GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

character gets distorted when he rotates

I've made my main actor 64x64 however when he rotates his edges become really jagged and he looks really bad. Is there a way or improving how he looks when he rotates?

thanks

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member
    edited February 2013
    Place a 1 pixel transparent boarder around the edge to force GS into anti-aliasing the edges.

So basically in Photoshop (or whatever program you are using) shrink your actor down to 63x63 on a 64x64 canvas.

(ignore the 2 pixel recommendation in my illustration, it only needs to be 1 pixel !!)

• MantoManto Posts: 793Member
    Socks said:

Place a 1 pixel transparent boarder around the edge to force GS into anti-aliasing the edges.

So basically in Photoshop (or whatever program you are using) shrink your actor down to 63x63 on a 64x64 canvas.

(ignore the 2 pixel recommendation in my illustration, it only needs to be 1 pixel !!)

The actor should probably be 62x62 on a 64x64 canvas to get a 1 pixel transparent border all around the actor.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member
    edited February 2013
    Manto1 said:

The actor should probably be 62x62 on a 64x64 canvas to get a 1 pixel transparent border all around the actor.

Whoops ! Yes, I should have said a 62x62 pixel image (rather than 63x63) . . . so there is a 1 pixel transparent boarder around the edge on a 64x64 pixel canvas.

I won't edit my original post, I will leave it there as penance for my mistake, it will bring shame on my family, humiliating shame, but deserved shame.
  • coulesycoulesy Posts: 3Member
    Great thanks I'll give that a go!
    I tried what you said but it doesnt appear tohave worked.
    The actor is 64x64 png 24 with at least 1 pixel around the edge yet it still does this.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/chickenu.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/edgesl.jpg/
  • CORE GameCORE Game Posts: 277Member, PRO
    what is the image size ? is it 64x64 same as the actor ?

hi yes I've tried it all different ways. the character is 62x62 with a border which is 64 x 64. i've also tried having it at 128x128. It just seems to be an aliasing problem. Any ideas?
  • CORE GameCORE Game Posts: 277Member, PRO
    can you create a new project (just add the image and the box and rotate it..if it shows the same please zip it and send it here I will take a look.

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Posts: 6,577Member, Sous Chef, PRO

Hi @coulesy I notice that the images you supplied as reference are jpeg. As well, @socks good advice refers to edges of rectangles only, not any pixels inside.

So a couple of suggestions: make the image png when you export it out of your program; and depending which one you use, export to include transparency so you have a transparent background.

Not saying it'll work, but you should get slightly better results, fingers crossed...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

This discussion has been closed.