Virtual MacOS on PC

I have a powerful PC. I would rather use the Mac version the GSC. Whats the current abilities of GSC on a virtual MACOS thats on a PC? Is it possible? If so, are there any downsides?

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Google is your friend. Come on. :wink:

https://www.pcsteps.com/2157-mac-os-x-virtual-machine-vmware-player/

You'll have to test yourself how well it works, especially with GameSalad and publishing.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Ive Googled and Ive watched videos on how to install VB and a MacOS onto the VB. Thats not the premise of my question. Let me rephrase.

Is anyone creating games with gamesalad and doing so with a VirtualBox/MacOS system on their PC? If so. can you name any issues you have using this method. Is it worth it? Or is it too much of a hassle?

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

No one here uses VirtualBox with GSC?

• scottwoodscottwood Member, PRO Posts: 68

@finnbogg Did you come to any conclusions on using a virtual mac on a pc?
    I'm considering using a virtual mac from an online service - but I'd much prefer to use my own machine if possible - so I'd love to hear how you got on with this.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@scottwood In my experience, virtual machines can be useful but not for work that flows between multiple applications (unsupported VM macOS, GS, Xcode).

If you really want to use the macOS client then by all means try it out but to avoid the likely headaches that come with virtualization use actual supported macOS. I picked up two used Mac minis on Mercari for ~$40 each.

I use a 2012 iMac partitioned with macOS and Windows 10 Pro. I can boot into either side natively so that the operating system has access to all the hardware (graphics card and what not). While both systems work flawlessly, it's not VM, it's supported, and it's going the other way (mac machine to windows os)

I'm with you that, as far as using GS, the macOS version is the way to go but generally I shy away from emulation in a virtual environment. If you get up and running let me know how it goes :mrgreen: