transparent PNG images with white background

hi23469hi23469 Member, PRO Posts: 6

Hi there,

Does anyone knows why the transparent uncompressed PNG images appear with a white background?
I have a behaviour of Change image with jpgs and transparent pngs.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

They need to be PNG-24, not PNG-8.

• hi23469hi23469 Member, PRO Posts: 6

Thanks Armelline. I have also tried with Photoshop: save for web, png, 24 bit,but had no luck. The weird thing is that the images were appearing with transparent background and only stopped working after I deleted the unused ones.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Never seen that issue. With save for web are you making sure the transparency box is checked?

Maybe because some images are jpegs it's interpreting the rest incorrectly?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

thanks. They're all PNGs...

• BunkerBunker Member, PRO Posts: 36
    edited March 2018

I've had issues where I've forgotten to set-up the output of my paint program before

In the preferences for the paint app - there's usually an option to set the default background of images to transparent or white.

Made an entire sprite folder once with around 50 images ... all white backgrounds! why!!

Are you using your usual computer? / new art program etc?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Can you post an example image?

thanks. yes, all images have transparency on. Although I exported all png with 24 bits i just noticed windows 10 image details is telling me some images have 32 bit. will try to fix that and see if it works.

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

When I want transparency I go to online image editor and add it there. It works like a charm. :)

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited March 2018

@hi23469 It was mandated back in 2015 that all images imported into GS should be 24bit or 32bit PNGs.

Transparency is not supported in a JPG.

If you import JPGs, GS will convert them to PNGs anyway, but they won't be transparent.

In some graphic programs you can convert JPGs to PNGs, but you must specifically map a colour from the palatte to be transparent, say the background colour.

Check this older thread in which there is info that is still relevant today.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/76342/convert-graphics-to-png-on-mac-with-preview#latest

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@hi23469 said:
    Hi there,

Does anyone knows why the transparent uncompressed PNG images appear with a white background?
    I have a behaviour of Change image with jpgs and transparent pngs.

I've encountered this problem on several occasions; after some hair-pulling and a lot of experimentation, I was able to get the PNG's to display with the correct transparency by changing the actor's 'Alpha' (under 'Color') attribute to .99.

Thanks Rainwater. Have tried it also before but didnt worked.

• Rogue AnvilRogue Anvil Member, PRO Posts: 30
    edited May 2018

Hi, are you sure you have actually exported your PNG-24 with some transparancy?

For instance, in photoshop you have to delete the default "background" layer at the bottom of the layers (then you can see the checker board indication in stead of a background color) in order to get transparancy in the file - then import it into GS.