GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.82 Patch is Now Live!

YodapolloYodapollo Posts: 447Inactive
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hey, everybody.

We've just launched a patch for the latest build of GameSalad. This is GameSalad 0.9.82 and should resolve a great deal of the most serious issues that popped up from the 0.9.80 build about 11 days ago.

We resolved various issues related to the new Asset Manager, which was causing projects to drastically drop in performance when in specific scenes. We've also resolved a related memory leak that caused some projects to eventually crash.

Also resolved is an issue that caused Sound FX volume to break on Ad-Hoc projects. There was also an issue with "mouse down/up" commands incorrectly triggering Otherwise behaviors within rules. This has been resolved as well.

We've also completed a fix that improves the issue related to "white flashes" on custom splash screens on the iPad. We're working on introducing this fix to our live publishing servers ASAP. This fix/issue is not tied to any specific build of Creator.

While this build resolves a number of issues introduced with GameSalad Creator 0.9.80, we will continue to make engine performance our top priority for development, and will be introducing more significant improvements in the next major build.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and for your incredible help in tracking down and identifying these issues. If you should encounter any trouble with GameSalad 0.9.82, please let us know via our Feedback form.

GameSalad 0.9.82 Release Notes:

Bug Fixes:

GS Viewer:  Fixed various issues with the Asset Manager causing projects to drastically drop in performance when in specific scenes.

GS Viewer:  Repaired memory leak which was causing projects to eventually crash

Sound FX:  'Reset Game' no longer breaks Sound FX volume on Ad-Hoc projects

Rule Conditions:  Otherwise will no longer incorrectly trigger when receiving a "mouse down/up" command that was originally triggered in a previous rule.

Known Issues:

Sound FX:  It is possible that after playing a game for an extended period of time, sound files (not music!) will fade in and out. For example, an explosion sound suddenly stop playing for a bit, then start up again shortly after.  

This issue is extremely rare and our development team is still working to fully track down the cause of this bug. As soon as the issue is fully diagnosed, we will resolve it and push the fix live in a future release.

--Yodapollo
«134

Comments

  • fzeedfzeed Posts: 247Member
    Do i need to compile a new build for my devices or can i just install the creator update?
  • YodapolloYodapollo Posts: 447Inactive
    @fzeed

    Just to be safe, you'll probably want to compile new builds of your projects with 0.9.82.

    --Yodapollo
  • olster1olster1 Posts: 396Member
    Good news :D Any word on a fix for audio files not playing on the old intel core duo iMacs?
  • jacopokenzojacopokenzo Posts: 4Member
    I still can not successfully compile and install iphone app!
    xcode returns me this error:
    Error Starting Executable “GameSalad Viewer”

    why???
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    Thank you, GameSalad peeps.

    I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Posts: 1,339Member
    Memory held steady after numerous level restarts - nice! Happy again thanks GS!

    Member since November 2009 :D
    Twitter: @SingleSparq Web: www.singlesparq.com

  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    jacopokenzo said:
    I still can not successfully compile and install iphone app!
    xcode returns me this error:
    Error Starting Executable “GameSalad Viewer”

    why???

    The new xcode caused me quite a few problems to get setup initially. Just keep trying. Have not watched TSB'd video but i'm sure it will be helpful if you follow step by step.

    It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    jacopokenzo said:
    I still can not successfully compile and install iphone app!
    xcode returns me this error:
    Error Starting Executable “GameSalad Viewer”

    why???

    The new xcode caused me quite a few problems to get setup initially. Just keep trying. Have not watched TSB'd video but i'm sure it will be helpful if you follow step by step.

    It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Posts: 1,246Member
    Thanks for the quick update!
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Posts: 233Member
    Good stuff.

    Question is how this bug fixing has affected the next release and it's features.

    Will there still be an " October" release with previously mentioned features, or can we expect all/part to be pushed back to november?
  • jacopokenzojacopokenzo Posts: 4Member
    tshirtbooth said:
    jacopokenzo follow my new video and see if you did everything correctly

    its at www.gshelper.com

    cheers

    I followed the video step by step, but does not work anyway!
    I do not understand, because the procedure is always the same, but this time there's an error!
    What can i do? Thx
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    jacopokenzo said:
    I followed the video step by step, but does not work anyway!
    I do not understand, because the procedure is always the same, but this time there's an error!
    What can i do? Thx

    Please open up a new thread for this. It has nothing to do with the GameSalad Patch.

    Thanks.

    It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    Great news Yoda! It is so exciting to send out the first build of one of our upcoming apps to our QA Team hopefully tonight. Thanks to the entire GameSalad team for working so hard these past several days in order to get this patch out. You guys are awesome!!!

    - Alex
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    Hi Yoda, thanks for the fast update. Unfortunately there is still the OpenUrl bug with the mailto links ( http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=33372 ) that need to be addressed as soon as possible. I've already sent a bug report but I haven't received any reply so far.

    Also while you're fixing the OpenUrl behavior please consider the idea of eliminating the inapp browser or at least to leave the choice of using it to us. There are situations where we want to send the user directly to the App Store and with the way it works right now it isn't possible and the user when returning to our apps will also be presented with the white inapp browser page.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    MarkOnTheIron said:
    Hi Yoda, thanks for the fast update. Unfortunately there is still the OpenUrl bug with the mailto links ( http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=33372 ) that need to be addressed as soon as possible. I've already sent a bug report but I haven't received any reply so far.

