GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High score question:

crazycowcrazycow Posts: 21Member
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Is there anyway of being able to save highscores, even if the person closes the app? I'm using a system I found in a Youtube vid, but with that if you close the game all your high scores are reset.. Thanks for reading and I hope there's an answer to my question.

Comments

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,380Member, Sous Chef
    Yes, using the save attribute and load attribute behavior.

Check out the cookbook videos under support at the top, there is one on that topic
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    Yes, just use the save and load behaviors.

- Alex

Edit: Dang to slow :)
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Custom Soundtracks and Sound Effects
    Vertical/Horizontal Level Select Template
    Mac Mini For SALE!!!
  • crazycowcrazycow Posts: 21Member
    I've done that and it still resets to 0..
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    There's some place you aren't loading the attribute, or loading it correctly when it goes into a scene, I think.

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

If you don't mind, please could someone explain briefly the best way of keeping highscores then:)
  • DrGlickertDrGlickert Posts: 1,135Member
    First off, are you using an Ad-Hoc game? Or are you testing it in the viewer/creator?

The way that I keep high scores is this;

When the level is over, I have an attribute that triggers when the level is over.

I have an actor that has a rule;
    When level is over, save attribute game.score KEY: level1score (or score, or whatever you want based on how your game is setup).

When the game starts in my opening scene I have a Load attribute on a tiny actor that's has VISIBILITY unchecked and it has all the Load Attributes for the game.
    I'm using the creator for testing. I tried that but it still resets to 0
    Bump.
    It allways resets it too 0, no matter what I do.. I'm really annoyed xD
  • devjohnsondevjohnson Posts: 94Member
    The save attribute function does not work when you are testing using the gamesalad client. You will need to make sure you are using the gamesalad viewer application on your iphone, or you have installed an ad hoc version.
    devjohnson said:
    The save attribute function does not work when you are testing using the gamesalad client. You will need to make sure you are using the gamesalad viewer application on your iphone, or you have installed an ad hoc version.

You need an Itunes dev thingie for the viewer, right? And what's the ad hoc version?
    crazycow said:
    I'm using the creator for testing. I tried that but it still resets to 0

You have to play an ad-hoc version or play the game that's been published to save/load attributes. Did you watch the video?
    DrGlickert said:
    You have to play an ad-hoc version or play the game that's been published to save/load attributes. Did you watch the video?

I'm guessing no because that was stressed upon.

Saving and loading only works in the viewer / adhoc builds. It will not work in the creator.
    What's the Adhoc mode/version?
    crazycow said:
    What's the Adhoc mode/version?

Have you paid the $99 for the developer's license from Apple?

If you go to the dev page you can select to publish an "adhoc" version to practice on your phone/device.
    Do you need an Apple Dev account for all these modes?
    In order to put anything on your device, you must be a developer.
    Yes, you have to pay the $99 for the dev license.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    crazycow said:
    Do you need an Apple Dev account for all these modes?

Yes its the only way you can test iOS applications. If you plan to be a developer you will need to register as such.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

Okay, thanks.. I'll have to consider if it's worth it.. Is it?
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Posts: 681Member
    crazycow said:
    Okay, thanks.. I'll have to consider if it's worth it.. Is it?

Only if you want the games you're creating to make it to the App Store. If you're doing this just for fun, it's not worth it.

It's already worth it for me, and I haven't made any money yet lol
  • mangaroomangaroo Posts: 419Member
    its awesome to see the game in your hands. lets you have a look at the framesPerSecond as well and if you can release within the year then go for it :)
This discussion has been closed.