Project Lost

Hello! I recently spent a lot of time working on a project, and after opening up my computer today, when I tried to open the file, a blank gamesalad template comes up. I have published my most recent update, and I tried to download that file from my portfolio, but it is blank as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am currently freaking out. Thanks all!

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I know this doesn't help in times of crisis but my method is to constantly save incremental changes in separate files to avoid this sort of thing. That is, if I work for fifteen minutes, I hit Save As... and then name the file FlappyBird1. Then after fifteen minutes, I hit Save As... again and name the file FlappyBird2. Etc. So at any given moment, the most I'll ever lose is 15 minutes of work. Do I end up with 300 files? Yes, I do.

As far as a blank project file... have you restarted your computer? And/or re-installed GameSalad? I don't have much advice beyond that as I use a Mac but I wish you luck!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• craryk12craryk12 Member Posts: 5

@tatiang said:
    I know this doesn't help in times of crisis but my method is to constantly save incremental changes in separate files to avoid this sort of thing. That is, if I work for fifteen minutes, I hit Save As... and then name the file FlappyBird1. Then after fifteen minutes, I hit Save As... again and name the file FlappyBird2. Etc. So at any given moment, the most I'll ever lose is 15 minutes of work. Do I end up with 300 files? Yes, I do.

As far as a blank project file... have you restarted your computer? And/or re-installed GameSalad? I don't have much advice beyond that as I use a Mac but I wish you luck!

Yeah, not saving multiple files was definitely my bad, but unfortunately I didn't realize how prone GS files were to corrupting. In the future I will do that! I did try reinstalling GS, and I will try restarting my comp now. Thanks for the tip!

• greywolfxgreywolfx Member, PRO Posts: 24

If you haven't figured it out yet, I may have a solution for you. there is a short way (if ur lucky) and there is the long way. Go to where your project file is saved. Open file and click on network keys. Open in any text editor where you can change and save the text as an xml doc. If network keys are corrupted then open and save a new gs project (blank is fine). Go to that saved file. Open network keys in there and copy. Paste the network keys from new blank project into project you are trying to restore. Now open GS as normal and your project should open IF and only IF your object file is in tact. If your object file is also corrupted then here is step 2. This is the long part. Your file folders in the project file you wish to restore should be in tact from actors through sounds. You will need to manually copy and paste the actor,scene,attributes ID #s into the object xml file. They must be in the order as you see them in the file folders. Open any working GS project file to view the proper layout of how to reassemble the code/text files. Also check the assets xml file if it too is corrupt then repeat the copy and paste procedure there. I know this takes some time to do because i've had to do it. You will just need to decide if you spent a year making something it might be worth taking a solid week to fix it. Also check the tables file folder it is most likely blank. you may need to recreate new tables. Sorry for your loss. Good Luck.