    Also while you're fixing the OpenUrl behavior please consider the idea of eliminating the inapp browser or at least to leave the choice of using it to us. There are situations where we want to send the user directly to the App Store and with the way it works right now it isn't possible and the user when returning to our apps will also be presented with the white inapp browser page.

    I definitely Agree here. We need to be able to choose if we want the in App Browser to be used for a link or not. The More flexibility the better IMO.

    It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

  • Fodder76Fodder76 Posts: 154Member
    Very happy with this update so far! It even fixed a bug that I noticed that was so obscure I didn't even know how to go about posting it. But it was similar to Darrens jetpack bug, something to do with gravity. So happy that's fixed!
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    tenrdrmer said:
    I definitely Agree here. We need to be able to choose if we want the in App Browser to be used for a link or not. The More flexibility the better IMO.

    +1. While I think the idea of an in-app browser is great, I agree we need the flexibility to determine when and when not to use it. Not to be too picky, but it would be great to have in a small update.

    - Alex
  • sebmacflysebmacfly Posts: 1,018Member
    Thanks for the Update, i'm testing it....
  • RumiRumi Posts: 343Member, PRO
    hey, why is it 0.9.82 instead of 0.9.81
    Its a conspiracy!
    :)
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Posts: 2,090Member, PRO
    tenrdrmer said:
    I definitely Agree here. We need to be able to choose if we want the in App Browser to be used for a link or not. The More flexibility the better IMO.

    totally +1

    We Should be able to Chose.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Posts: 447Inactive
    Hey, guys!

    Glad to hear the update is working well so far. Also, the feedback on the In-App Browser has definitely been heard. We're working on some fixes and redesigns to address the concerns brought up here. You can expect to see those in one of the next couple of updates.

    --Yodapollo
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, guys!

    Glad to hear the update is working well so far. Also, the feedback on the In-App Browser has definitely been heard. We're working on some fixes and redesigns to address the concerns brought up here. You can expect to see those in one of the next couple of updates.

    --Yodapollo

    Good to hear Yoda, thanks for the update on the update planned for the latest update :)

    In other news, 0.9.82 is running great so far! I've had to do some last minute fixes on one of our apps before it goes out for testing, and so far everything is working smoothly. Thanks again.

    - Alex
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Posts: 452Member
    After downloading I repeatedly get an error stating:

    "Update Error!
    An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later."

    I've logged in and out a bunch of times. Anyone else getting this?
  • MammothMammoth Posts: 640Member
    Thanks guys you rock!

    www.mammothinteractive.net
  • creativeappscreativeapps Posts: 1,770Member
    Means loading performance and memory usage issue solved with this update?
    And when we uncheck preloader art it will work fast like this video?

  • WalkaboutoracleWalkaboutoracle Posts: 3Member
    ok guys I am lost where do we download the latest patch
  • YodapolloYodapollo Posts: 447Inactive
    @Walkaboutoracle,

    Here are the links to download the patch and the new Viewer:

    GameSalad Creator 0.9.82
    GameSalad Viewer 0.9.82

    Let us know if you have any problems. Thanks!

    --Yodapollo
  • McBeezyMcBeezy Posts: 1Member
    Any estimation on how this will effect the 0.9.9 update?

    EDIT: That came out unappreciative. VERY grateful for the fixes, just eagerly awaiting Tables for a proposed feature.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    Yodapollo said:
    Also, the feedback on the In-App Browser has definitely been heard. We're working on some fixes and redesigns to address the concerns brought up here. You can expect to see those in one of the next couple of updates.

    Hi Yoda, thanks for addressing this issue. However it is not really acceptable that we will be able to see a fix "in one of the next couple of updates". This should be fixed soon with a new patch.

    I have 3 updates and 1 (maybe 2) new game that are ready for upload and as the OpenURL is right now I can't upload them.

    Pleas fix this as soon as possible.

    ________________________________
    【ツ】iPhone Icon Pack (compatible with DBA Icon Creator) 【ツ】 - 【ツ】Graphic Pack【ツ】
    Free GS demo: High score simple and advanced; Game Center; App Rating System; Custom Font Score and Countdown; Advanced Snap to Grid
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    MarkOnTheIron said:
    Hi Yoda, thanks for addressing this issue. However it is not really acceptable that we will be able to see a fix "in one of the next couple of updates". This should be fixed soon with a new patch.

    I have 3 updates and 1 (maybe 2) new game that are ready for upload and as the OpenURL is right now I can't upload them.

    Pleas fix this as soon as possible.

    ________________________________
    【ツ】iPhone Icon Pack (compatible with DBA Icon Creator) 【ツ】 - 【ツ】Graphic Pack【ツ】
    Free GS demo: High score simple and advanced; Game Center; App Rating System; Custom Font Score and Countdown; Advanced Snap to Grid

    I agree. We were able to send users directly to the appstore before, surely giving us a simple switch for if we want it in-app or external wouldn't be hard. With the white screen thing thats a bug you decided to skip over, we shouldn't have to wait month(s) for you to fix it in an update! Patches are the way forward for things like these my friends.

    Now on to performance ... More testing to do but seems to be running a lot better and memory stable. Well done on fixing.
This discussion has been closed.