Custom Resolutions In Preview Player

Adding custom resolutions into the Preview Player Presets (like iPhone X resolution) is fast and easy however the changes aren't saved and sometimes even disappear within the same session. Any fixes out there?

Best Answers

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2018 Accepted Answer

@RowdyPants said:
    Adding custom resolutions into the Preview Player Presets (like iPhone X resolution) is fast and easy however the changes aren't saved and sometimes even disappear within the same session. Any fixes out there?

It's just a missing feature from GS. I really wish we had it though, would save a lot of time.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Posts: 465
    edited May 2018 Accepted Answer

@Japster Yeah, I'm right there with ya. I was poking around the GS folders looking to see if I could manually edit the preview resolutions list as well. I see the PreviewDeviceResolution.nib file but it of course isn't editable.

I found and altered the HTML5 Preview file. In macOS, after right clicking the GameSalad app icon select 'Show Package Contents' to see the expanded folders. Navigate to Contents > Resources > WebPreview > preview-osx > preview.html

Open preview.html with an editor like Sublime and scroll down to the select-resolution array. Add an extra entry (item in the array) by copying another item, pasting it anywhere in the array, and changing it to your desired values such as 812x375 and iPhone X

Doing this will add your entry (or entries) into the HTML5 Preview Player in GS.

Answers

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@AlchimiaStudios Ah, that's too bad :( Thanks

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2018

Yep, it's a pain atm, as I'm trying to sort out iPhone X tweaks, and it's not even retained in the same session! :frowning:

Wondering if there's a way to manually add custom sizes to the resolutions via a file edit outside of Creator, @adent42 ?

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@RowdyPants said:
    @Japster Yeah, I'm right there with ya. I was poking around the GS folders looking to see if I could manually edit the preview resolutions list as well. I see the PreviewDeviceResolution.nib file but it of course isn't editable.

I found and altered the HTML5 Preview file. In macOS, after right clicking the GameSalad app icon select 'Show Package Contents' to see the expanded folders. Navigate to Contents > Resources > WebPreview > preview-osx > preview.html

@RowdyPants - Ha ha! - Great minds mate! :wink: Well done with the investigation and thinking outside the box work!
    :smile:

Mind you, I can't preview my app in HTML5 - it REALLY doesn't like some of the tricks and logic, not to mention camera movements in my multi-screen menu, in HTML5... :frowning:

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@Japster I feel ya. The HTML5 implementation in GS has always been quirky.

• CORE GameCORE Game Member, PRO Posts: 280

I know it is an old post, but the issue still there ! is it really a problem to allow us to save custom resolution?

• evertevert Member Posts: 266

Issue still here. Bump