Memory problem with GS Creator

nir3112nir3112 Member, PRO Posts: 304
edited July 2020 in Working with GS (Mac)

Yesterday I worked on the creator for like 4 hours and everything get slower and slower over time.

so I opened the Activity monitor to see the RAM and the creator took 15.50GB (!!!) I have on my Mac 16GB RAM

I'm on Mojave with 1.25.98 creator.

On version 91 or 94 the creator was fast and the problem was fixed but in the last update its back..]=

Anyone else have that problem or its just me? it will be fixed soon? its hard to work like this..

Thanks!

Comments

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793
    edited July 2020

i’ve not had any issues with .99, and i run catalina with 8gb. i will say though that gs runs better since i upgraded to a ssd.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

This used to be a problem but just quitting and reopening GS always fixed it for me. I've not noticed it with .99 and Catalina, though.

@nir3112 I think I see what you mean now.

I fired up gs (with activity monitor running). on its own, the gs splash uses barely anything, but when I opened up my project, the memory usage went up by about 2gb (which isn't the issue). when I closed the project, that memory was still being used according to activity monitor, even though only the gs splash screen was running without the project. then when I re-opened my project, the memory usage jumped by around another 2gb, etc each time I closed and re-opened.

it also does this when you hit 'revert to saved', so in effect, if you're working between gs and level editor, you're machine's memory will get clogged up real fast. last night working on my game it would take ages to go from scene to scene/actor to actor - etc after doing about 30 mins work, and became very annoying.

@adent42 this is probably something that need to be addressed in the next build please

• nir3112nir3112 Member, PRO Posts: 304
    edited August 2020

yes that's what I meant.. in my case after few hours of work the creator was soooo slow it just piss me off... 15GB of RAM was used! so I closed the creator completely and the RAM was fixed.

its hard to work like this.. you are so focused on your app that the process of closing the creator ruin the work flow...x

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@nir3112 @bob loblaw I'm gonna be looking into this stuff next week (Tuesday or so). Which version are you running and on which OS?

Thanks!

• nir3112nir3112 Member, PRO Posts: 304
    edited August 2020

i'm using MacBooks, .98 on Mojave and .98 on Catalina - Both same problem

@adent42 any progress on the memory issue?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

There's some memory I'm still some memory issues I'm having trouble tracking down, but we're working on a release that at least reduces the memory loss per project. I'm hoping to release this week, pending testing.

• realworthygamesrealworthygames Member Posts: 31

I am on windows 10 running the latest gamesalad and also have memory spikes where it says cpu usage 100% and it freezes and closes by itself sometimes. I get lucky sometimes when it stops freezing I can save and close and open it.