Sound Bug (Android)

Please help, I've been dealing with an annoying sound bug for an entire week. I cannot figure out what is causing it. Every other scene I have with the same exact set up works without a problem.
Basically, I have an actor when clicked, plays sound. I have tried many different approaches, using 1 actor and different Ids a different actor for each letter and so on. It's a very basic function so I'm not sure what the issue is. The weirdest thing is it works no problem in gamesalad while running and then even gamesalad viewer on my phones, never have an issue with that page until after I host it to the app store I have even tried making a new scene and starting fresh and nothing!

Comments

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465
    edited May 2018

@Kevinwatts027@gmail.com Sometimes android has sound performance issues when battery saving is turned on for the app. I know it's unprofessional and annoying but you might can include that warning/info in your description or any support articles you offer if you have a website or anything that accompanies the app.

• Game On InteractiveGame On Interactive Member Posts: 37

@RowdyPants said:
    @Kevinwatts027@gmail.com Sometimes android has sound performance issues when battery saving is turned on for the app. I know it's unprofessional and annoying but you might can include that warning/info in your description or any support articles you offer if you have a website or anything that accompanies the app.

I could def see that, but my issue is its only one scene, even the other sound in the same scene works lol. All other scenes no issues with sounds, I have just had the issue with the on click buttons not working properly on this scene specifically. I have the app installed on 2 devices myself, one never has a battery save mode or any kind of energy saving mode on.

That's what is so mind boggling!

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@Kevinwatts027@gmail.com Interesting. Is the one misbehaving sound a different file type than the others? Was the sound imported as music or a sound effect? Might have to post some code if it’s the same as the others but behaves different.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2018

@RowdyPants said:
    @Kevinwatts027@gmail.com Interesting. Is the one misbehaving sound a different file type than the others? Was the sound imported as music or a sound effect? Might have to post some code if it’s the same as the others but behaves different.

@Kevinwatts027@gmail.com - Maybe even just temporarily change to a known working sound in your project, for this actor/behaviour, as that would be a pretty good elimination method?

I'd also drop your problem actor into another working scene to test it, in case some logic in another actor in the problem scene is causing issues/conflict (ie. if it has bad expressions, repeated sound playing, etc)

I have all my sound files as "sound" and recorded and saved as .ogg files, I have tried creating a new actor entirely and also made a new scene from scratch with just the background(no code) and then the actor with only the "touch rule" an "play sound" they work as should in viewer, but when downloaded the app from store, it will not work on just that page alone. Different sound clips ran through the same process on different scenes work without issue. I have a sound clip that plays at the start of the scene that works as well. I even removed that to test if it was interrupting. I am so stuck on to what I should do next =/ when i get a chance in a but i suppose i can remove those sounds and re add them, it just isnt making a lot of sense right now

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2018

@Kevinwatts027@gmail.com said:
    I have all my sound files as "sound" and recorded and saved as .ogg files, I have tried creating a new actor entirely and also made a new scene from scratch with just the background(no code) and then the actor with only the "touch rule" an "play sound" they work as should in viewer, but when downloaded the app from store, it will not work on just that page alone. Different sound clips ran through the same process on different scenes work without issue. I have a sound clip that plays at the start of the scene that works as well. I even removed that to test if it was interrupting. I am so stuck on to what I should do next =/ when i get a chance in a but i suppose i can remove those sounds and re add them, it just isnt making a lot of sense right now

I thought I recalled hearing that there was an issue if using either mono / stereo sounds, and I'd definitely run your sound through another converter as a test - Say, a free one, like Audacity, etc? - even if you output it as a fresh 1 channel/mono OGG from the old OGG, it can make a difference - not all convertors are 100% industry-standard/accurate/bug-free.... Some also try to be a bit too clever, especially things like VBR, compression tricks, etc, that may not be 100% compatible with 'older' tech engines... :wink:

Case in point - I had a similar issue recently in another game engine - I had to re-encode the music file, and it worked fine - all I was getting (in my executable, was fine in the IDE) prior to that was a few seconds playing, then cutting off. Drove me mad trying to track it down!

@Japster said:

@Kevinwatts027@gmail.com said:

I thought I recalled hearing that there was an issue if using either mono / stereo sounds, and I'd definitely run your sound through another converter as a test - Say, a free one, like Audacity, etc? - even if you output it as a fresh 1 channel/mono OGG from the old OGG, it can make a difference - not all convertors are 100% industry-standard/accurate/bug-free.... Some also try to be a bit too clever, especially things like VBR, compression tricks, etc, that may not be 100% compatible with 'older' tech engines... :wink:

Case in point - I had a similar issue recently in another game engine - I had to re-encode the music file, and it worked fine - all I was getting (in my executable, was fine in the IDE) prior to that was a few seconds playing, then cutting off. Drove me mad trying to track it down!

Well I actually edited all my sounds in Audacity. They all derived from one single file. I had 95 single files come from this large one, all of them work as should. They work throughout testing in viewer and stuff and even playing over again in audacity. But just when I get to the release of the app, these 26 specific ones wont play any sound when i touch the button. I'm going to play around with it a bit more when I get home and see if I can try some more of your guy's suggestions, I def appreciate all input/advice! thanks!