GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your plans for game center?

jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
The other game center thread went way off course, so this is a new one. We know game center is in the pipeline, and they are working hard to get it to us. When? I dont know, but they know how important it is to us.

Let's assume hat leader boards come first and multiplayer down the road. What would you use it for? What sort of leader boards are you planning? What kinds of achievements?

Ive prefixed achievements into my game already using attributes, so hopefully i will be able to easily use those attributes to trigger achievements once game center is out. I'd love for the first time a player opens the app after gc is out for them to receive all achievements they have unlocked.

Comments

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    Im not sure closing the other thread was really necessary... I know you kept warning you were going to, but Im not sure it was really your place to do so.

Yes...there were other issues being discussed in it, but quite a few were valid discussions...
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256Member
    Chunkypixels said:
    Im not sure closing the other thread was really necessary... I know you kept warning you were going to, but Im not sure it was really your place to do so.

There were other issues being discussed in it, but quite a few were valid discussions...

It definetly should have been closed. All it was, was you guys b****ing and comparing corona to gamesalad. Now lets keep this one on topic, or im sure jon will close it, which he should!
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    It definetly should have been closed. All it was, was you guys b****ing and comparing corona to gamesalad.

I dont recall me mentioning the virtues of Corona...maybe I'll go back and reread my posts.

And yes...Corona was overly discussed, but there were plenty of other points and discussions made too that are only going to keep resurfacing in future threads.

Are we really that thin skinned that we cant read a thread for what it is, and discuss the underlying issues?
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKPosts: 2,484Member
    My first achievement will be to unlock a Corona license code for the user :) hahah

I've not really thought about GC a huge amount yet but obviously a lot of people will be using leaderboards for high scores but I'm really looking forward to what you guys have planned, achievements wise.

Ace
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKPosts: 2,484Member
    P.S. Stop bickering
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256Member
    Chunkypixels said:
    I dont recall me mentioning the virtues of Corona...maybe I'll go back and reread my posts.

And yes...Corona was overly discussed, but there were plenty of other points and discussions made too. Are we really that thin skinned that we cant read a thread for what it is?

sorry i didnt mean it as YOU and everyone else, i just meant in general as most of the people taking part in the thread.

I think we can all agree that thread was way out of hand. It went from when are we gettting gamecenter, to what corona has doesnt have, videos of corona being posted, people complaining for no reason, then joe got dragged into it.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    I want to make ridiculously named achievements. LOL I have always hated all of the achievement stuff in all system xbox live and Playstation network too. But now that I have GameCenter in some of my favorite games i'm addicted to trying get all of their achievements. LOL

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• cbowers428cbowers428 Posts: 176Member
    Just high scores and achievements, basic but big things. I have games that really can't survive without them. And don't say "Oh well if the game isnt good without it then it won't be good with it". That's false. For example, Doodle Jump wouldnt be anything without high scores...
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Posts: 681Member
    Just a suggestion-maybe instead of implementing game center, gamesalad could come up with their own "score-storing" system....
  • mzxmzx Posts: 151Member
    cbowers428 said:
    Just high scores and achievements, basic but big things. I have games that really can't survive without them. And don't say "Oh well if the game isnt good without it then it won't be good with it". That's false. For example, Doodle Jump wouldnt be anything without high scores...

I don't think game's wouldn't be great without achievements, if that's so, you'll have to make a better game :). But I DO think it's a BIG advantage, and I would be very happy when gamesalad include it in their editor :D!
  • cbowers428cbowers428 Posts: 176Member
    mzx said:
    I don't think game's wouldn't be great without achievements, if that's so, you'll have to make a better game :). But I DO think it's a BIG advantage, and I would be very happy when gamesalad include it in their editor :D!

Not so much achievements, just the competitiveness that comes from having a high score list which makes everyone come back. Tbh idc about gamecenter that much, i just need high scores openfeint or something
  • hackmodfordhackmodford Posts: 48Member
    I am going to wait for gamecenter before I release the game I'm working on.... but even then I've just got a basic game engine at this point and am working on the artwork now, so it might come out before I'm done anyways :D
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Posts: 2,033Member
    Leaderboards are an important part of keeping players interested in keeping on playing a game (especially if their friends all have the game too)

The latest big game we are working on would benefit from leaderboards massively....Leaderboards per-level would be awesome.

