General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)...thoughts?

Just wondered how GameSalad and also developers that use targeted ads such as Admob and Chartboost plan to deal with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) coming in on 25th May 2018?

https://searchengineland.com/report-google-asks-publishers-to-manage-user-data-consent-for-ad-targeting-in-eu-gdpr-294917

Looks like Google is suggesting we must get users to opt in or not serve targeted ads etc.

Also users have the right to be forgotten. This would mean GameSalad must have a process for deleting IP addresses and location data etc collected for 'quality assurance purposes'.

Comments

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

Please could someone from GameSalad provide guidance about how developers can request for you to delete their users data should we be asked. It will become a legal requirement in the EU on May 25th 2018. Please see point 3 on the attached image.

I think the easiest solution for all of us would be for you to stop collecting user information from apps made with GameSalad.

Please respond promptly as without a process in place we could all end up being non-compliant and at risk of being sued.

Thanks
    @adent42

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568
    edited May 2018

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@adent42 Unless GS can assure us that our apps will comply, the only solution I can see is that we restrict our apps to specific countries... until they begin to implement similar legislation! :s

What about our existing apps in the marketplaces? Will we have to resubmit new versions of them? :/

Maybe it's time for me to get out of this business : GSexit! :D

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

i dont know how things work, but if we put a pop up message the first time the app opens to notify "if its the case" that the app collects data for ads, and by continue the user is accepting (like some website do for cookies).

so the only option to use the game its to accepts, if the user dont want to accepts, they cant use the game

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@hybrid said:
    i dont know how things work, but if we put a pop up message the first time the app opens to notify "if its the case" that the app collects data for ads, and by continue the user is accepting (like some website do for cookies).

so the only option to use the game its to accepts, if the user dont want to accepts, they cant use the game

According to research only around 20% of people will consent to their data being collected if asked. Therefore only 1 in 5 of your users will be served ads.
    It seems to me that this could spell the end of the targeted ad model.

The easiest solution to all this would be for ad companies to give us the option to serve non-targeted ads. That way no data collection is necesary.

Google have said that they are working on this as an option. The only thing is it needs to be done on a global basis. The idea that Charboost have gone for of us sending them device IDs and doing it on an individual user basis is frankly ridiculous!

I'll make it simple for them, this is what we need as options on our dashboard:

1: DO NOT COLLECT MY USERS DATA
    2: DO NOT SERVE TARGETED ADS

easy...

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

For Europe at least, given the current tracking which GS does (regardless of ads)
    you now have to inform the user that data is being collected (anonymous or not).

The issue is that given the mobile connection and variable IPs, there is no practical way of informing the user of how to view and delete the data collected on them.

Also, you have no control over what the 3rd parties do with your data, so you can't make any guarantees to the user.

The even more dangerous part, is that this opens the door for scammy lawyers who take it upon themselves to police the app stores and slap you with cease and desist letters or fines (including the correspondence fees of course). As they already do for websites missing the legally required imprint. So this just broadened their opportunities.

My suggestion, until GS removes tracking, is on app open, inform the user of the tracking, and that if they continue to use the app, they consent to such tracking. Regardless of whether you show ads or not.

Additionally, if you display ads, again inform the user and allow them to opt out.

Ugly but necessary.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

It's important that Gamesalad let us know their intentions here.

@ForumNinja - Are Gamesalad going to remove all tracking from apps. Will there been an update and a need to republish??

There is also an new Chartboost SDK (v7.2.0) which will allow us to restrict collection of data. When can we expect this version to be integrated in Gamesalad?

edited May 2018

A link to Admob changes + consent SDK:
    https://developers.google.com/admob/android/eu-consent

Until GameSalad release an update to comply with GDPR do people think just removing our apps from sale/download in EU countries is a solution?

And if so, what about the previously downloaded apps which are still in use of peoples devices??

@Hopscotch - But surely without Gamesalad updating to comply with GDPR our own updated version won't address any of the real issues (even if we do inform the user that data is being collected).

For example - we wont be able to delete user data if requested, we won't be able to give users access to their data if requested, we can't document what is collected and whom it is shared with etc etc...

Surely removing all apps from EU stores is the best we can do at this moment in time.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@DigiChain said:

Surely removing all apps from EU stores is the best we can do at this moment in time.

Gamesalad should not put its customers in this situation. Just add an option in publishing page for not collecting data from the app. We are not collecting this data as an owner of the app, Gamesalad does. Even though they use Google Analytics, we should have the option to remove it.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

edited May 2018

@DigiChain said:
    @Hopscotch - But surely without Gamesalad updating to comply with GDPR our own updated version won't address any of the real issues (even if we do inform the user that data is being collected).

Sure, I meant including a startup warning, informing the users that data is collected and that they comply if continuing using the app. But give the user an option: if they agree, then let them play, if they decline, just show them a friendly not to close the app.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@unbeatenpixel said:

@DigiChain said:

Gamesalad should not put its customers in this situation. Just add an option in publishing page for not collecting data from the app. We are not collecting this data as an owner of the app, Gamesalad does. Even though they use Google Analytics, we should have the option to remove it.

Wouldn't this mean Gamesalad is liable and not us since we are not the ones collecting data?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Wouldn't this mean Gamesalad is liable and not us since we are not the ones collecting data?

Nope, it is your app, and you are responsible for what happens within.

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

adent42 jsut publish in the "state of gamesalad 03/2018" thread that gamesalad will be removing all tracking from the engine, also they're updating the ask for chartboost and admob.

and he said that for europe markets ad tracking should be requested to the user.

Also that it can be a EU build and a build for the rest of the world.