How to add Actors to a scene from a library, position them and add more

gambumgambum Member, PRO Posts: 2

I'm trying to build a game/app that will allow me to select items from a library, add them to a scene where I can manipulate them, place them and go back to the library to add more items.
This would be very similar to a furniture design app, where I can start the app, open a library which shows me different pieces of furniture, and select different items (or actors) I want to manipulate from this library. When I click on an item in the library, it is added to a separate scene (my room), where I can move them around, rotate them, re-position them and then fix them to the floor or attach them to other pieces of furniture already in the scene. Once done with one item, I want to be able to go back to the library and add another piece of furniture, move it around, position it and go on to selecting another item from the library. This could be done for 15-20 items for each session.
In gamesalad I imagine the player would be able to select items from a library and add them to a scene where they can then move these items around to combine them into a 'creation'. New items can then be added by going back to the library and selecting a new item/actor.
I already have the intro and the library built, now I need to know how to add the actors to a separate scene (or the same scene).
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited May 2018

It's all very doable but I'm not sure what you need help with. You asked about "how to add the actors to a separate scene." You can definitely spawn an actor in the same scene but if you want to spawn an actor in a separate scene, you need to communicate with the spawner actor in that scene. You can do that with a game attribute. For example:

Actor in scene 1:
    When [some rule condition]
         Change attribute game.spawnChair to true

Actor in scene 2:
    When attribute game.spawnChair is true
         Spawn Actor [Chair]

One thing to consider is that this may be easier if you use a single large scene with areas that are visible through changing the camera position and size. That way, you can spawn to a separate area of the same scene (that is currently not visible) and avoid having to pass attribute values between actors that way.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• gambumgambum Member, PRO Posts: 2

Thank you Tatiang.
    Sounds like spawning a new actor is what I’m trying to accomplish. Is that it?
    Do I spawn a new actor and ‘pass through’ attributes from the source?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@gambum said:
    Sounds like spawning a new actor is what I’m trying to accomplish. Is that it?

Yes.

Do I spawn a new actor and ‘pass through’ attributes from the source?

Yes.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User