GameSalad tiptoes into the metaverse!

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

GameSalad is partnering with a blockchain project on the ASTAR network.

We'll announce more details shortly, but the idea is to allow you to build and retrofit GameSalad games to take advantage of NFTs as avatars and to integrate play-to-earn mechanics. Eventually we'll build programming interfaces for full on blockchain based gaming!

We're starting by building a special arcade with the project and then graduating to a playful 2D metaverse featuring GameSalad games. What I wanted to ask for now was for people who are interested in:

1) Turning their existing GameSalad games into P2E games by adding a simple reward button or modifying their leaderboard and achievements slightly.

2) People who are interested building new games for this project.

3) People who want to join this new community to help guide a new generation of GameSalad developers!

Fill in this google form and we'll be reaching out to you: https://forms.gle/3ggbmUm7h9XHVKbw7

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Can you elaborate on how the "play to earn" mechanics will work?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

I'm working out the details with the project as we speak, but the general idea is that early games will have an allocation of tokens to give away for achievements (complete a level, game, or score threshold). You'd get to keep some part of the grant to hold and sell on launch.

This means the early games will have a limited lifespan, so arcade / casual games will work best for this phase. If games are popular enough, the community may add to the game's treasury to keep it going and you would get a cut of all the tokens granted to players.

Eventually, as we build out more capabilities, these tokens will have value to the network as IAP currency, DAO voting rights, etc. As the ecosystem grows, the token will have greater value to players.

Hope that helps!

• zarzirzarzir Member, PRO Posts: 128

@adent42 the form says "You need permission"

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Sorry about that, it should be fixed now.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Sounds very cool indeed!

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436

This doesn't make any sense to me, but I am in if you want me.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

As exciting as this is, would really appreciate you finding time to fix custom resolution on the desktop editor preview window. They do not save and have to be typed in every single time. No preset for long form phones.

I've flagged this on numerous occasions and been promised a fix soon. Instead you seem to keep moving onto new endeavours. Please fix the fundamentals first, thank you...rant over.

• DNGAMEMAKERDNGAMEMAKER Member, PRO Posts: 6

Will you be able to have an earn bitcoin feature?

@DNGAMEMAKER for this effort no, it will only work with the currency and blockchain of the metaverse we're working with. As we perfect the technology there, we'll spread out to other blockchains though most likely it will be with EVM (ethereum virtual machine) compatible networks. We'll likely never support bitcoin because transaction costs can get so high. Even now it's $1.04 per transaction. ETH transactions are high too, but many networks based on the same tech are much cheaper.

• DNGAMEMAKERDNGAMEMAKER Member, PRO Posts: 6

@adent42 Thanks for your response. You could look into Stacks which is sort of like a layer 2 for Bitcoin or somehow making use of the lightning network.

@DNGAMEMAKER going to definitely look into that!

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited June 2022

@adent42 @Armelline @DNGAMEMAKER @Hypnorabbit @adriangomez @The Glessnerd @zarzir

Play to earn mechanics and NFT integration would be absolutely amazing, opening doors for endless opportunities.

I realize our community might not be well versed in blockchain gaming, so let me make it simple:

Play to earn: Gamers play and can:

1 collect/win tokens which are a cryptocurrency (instead of abstract stars or coins we currently use) and then convert these into real money on crypto exchanges.

2 Buy, for example, a game character or item and level it up and sell it for more on a trading platform like Opensea.

Developers: Sell original characters / game items and also collect royalties every time these are traded (average 5% of the transaction). Devs can also give out the items for free and earn just trading royalties,

There lies the gaming revolution we are entering!

Player own their items and can sell/trade or even breed them for real dollar value.

For this to become a reality Gamesalad would need to integrate with crypto wallets, a blockchain and token support..

Exchanges, trading platform, cryptocurrencies and api for integration are all there waiting to be used!

The Crypto gaming industry is growing faster than internet itself between 1994 and 2004, with enough crypto native gamers, as of now, to make billion dollar crypto game valuations a reality. None of these are AAA games, we are talking about very simple 2d games that could be create with GameSalad in fact!

This is also an opportunity for GameSalad's second coming!

P.S @adent42 I strongly advise on using Ethereum for NFT as 99% of trading volume for NFTs is on the Ethereum network.

Having to trade and acquire NFTS on others blockchain would be like shooting ourselves in the foot before the race.

As you already know, all serious NFTs trade on the ETH blockchain period.

Layer 2 or Matic for transactions.👍️

@blob do you know how apple/google treat Play to earn apps?

my feeling is that it wont be A walk in the park

You also need a way to paste/copy wallet address which is not possible with gamesalad, I wonder how it will be handled

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited June 2022

@zarzir

Most crypto games are Html5 browser games as of now. By the time we have a tangible p2e GameSalad build Apple and Google will have crypto policies in place for their app stores, it's inevitable and will likely have a bigger impact than IOS gaming did in 2011.

As for copy pasting, in crypto the wallet is read by the app directly, there's no need to copy paste anything, You just grant access with one click.

Ok I see, forgot about the html5 thing (:

Yah, we'll be doing most of this work for HTML5. Aside from loading up NFTS (which could be a valuable use case), stores won't look favorably on crypto stuff in the short run. I know some games will put out their own side-loadable APKs, so we may look into that at some point too, but in the short term it's all about the HTML5 engine.

• izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
    edited July 2022

I look forward to this. Also, hoping you guys use Matic based tokens. gas on Matic are a fraction of ethereum's.

I am building inside the Sandbox Game right now and this news only makes me so much more bullish for Gamesalad. I hope you guys execute this well.

• izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
  • smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

thats excellent.. Should we not start a thread for the changes we'd like to see in GS???

If you'd like to request a change or feature, just do each one in a separate thread. That lets us discuss that single change and/or respond in one place when it's done.

• comluvercomluver Member Posts: 2

So, you say it’s possible to make money from playing? I’m new to this, and it’s what I understood from the OP. NFTs are going crazy now, and there seem to be so many people around who make tons of money on this electronic stuff. That’s why I decided to research the topic and stumbled upon your forum.

I’ve been doing ecn trading for quite some time now, and it’s a nice way of making money. However, I want to develop in this regard, and, at the moment, the NFTs seem to be the logical continuation of my aspirations. I was late for the crypto train, and I hope to hop on in the NTF one in time.