Achievements, I'm not so fussed about, as I think doing those "in game" is more seamless for the player. But I guess to tie up those offline achievements with an online version will be cool.
  • AquariusAquarius Posts: 282Member
    iTouchGamer said:
    Just a suggestion-maybe instead of implementing game center, gamesalad could come up with their own "score-storing" system....

no...just ...no....

lol

seriously tho.. that wouldnt be smart.. gamecenter is already iOS' online leaderboard/ achievement thing.
    and the other alternative is openfeint.

theres absolutely NO OTHER reason why we should have ANOTHER online community that does the same thing...
  • TeamLava8TeamLava8 Posts: 294Member, PRO
    Do you think releasing a game now and then adding the leaderboard functionality later has a negative impact on your games?

At least the success of them?

Making the world better one pixel at a time!

My Website
    Over 70 AWESOME Gamesalad Templates by me!
    HIRE ME!

• PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    This thread reminds me of Rocky III.

"What's your prediction for the fight?"
    "My prediction?!"
    "Yes"
    "Pain!"
  • DizkoDizko Posts: 498Member
    I'm not thinking about it.
    jayleedesigns said:
    Do you think releasing a game now and then adding the leaderboard functionality later has a negative impact on your games?

If you can stand to wait an undetermined amount of time to add GameCenter then it would prob be the best to wait. Me personally I'll Keep making games and figure out how to implement something later on.

___________________________________________________________________________________
    GS BubbleBall Template HERE!!
    Stacks Level Selection Template HERE!! Now only $20
    AppSolute Entertainment on Facebook

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    Yea, the problem is one its out, you'll never be at the top of the new releases again, so save everything for that initial release. It doesn't make sense any more to release with 50 levels and say 50 more are coming at a later date? What if the game bombs? You don't want to put all that time in for 1-2 sales a day. It's better launching with everything you want and really market it.
    jonmulcahy said:
    Yea, the problem is one its out, you'll never be at the top of the new releases again, so save everything for that initial release. It doesn't make sense any more to release with 50 levels and say 50 more are coming at a later date? What if the game bombs? You don't want to put all that time in for 1-2 sales a day. It's better launching with everything you want and really market it.

Yeah absolutely, but i'm also not going to not release a game for 6+ months because GameSalad Says its coming. You may remember a big picture post Oct or Nov 2010 that implied Game Center was coming in the next release. three versions and 6 months later no Game Center still. At least when you update and add GameCenter it will go on a new list visible to GameCenter users who are friends with people who already have your game. And yeah I made the more levels to come mistake on my first game and never again will I do that.

• DizkoDizko Posts: 498Member
    jayleedesigns said:

I'll be the only guy here who will say it doesn't matter as much as people think it does.

Does it matter? Sure, of course it does.
    But it's not going to make your break your game, in my opinion anyway.
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    tenrdrmer said:
    Yeah absolutely, but i'm also not going to not release a game for 6+ months because GameSalad Says its coming. You may remember a big picture post Oct or Nov 2010 that implied Game Center was coming in the next release.

I don't remember that. From what I remember, Game Center was always off in the distance.
    tenrdrmer said:
    three versions and 6 months later no Game Center still.

I don't remember when GameSalad said anything definitive about Game Center.

Until...
    SF said:
    Finally, we’ve reviewed your feedback on the forums and in our feature survey and decided to make GameCenter leaderboards a top priority, with the goal of introducing it in our next release.

That's black and white... no speculation... they're planning to add leaderboards in the next release.

So, the speculation is more about the next release... is it today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next season, next year? I don't know for certain when the next update will be. I do know this... I'm planning to release BOT next month.

Should I delay the launch of BOT until Game Center support is added? It's a tough decision. I don't know.

I might make some noise about this issue as my game is almost complete. I'm building a really good game. Game Center would make it even better.

I think it's a good idea for GameSalad to let developers know EXACTLY when these features are arriving. That way, we could prepare our games. When our games do well, that's good for GameSalad. Other developers will be curious about which software was used to create the game.

Heh, I imagine that there are going to be some really surprised people when I finally launch BOT.

"NO WAY?! YOU MADE THAT WITH GAMESALAD?!"
This discussion has been closed.