Spawning an actor consistently in a row

Hi,

Im trying to make a vertical endless scrolling game and I want one side to have random actors consistently spawn on top of each other on a consitent distance from one another. I'm not sure how to do this and would love some help.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited June 2018

Without knowing more details such as how you're scrolling the game, it's hard to know exactly what to suggest but generally you'd want to spawn using a timer (e.g. every 2 seconds).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• MinoGamesMinoGames Member Posts: 6

Hi thanks! Unfortunately it is not really how I was scrolling the game. I was messing with this Doodle Jump template, so I dont think using the Move behavior would work here.

mediafire.com/file/3vh6hbi39hfrp31/endlessJump.zip/file

I don't know if this would work for you but I took that template and added a spawner with an every __ seconds timer and gave the enemy actor the same gravity as the doodle actor.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

No I kind of need it to behave like the white actor (Actor 2) on the left where it goes down as the doodle goes up accordingly. And i want a fixed distance between each of that actor so don't know if gravity should be used. Maybe I need to use tables or something ?

Hmm... I'm not sure, sorry!

Is there a way to spawn an actor every ( insert distance here ) instead of every (x) seconds ?

There is but you'd have to figure out the math for it and use a timer still.

Not sure if this is helpful since it's essentially the same thing I mentioned but you might check it out:

http://gshelper.com/product/spawn-time-changer/

Ok thanks! Not excactly what I wanted but it's not really crucial I guess. I tried if game.isHalfway do Move. And also used game.isHalfway in the spawner, but need to figure out how not to make them overlap. And other issues.

One last question: Can I spawn the actors like you showed but also have other random actors in a row?

edited June 2018

@MinoGames said:
    One last question: Can I spawn the actors like you showed but also have other random actors in a row?

Yes? I'm not really sure what you mean. In general, you can do just about anything with GameSalad but without knowing more...

I mean like in the gshelper template you showed lets say in that row of Bullet Bills there are also golden Bullet Bills once in a while instead of normal ones.

Oh okay. You can choose a random number and spawn different actors based on the value. For more info, Google spawn random gamesalad. There are videos and forum threads about how to do it.

• Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302

@MinoGames

I would suggest hunting for smaller fish before going for the big one.

Make a project with the objective of emulating a flappy bird up and down (Y) movement... not even the X movement... just Y movement flappy bird style...

Do that with more games... focus on one action at a time in separate project files. Later it will be second nature to you.

• TapcodiaTapcodia Member Posts: 84

i used a timer, and had it spawn an actor X amount of times, incrementing the X or Y (depending on chosen direction and actor size). So, i would put a single coin on the screen and unlock the coin, and had an attribute "SpawnAmount" and i would change that to 5 or whatever, and it would auto spawn the coins for me in perfect formation. A lot easier then hand placing 5 coins and checking X Y. I made alot of actors with unique patterns. It would spawn coins similar to jetpack joyride.