GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Northern lights with particles

Hey people,

I was wondering if anyone knew a good setup for a Northern Lights "aora borealis" effect with particles. I've been playing around quite a bit and have hopeless results. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870Member, Sous Chef
    Something like that might be better accomplished with an animation. That's a lot for particles to accomplish. Although, you could take a look at DBA's particle tricks, maybe there's something in there that can help.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/gs-particle-set-1/

http://www.deepblueapps.com/gs-particles-set-2/

I have no friends. I'm a loser that makes video games all day. Will you be my friend?

• Pocket_TechPocket_Tech Posts: 50Member
    Yeah I tried altering the snow and mist in DBA's first version, by just using the mist and changing it to a nice green colour but couldn't achieve the cool running streaks seen in a real aora borealis. I know I can animate it but would prefer a particle setup. Thanks for the advice thought. :)>-
  • wayneh001wayneh001 Posts: 300Member
    @[email protected].com

Using the Particle Kits available from DBA - I've changed the images and added an oscillating effect to the particle spawner to create a very basic Northern Lights effect. With a few further refinements and tweaking I'm sure you'll achieve the results you're looking for.

Here's a quick video...

The template/project can be downloaded from here:
    DBA NORTHERN LIGHTS EXAMPLE PROJECT [ZIP]

As @SlickZero has pointed out, we have more particle effects available from our site. All of the effects use the same 'base' mechanics - but with different images and settings to achieve the visual results.

Hope it helps
    Wayne
    www.deepblueapps.com

• SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member
    @wayneh001

Pretty damn excellent ! :)>-
  • Pocket_TechPocket_Tech Posts: 50Member
    Sweet nice work @wayneh001 I'm sure I can tweak that to my likings. Gotta love www.deepblueapps.com
  • kolabokolabo Posts: 240Member
    @wayneh001 Very nice!

This discussion has been closed.