Lagging, Freezing, Crashing

GameSalad has been lagging, freezing and crashing. It often becomes unresponsive when trying to save a project; the save seems to run to completion and is viewable in Finder, but the dialogue box doesn't close, the project won't close, and all open projects are completely frozen - the only way I've found to get out of this is by using Force Quit and then reopening GameSalad. There are also significant lags when on the scene menu page, the actor menu page and when moving between scenes.
Please Advise!

Comments

• Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/Owner MarylandMember Posts: 140

It seems you have a bottleneck (i.e. something causing a slowdown). Do you have any loops in your project, or an excessive amount of spawn actor behaviors? Or a ton of animation?

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@Triangularity Games said:
    It seems you have a bottleneck (i.e. something causing a slowdown). Do you have any loops in your project, or an excessive amount of spawn actor behaviors? Or a ton of animation?

I rarely use loops; most of the actors are in-scene thus I doubt it's a spawning issue; I do use quite a bit of animation; however, these problems aren't occurring when previewing or working on any specific scene. Freezing and crashing seems to happen sporadically, most often when saving a project (nearly every time I try to save anything).

• Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/Owner MarylandMember Posts: 140

Hmmm. There are some optimization techniques that might help. Check them out here: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/46652/31-optimization-tips

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465
    edited April 2018

@rainwaterstudios Which macOS are you running? Are you using the latest GS? I've randomly seen this as well but it was ages ago -- several versions of GS creator back. Are you usually on a specific screen when trying to save the project?

Double check the memory in your machine is still functioning (Apple Menu > About This Mac). Does your computer slow down when doing other disk reading/writing tasks? Could be a slowly faltering drive. I doubt it's a hardware issue but never hurts to look. Do you run other scripts in the background not related to GS?

Also, you said 'all open projects are completely frozen'. How many projects are you opening simultaneously?

edited May 2018

@RowdyPants said:
    @rainwaterstudios Which macOS are you running? Are you using the latest GS? I've randomly seen this as well but it was ages ago -- several versions of GS creator back. Are you usually on a specific screen when trying to save the project?

Double check the memory in your machine is still functioning (Apple Menu > About This Mac). Does your computer slow down when doing other disk reading/writing tasks? Could be a slowly faltering drive. I doubt it's a hardware issue but never hurts to look. Do you run other scripts in the background not related to GS?

Also, you said 'all open projects are completely frozen'. How many projects are you opening simultaneously?

Running OS X El Capitan (10.11.6). I'm using the most recent update of GS. It isn't exclusive to any specific scene.
    My memory is running optimally, 16 gigs of 1600 mhz DDR3. My computer doesn't have these problems with other tasks or in other applications. I'm certain this is not a hardware issue. I have other programs running besides GameSalad, but GS should function correctly even if other apps are running; this problem persists even if GS is the only open application.
    I don't usually have more than 3 projects open simultaneously. I often have 2 projects open at the same time, but don't see why this would cause the problems that are occurring.
    Gotta say, I'm a bit ticked off that GS support is taking so long to address and fix this problem - I haven't even gotten a response yet and it's been a week. As a 'pro' customer paying for a subscription I expected at least some sort of assistance or confirmation that my problem will be handled, i.e. "Received your error report and are working on a fix"... :-1: :frowning: :confounded: :(

Hmmm. There are some optimization techniques that might help. Check them out here: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/46652/31-optimization-tips

Thanks, I'll look into these more, although I've already implemented most of these...

BUMP as this issue has not been addressed or resolved.
    GameSalad continues to freeze, lag, and crash.
    I've been sending the error reports to Apple.
    This is not an issue with a specific project, as the problems persist even if I make a brand new project.
    Please help ASAP.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@rainwaterstudios said:

I rarely use loops; most of the actors are in-scene thus I doubt it's a spawning issue; I do use quite a bit of animation; however, these problems aren't occurring when previewing or working on any specific scene. Freezing and crashing seems to happen sporadically, most often when saving a project (nearly every time I try to save anything).

Yep, same here - using .88 to dev, .92 to sign, but my problem seems to be it's generally fine, UNTIL I want to save / exit.... then it's toss a coin.... :(

Twice when GS exited 'unexpectedly', it screwed my latest numbered project snapshot up - no choice but to revert to an earlier version... :(

BUMP as this issue has not been addressed or resolved.
    GameSalad continues to freeze, lag, and crash.

GameSalad support continues to be unresponsive, despite multiple requests for help regarding a variety of errors on several projects and even newly created projects.

I've been sending error reports to Apple; not sure if that is going to help anything or is just a waste of time.

This is not an issue with a specific project, as the problems persist even if I make a brand new project.

I have tried completely wiping the GameSalad app from my macbook, rebooting, installing a fresh version of GameSalad and.... the results are the same.

Please help ASAP.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465
    edited May 2018

@rainwaterstudios I wonder if it's a permissions issue. Have you tried running Disk First Aid in a while? I would do a repair just to see.

@RowdyPants said:
    @rainwaterstudios I wonder if it's a permissions issue. Have you tried running Disk First Aid in a while? I would do a repair just to see.

Nope, it isn't that. Also, these problems happen on multiple systems.

• craigomezcraigomez Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2018

hello,
    same issue
    ...crashing way more than it used to...disappearing/offsetting of animations inside animation box....super duper lag and freezing if scrolling images in the image inspector. These three issues are new bugs...astounding how something does work and then it doesn't in later builds. I would expect new stuff to not work...I mean that's what we have come to expect anyways.

Now not only have we been asked to file bug reports as usual...I see they want videos and for us to provide a crash logs.Bluestacks TextNow Photomath