Android App Bundle

RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

I'm getting this error message when uploading signed .apk to Google Play:

**Unoptimised APK
Warning:

This APK results in unused code and resources being sent to users. Your app could be smaller if you used the Android App Bundle. By not optimising your app for device configurations, your app is larger to download and install on users' devices than it needs to be. Larger apps see lower installation success rates and take up storage on users' devices.

Resolution:

Use the Android App Bundle to automatically optimise for device configurations, or manage it yourself with multiple APKs.**

Can anyone shed any light? Anyone using Android App bundles? Is this something we can do using GameSalad?

Any advice on this @adent42 ?

Comments

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

i coulda sworn i got that when i published an update. i was able to ignore and keep going.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

Thanks @bob loblaw that's what I'm hoping.
    At the moment I'm not getting an option to publish but I'm yet to finish the store listing so hopefully once that's done it will be ok.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Are you using Build RC or the regular Build / Generate?

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@adent42 said:
    Are you using Build RC or the regular Build / Generate?

I'm using RC build. The good news is it didn't stop me publishing so until they make it mandatory I think we should be ok.

• darcanrovego@gmail.comdarcanrovego@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 1

I just found this thread. @adent42, you asked a question about which build. I am also using an RC Build and receiving the same warning from Google Play. Is there anything that can be done about that BEFORE it becomes a requirement?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

We're looking into it now, but trying to get the current android build updated first. Here's the general order of things:

1) Get the current build out with updated ad networks.

2) Get the next build out with APK Expansion files support (i.e. greater than 100mb apps).

3) Start working on a build that outputs Android App Bundles.

The android app bundle thing is going to be a requirement by the end of the year, the last time I looked, so that's definitely a priority for us. I'm hoping to get a proof of concept RC by June and have it launched by August (timelines moved up if google changes anything or announces anything concrete).

The big blocker / delay for 1 is testing the new billing API.

The second one will take a bit to adjust our publishing system, but the in engine code should be relatively straightfwd.

3 is going to need us to modernize our build system all the way, so will likely happen after the bgfx port effort mentioned in another thread.