition, you will already know what the coordinates are ?

That is to say, spawn the actor at the X and Y coordinates you want the actor to appear at.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited January 2018

Drag any actor to the specific point you want on the scene , and double click the actor, get the x and y position. The mac version doesn't display the x and y coordinates in the editor.

I didn't realize this was a MAC specific issue. All the actors positions say 0! It doesn't reflect what their actual coordinates are on the scene. > @Icebox said:

Drag any actor to the specific point you want on the scene , and double click the actor, get the x and y position. The mac version doesn't display the x and y coordinates in the editor.

@sinbot said:
    All the actors positions say 0! It doesn't reflect what their actual coordinates are on the scene.

Are you double clicking the actor in the scene, rather than the actor in the Actors window ?

Did you double click the actor on the scene or the inspector ? make sure you select the actor on the scene to know its exact position x and y , it shouldnt display 0,0 unless your actor is at the position 0,0

edited January 2018

You can also put an invisible actor on the scene , make it display text when mouse button is down. and instead of clicking preview , click the "play" button to preview your game in the editor. You might have to preview the game first , then go back and click the play button. (bug i just noticed)

Something like this

This might introduce bugs , table values might get saved and you would have to manually reset them.

wow i totally overlooked that! thank you!!!!> @Icebox said:

Did you double click the actor on the scene or the inspector ? make sure you select the actor on the scene to know its exact position x and y , it shouldnt display 0,0 unless your actor is at the position 0,0