Creator 2.0 help

Hi. I am attempting to migrate one of my projects to the creator 2.0 as I have been having so many odd and crash issues with both the mac/windows versions. 

There are a number of errors listed in some of my actors. Its very difficult to locate the error as there is no high-lighting on the error. The error tab is a help but.....

Example: “Error in behavior RHS”. What is RHS? Why does the project work on Windows and Mac and errors here. What is not compatible between 2.0 and the others and is there a list?  If RHS refers to a type of rule then can it state that rule type like “Change Attribute” or “Set table value”?

Is the editor case-sensitive ? so “False” boolean will work but not “false”? or will both be ok?

When you create a NEW project and select a template, all actors/scenes as missing.

Any documentation or videos specific to creator 2.0? Like how to read and write to tables? When you reference a column, can it be by 1 or do we have to create it like a string "1"?

Clicking on actors and set sort to A-Z makes top and bottom actors in list go blank. Have to close and reopen the editor.

I think GameSalad 2.0 needs its own web site/forums. including any differences when publishing to ios/android platforms.

Comments

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

Also, a whole section on working with tables and the expression editor would be good.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Sorry, we need to clean up those error messages some. RHS = right hand side. So for an expression it's what's ever on the right hand side. Clicking on the error should take you to it, but it won't give you a lot of details.

GameSalad's desktop apps can sometimes allow things that are technically not allowed (mostly things in the Windows version). Creator 2.0 was created to handle the ideal of GameSalad without regard to that (at least now). We'll need to back and make some changes to our error checker to allow things like that and show warnings instead of errors.

PM me a link to your project, and that can give me a quick start on fixing those kind of things.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

The expression editor is a bit more "programmery". I think I may have gone overboard in some of the error checking (and in some cases it's not quite right).

It's more-or-less the same as the current expression editor except now you can type attributes and functions and it will autocomplete them inline rather than forcing you to use the browser.

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

Many thanks for the reply. I have sent you a link to my project.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I actually enjoy the new Expression Editor. While it maybe could use some polish, I enjoy the autocomplete and other functionality that comes with the upgrade!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Its been a year since the OP posted this. And its the first Roadblock i hit 30 secs into opening this project in 2.0. Was this ever fixed? Can we get a lil more info on what it is and why it is? whats causing it? how do we fix it? Is there at least one of those famous GS workarounds?

I'd need to see the specific project. Right now there isn't a great work-a-round as it's on a per project basis.

Once I finish the current round of android work, we're going to ad a mode to turn off error checking (or reduce it) so that it doesn't try to figure out what's wrong with expressions.

The main source of things going wrong are:

1) Using scene attributes. Windows lets you reference scene attributes from prototypes, which is a no-no. Creator 2 is like the Mac creator in that it prevents that for now.

2) Boolean expressions. The expression parser in Creator 2 doesn't allow for expressions that resolve to booleans (or the boolean values true and false). So if you want True / False either use 1/0 or use a constant instead of an expression.

Hopefully I can power through the android stuff this week and get on with improving Creator 2!