GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Attempt At Real Cover Flow (WIP)

EIGHTHSINEIGHTHSIN Posts: 132Member
edited August 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hi Guys,

There have been a few attempts at creating cover flow, however what these essentially are, are sliding the cam back and fourth with several interpolation rules that alter the size of the icons, which do look great, but they are still lacking that cover flow feel. The issue with Real Cover flow is that it requires distortion abilities like skew, and also it requires reordering of layers. I have attempted to create this using a few techniques, the following video illustrates what I have so far...

I am going to work on making the easing more smooth, and once its done, I may provide it to all as a free template...

Comments

• carlblanchetcarlblanchet Posts: 755Member
    Damn.. That's looking really sick!
  • EIGHTHSINEIGHTHSIN Posts: 132Member
    Cheers @carlblanchet,

I'm going to ease the central actor while sliding so it reduces the snappiness of the easing and makes it look a little more fluid. In order to accomplish the skewing I created 3 images, one flat, one skewed in one direction and another in the other direction. I also created a reflection within this actor to give it that little extra. Provided users can create their own skewed images, I think once I manage the above, I'll neaten it up a bit and post as a free template :)
  • lycettebroslycettebros Posts: 1,598Member, PRO
    Yeah you need to get a 'tween' of the movement of the slide...looking good though!

Be careful Apple may reject its use if it is too much like their cover flow! In fact they could sue now ;)
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 8,960Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Looks pretty cool! Well done so far!
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    Some great work you've been showing @EIGHTHSIN. On the side, what's your background in? Just curious, care to share? :)
  • EIGHTHSINEIGHTHSIN Posts: 132Member
    Cheers guys!

@Chobbiface, cheers for acknowledging my work, I appreciate all the support I'm getting here! I'm happy to share, I did my masters in Mech Engineering and thought it would be wise to get into this booming app game. Naturally, I hated coding, lol, but had a very logical thinking process, which has been nurtured carefully over the 4 years at Uni. Inevitably GameSalad found me, and the rest is history in the making :)
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 554Member
    crazy guy u r..
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Posts: 2,033Member
    I love it when we get a member who likes to think outside the box and push GS to its limits (or make it do stuff it's not designed to do)

Nice.
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    @EIGHTHSIN interesting to know! I guess most of us are here because we hate coding :)
    Look forward to your future projects!
This discussion has been closed.