Any Tutorials/Demons for a Board Game?

I have an awesome Idea for a Board Game that I would like to make for Mobile, but having some difficulties.
Just recently got into Gamesalad again. I was wondering what was the best route to go about setting all of this up?

Example one: I want the playing board to be different each time. So each Square you can land on has a different trait. ie: If you land on this space, it takes you to a scene, you must solve this puzzle, if fail, you lose the game, or move back x spaces.
Example two: You have to roll a die to allow movement/advancement on the board. How would I set up say a player is on one space, he rolls a 3, moves 3 spaces forward? and then also has a chance to roll a bad die and move back 3 spaces?

I also have some other ideas but are kind of useless to ask without getting these basic ones solved first, thank you!

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I don't know of any tutorials or demos but it sounds like you could use random numbers for both examples. If you had 10 possible board squares you could choose a random number between 1 and 10 for each square and place the correct actor. Also if you were simulating a 6 sided die, you would choose a random number between 1 and 6 for each roll.

• Game On InteractiveGame On Interactive Member Posts: 37

@jamie_c said:
    I don't know of any tutorials or demos but it sounds like you could use random numbers for both examples. If you had 10 possible board squares you could choose a random number between 1 and 10 for each square and place the correct actor. Also if you were simulating a 6 sided die, you would choose a random number between 1 and 6 for each roll.

What would be the best route of moving along this board as the player? I kinda get what you mean about the random number rolls and everything, but what about when the player can only move in one direction. Not just randomly up to 6 spaces in any direction...sorry if this sounds confusing. But say I have a board that is a straight line of 10 spaces. the player starts at space 0 or even 1. rolls die for 2, I would want that player to move 2 spaces ahead. Would I do negative -2 for a bad roll or how would i necessarily set the board up so the spaces are absolute, like a fixed/constrained grid system.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I'm not sure there are board game movement demos or tutorials. Demons, probably, but you'll want to avoid those.

A straight line is much easier than any other board layout. Just change or Interpolate the x/y position. I'll see if I can make a demo for you.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    I'm not sure there are board game movement demos or tutorials. Demons, probably, but you'll want to avoid those.

A straight line is much easier than any other board layout. Just change or Interpolate the x/y position. I'll see if I can make a demo for you.

Thank you very much! Yea i'm hoping to avoid just a straight forward line board. Was hoping to make like sort of a "room" with tiles that youre able to move upon after the die rolls. So the game board will be like a zig-zag or possibly a rectangle, just different boards for each map if that makes any sense, thank you!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

A straight line solution is much different than for a zig-zag or rectangle. But hopefully this is helpful. It's made on a Mac but you should still be able to open it. And I only coded forward movement but the principle is the same for backwards movement.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I had put together a similar sample as well if you want to check it out. Click the die in the lower left corner to roll.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599
    edited May 2018

Sounds like you need to use some tables and grids. Hopefully all these options provide you with a starting point. Very generous community.

Here is my demo, you can build your own path.

Notes included.

Best,
    Two.E

You guys are freaking awesome! I am working a ton lately but tonight I will have the chance to check all of these out, Thanks as always everyone for the support!!