APK file size variance

Hey guys,

Hopefully you can help me...

I had a game which had a file size of 96.3mb - the apk file for this was a similar size and i added it to the google play store no problem.

I then saved the same game but with some interstitial ads turned on for some page transitions. The file size was almost identical however the apk file suddenly shot up to well over 100mb.

I have removed a lot from the game and now the file size on disc is 78.6 however the apk size is still over 100mb!!!

I don't see how adding a few interstitial ads have added nearly 30mb to the apk. What am i not seeing here???

Comments

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

weird. every time i’ve generated an apk, the size has always been smaller than the gs project file.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,051

@alexwebermusic if you've added ads and didn't enable them before, then what you're seeing is the ad network libraries changing the size of the app.

• alexwebermusicalexwebermusic Member, PRO Posts: 2

@adent42 ah ok, yeah I thought it might have something to do with that. Do we not think that seems a little bit excessive? Seeing as we only have 100mb (android) to play with, a jump of 25mb+ just to have a few ads doesn't quite feel right 😕

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,051

For the 100mb that's somewhat outside of our control.

The networks want what they want. We do remove files for unused networks so we try to slim things down as much as possible, but everything in there is what is required.

If you PM your publishing page, I can take a look and make sure we're not leaving in anything we shouldn't.

On the flip side, we just release support for APK expansion files, so you can now make games over 100mb! Check out this thread:

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/98310/app-binary-rc-1-25-20210309-android-updates-expansion-files-firetv-fix-loading-optimizations#latest