GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of GameSalad 6-26-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
edited July 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post.

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

We’re still holding off on releasing any new stable builds. More bug fixes and optimizations are in progress in the nightly builds. Head over to the “PRO - Working With GameSalad” forum for more info.

What’s New This Week?

1. Brian Hapgood is still digging into the code this week. He’s integrated a sweet new profiler (http://sourceforge.net/projects/shinyprofiler/) that he’ll be using to direct his optimization efforts. He’s also started documenting our code. Go figure!

2. We made an offer to a senior software tester. Looks like he’ll be starting next week. More manpower FTW!

3. We’re continuing to look for some new hires to help cover some weaknesses in our current staffing. Will keep you abreast of the developments on this front.

4. We’re spending quite a bit of time cleaning up our Android development environment to make debugging / feature addition easier. It’s a bit of nasty cleanup and rework, but it’s worth it in the end.

5. We’re still doing another refactor of our Lua code to properly support async multiplayer. Progress is being made!

6. Loading wheel code changes are underway.

7. HTML5 engine optimization for the Tizen platform is happening this week.

8. We’re doing an initial design pass on custom behavior scripting support for the engine. Thoughts are being collected and a plan is being formulated.

9. Various fixes on nightly builds. Take a look at the pro forums for more info.

10. We're finalizing the design of the upgraded cross promotion bar this week as well. Looking good!

11. @RhiannonSalad has been assigned to the engineering team full time to help investigate user projects and get to the bottom of performance problems / bugs for us. Super helpful. Expect to see her lurking more often!

12. We've decided a reasonably decent methodology for preparing stable builds for regular release. We'll have more info on this soon once we've decided when we'll make the next one. :)

Comments

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKPosts: 956Member, Sous Chef
    Excellent! We appreciate all the effort happening at GSHQ!
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    All sounding good and positive :)
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Posts: 1,792Member
    Number 8 sounds interesting. Hope the new and promoted peeps are enjoying it so far. :)

Give me a buzz if you need some original music in your games.

• RoksaltRoksalt Posts: 87Member
    All sounds good

...but I've been holding off releasing a clients game due to the pause screen issue... I know it's fixed in the nightly builds but still waiting for next stable...

Please release ASAP thanks

Quality & Affordable iOS, Android & Mac Developers: www.roksalt.co.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    @Rocksalt .. Why not publish with the nightly build?
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Posts: 676Member
    edited June 2013
    No stable build? :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((
  • ChakkuChakku Posts: 1,513Member
    @CodeWizard
    I forgot to remind you today! Sorry ;)

Looking good! :D

Chakku :)>-
  • HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member
    Excellent news GS team.

1. Profiling, optimising, yay!

2. Senior software tester, yay!

11. Awesome to hear @RhiannonSalad has been assigned to help investigate user projects full time. Excellent.

The improvements to product and process are continuing unabated. Fantastic.

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,603Member

8. We’re doing an initial design pass on custom behavior scripting support for the engine. Thoughts are being collected and a plan is being formulated.

So wait, this means implementing code in to the Creator? I'd assume the added code would need to be Lua?

Thanks for the updates!
    - Thomas

Ignore females. Acquire currency.

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Posts: 1,603Member
    PBEmpire said:

No stable build? :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

I'd personally rather they get all their ducks in order with staffing and direction changes before releasing one. Hopefully the release schedule will be much better after this release :-SS
    - Thomas

Ignore females. Acquire currency.

• 921creative921creative Posts: 140Member, PRO
    How are we progressing on custom fonts?
  • MSEagle2MSEagle2 Posts: 98Member, PRO

So wait, this means implementing code in to the Creator? I'd assume the added code would need to be Lua?

Thanks for the updates!
    - Thomas
    It would make the most sense for them, and the most sense for bettering the product. Would bump GS into the league of corona/other lua scripted engines (or at least a lot closer to that league than GS is right now) and be very enticing for people that use a popular lua based engine to try GS out.

• ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    i thought the term nightly build meant that it gets released nightly or.. every other night or at least every other night once a week.... just curious why it's not called monthly build or such.. just being.. critical.. been waiting for a stable software for 2 years.. and a lot has changed..(for the better actually.. and will share with you guys when the time comes).
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 554Member
    edited June 2013
    Super exciting times... (:| (:| (:| (:|
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Posts: 646Member
    @Daveinpublic big and right words!
    ---
    Benjamin
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAPosts: 621Member, PRO
    edited June 2013
    SWEETNESS....coming soon to a build near you..... :O)
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member
    Chakku said:

@CodeWizard
    I forgot to remind you today! Sorry ;)

Looking good! :D

Chakku :)>-

@Chakku

Maybe I should remind you on Tuesdays.
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Posts: 712Member

This is super exciting as once this is out people can start coding their own behaviours. I can see plenty of new features coming from the community first, that the GS devs just won't have time to get round to for a while.

Why not check out my development blog?

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    edited June 2013
    @ultima
    We call them nightly because they're built nightly. We don't always push them out though. A more accurate term would be: "Regular builds that have work in progress in them that may or may not be released nightly." Nightly builds sounds better though. :)
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    @daveinpublic
    Thanks so much for the kind words!
  • TheSkinTheSkin Posts: 74Member
    tizen is a HTML5 platform.... good... but the number of device is very low...
    My dream is to be able to release in html5 with higher resolution graphics...
    ... you have been considering to release HTML5 applications for facebook?
  • DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaPosts: 838Member
    @codewizard I think the answer is 'not yet' but any idea of when async will be available?
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 8,964Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Very nice. Well done guys! Really enjoying the route GameSalad is taking!
    @TheSkin
    Yes.
    edited June 2013
    @codewizard Awesome! Also, in theory, would it be possible to use async to update data from a server rather than a second player?
    Well, the data comes from a server. Pretty sure you're looking for a way to download data from a server in general. That's something different from this solution. Although the work on async will make it easier to do.
    @codewizard I see. Thanks for the reply!
This discussion has been closed.