State of the Salad Q3 2019 - Late but not forgotten.

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
edited September 2019 in GameSalad Kitchen

It's way past time for a quarterly update, so here goes...

Unfortunately the biggest thing people are waiting for is still in "we're still working on it" category, which is fixing the Mojave experience. Things are thornier and more vexing than expected and we're still working it out.

To avoid shipping nothing to you this quarter, we decided to put that on hold and tackle a few other things, all still in QA but Coming Soon (TM):

HTML5 Engine

• Rewritten font rendering. No more artifacts, cut-off ligatures, weird vertical alignment.
  • Fixes to a dynamic collision bugs (i.e. when you use rules to change collisions and stuff just disappears).
  • Reverting to our original Box2D implementation which is more efficient with memory (fan doesn't become a jet engine when the app is open for a while).

iOS

• IronSrc. Same mediated networks as the Android Version.
  • Update Ad Network SDKs

• AdMob 7.49.0
    • Tapdaq 7.2.0
    • Chartboost 8.0.1
  • Removing Bluetooth for non-ad builds.

• Removing / upgrading a whole bunch of deprecated code to minimize future issues with new versions of iOS.
    • Apps are compiled to target iOS 12.1. No more armv7 support, so 32bit iOS devices will no longer work.
    • Removing TweetSheet specific code and letting users choose between the iOS Sharing UI or posting via the Twitter App or Twitter.com. The hope is to do direct tweeting in via the twitter API in the future.
    • Upgrade the Web behavior from UIWebView to WKWebView
    • Upgrade from UIAccelerometer to CoreMotion (faster accelerometer updates).
    • For alerts, use UIAlertController and not the deprecated UIAlertView (no changes for users here).
    • Removal of dead/unused code based on upgrades.

Again, this is all still in QA. I'm hoping to ship the HTML5 engine updates before the end of the week as testing looks good. I want to ship the iOS updates before the end of the week as well, but iOS is always more thorny to test, and seeing as how I'm literally uploading the builds to QA as I type this, we'll see.

Once the iOS update passes RC, we will finally update both Android and iOS to the new "Standard" build (as both will now support IronSource).

So what's in store for the near future?

• Address any outstanding android issues with the current build.
  • More plugging away at Mojave / Catalina compatibility.
  • Continuing to refine the HTML5 based editor with an eye towards handling big projects.
  • IronSource banner support in iOS. Our internal Banner interface code isn't compatible with the way IronSrc does banners, so we'll need to refactor a bit. Not too hard, but with all of the other stuff in this release, we decided to put that off.
  • Adding an option in publishing to use a different format for network communications that's more friendly.

Comments

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Nice to hear that some work being done ?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Thanks for the updates!

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Awesome. Thanks for updating us!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

Thanks, we will be pending :)

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Nice! Please keep us informed.

• Machinist AppsMachinist Apps Member, PRO Posts: 65

Thank you for the update!

• indra.azizindra.aziz Member, PRO Posts: 100

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited October 2019

Loving these 2: :)

@adent42 said:
    iOS
    * IronSrc. Same mediated networks as the Android Version.

and

* Removing TweetSheet specific code and letting users choose between the iOS Sharing UI or posting via the Twitter App or Twitter.com. 

Very Important for Viral looping!!!

Thanks @adent42

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436

I am excited about IronSrc for iOS. How is the testing going?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Hey, testing was going well, but I was taking on some other stuff last week so I didn't respond to the testing input.

Basically everything looks good EXCEPT Tapdaq, which crashes the engine (my bad, the Tapdaq API changed and I didn't remove some old code).

Now the next decision I need to make is whether to remove Tapdaq. It looks like Tapdaq is almost completely and ad mediation network. I think the exchange network still works, but we would have to publish a game before seeing exchange ads, meaning we can't really test Tapdaq ads. And it's not worth adding the mediation adapters, since the would conflict in some places with the IronSrc adapters.

So I'm going to compile in Tapdaq for this build on the off chance that someone is using exchange network, but I think this will be the last Tapdaq build.

Just like last time, I hope to have something out by the end of the week to RC. Cheers!

Thank you. Yes, Tapdaq is mostly a mediation network. I won't miss it if you remove it. (I speak only for myself).

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Thanks for the update, Tan!
    Thanks for all the hard work.

Thanks heaps for your work. Yep, I won't miss Tapdaq either as I don't use it. Quick question @adent42 and I think @blob asked this before - is Gamesalad working on the latest version of Mac OS? Forgetting Catalina of course, cos it just got released.

Tossing up whether to go back to Mac or stay on Windows. I do like the multi-project open-at-once thing on Mac as I like to copy stuff from all my old templates. You can't do that on Windows (AFAIK).

Quoting from Blob:

@adent42 Mac Creator (version 1.25.96) on the latest Mojave 10.14.5 appears to be unresponsive (wheel of death after every click ) with heavy scenes and large projects.

Any chance of a fix before you add any new features? For Blob to not be able to use the software for 4+ months as a paying user is insane. I've just discovered this.

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211
    edited October 2019

@Hypnorabbit unfortunately i must downgrade the OSX to high sierra; i just install a new copy of OS in a external ssd.
    I hope that GS fix the issue soon as possible because actually is really impossible to use the creator in Mojave...
    finger crossed!

edited October 2019

I received this email from Google Play,

"Hello Google Play Developer,

This is a reminder that starting November 1, 2019, updates to apps and games on Google Play will be required to target Android 9 (API level 28) or higher. After this date, the Play Console will prevent you from submitting new APKs with a targetSdkVersion less than 28."

It says all my apps are affected. What does it mean, and what should I do?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@indra.aziz for now generate a new app with the "RC" (meaning Release Candidate) version of GameSalad using the "Build RC" button.

We are about to push the iOS version to RC. If no major problems arise from that within this week then we will promote both versions of the new engine to mainline and you can generate your apps like normal.

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

Thank you

Got it, thanks!

@adent42 When's a fix landing for 10.4.5 Mojave? Will keep posting here until we can use Gamesalad properly.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

@Hypnorabbit said:
    @adent42 When's a fix landing for 10.4.5 Mojave? Will keep posting here until we can use Gamesalad properly.

Haha, double post! I finally got through a major issue on that, thanks to an Apple XCode update. We're in the process of testing. Lot to test since we had to change a lot of stuff to adjust for code that didn't crash before and hard crashes now.

@adent42 said:
    Haha, double post! I finally got through a major issue on that, thanks to an Apple XCode update. We're in the process of testing. Lot to test since we had to change a lot of stuff to adjust for code that didn't crash before and hard crashes now.

Let us know if you want testing help!

@adent42 said:
    Haha, double post!

Double the love.

Looking forward to a fix. I can go without any previewing and that's fine. But as soon as I need to test something visually, I'm screwed. Right now it's a guessing game. Working on some circular paths as per some old @RThurman and @Socks posts so that makes things even more interesting...

• Does anyone know what the last Mac OS that works with latest gamesalad and allows for successful publishing to the App Store?

@chris@fitzsimons.me.uk said:
    Does anyone know what the last Mac OS that works with latest gamesalad and allows for successful publishing to the App Store?

All macOS allow successful publishing to the App Store. The last one to allow accurate, bug free previewing of projects in Creator was High Sierra.

• Many thanks ?

Anything special I need to do to get ironSource working on iOS? I am not seeing any ads.