GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Very Disappointed in Game Salad's Previewer

LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member
edited December 2014 in Miscellaneous

Today I did my second Ad Hoc test for my iphone game. The first test went well, but this time I added SFX and half of them dont even work. Not to mention my screen will randomly flash white and the "screen shake" function I added doesnt work the slightest bit. In the previewer everything works great. Any thoughts?

Comments

  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member
    edited December 2014

    @LuMa Games said:
    Today I did my second Ad Hoc test for my iphone game. The first test went well, but this time I added SFX and half of them dont even work. Not to mention my screen will randomly flash white and the "screen shake" function I added doesnt work the slightest bit. In the previewer everything works great. Any thoughts?

    Have you tried copying the table, deleting the original and then renaming the copy back to the original title ?

  • LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member

    @Socks said:
    Have you tried copying the table, deleting the original and then renaming the copy back to the original title ?

    I dont understand what you mean, I dont use tables

  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member

    @LuMa Games said:
    I dont understand what you mean, I dont use tables

    Admittedly it was just a guess.

  • LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member

    @Socks said:
    Admittedly it was just a guess.

    Oh well, I'll mess with it later tonight. I can't wait for Graphene to come out.

  • LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member

    @JSproject said:
    My thoughts... from your description you are trying to achieve some basic tasks which for sure works fine in GS... the title you have given this forum thread suggest that the fault lies in the tool when it does not. You should be looking deeper at your logic/rules/programming instead.

    The only reason I disagree with you is because everything works how it's supposed to in the previewer

  • pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 2,301Member

    @JSproject said:
    My thoughts...

    To create a counterbalance of thoughts:

    If he says that everything works well in GS Preview, but stops working in Ad-hoc, then that sounds like an issue not related to the logic, since otherwise it wouldn't work in GS Preview.

  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,380Member, Sous Chef
    edited December 2014

    @LuMa Games said:
    The only reason I disagree with you is because everything works how it's supposed to in the previewer

    the previewer is notorious for being more forgiving than the viewer or adhoc builds. The previewer will allow bad rules to fire were the device will go crazy.

    We see it most often when scenes don't load, it's usually traced back to a rule that is missing an attribute.

    Your gonna have to do some real debugging. Take things out one at a time and see what happens.

  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,913Member

    @LuMa Games said:
    Oh well, I'll mess with it later tonight. I can't wait for Graphene to come out.

    Graphene is not the Holly Grail. What you have can work. I agree with @jonmulcahy‌. You have an error somewhere.

  • LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member

    @The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Graphene is not the Holly Grail. What you have can work. I agree with jonmulcahy‌. You have an error somewhere.

    I really hope that is the case, and nothing is wrong with GS

  • colandercolander Posts: 1,610Member

    I have found that 99% of programming faults are my code and not a GS bug. If I am at my wits end and no one in the forums can help me solve it I submit a support ticket and if it is not a bug I usually get a clue back from them. The only problem with this solution is it can take awhile.

    As others have said Creator is far more forgiving. Your computer is generally way more powerful than the best device and will run bad processor heavy logic where a device can't. As said start the fun of taking things out one at a time and ad hoc test until you find it. It may also be in several places.

    I don't know what you level of GS programming skill is but if you are a novice click on The_Gamesalad_Guru "Video Tutorials" link in his signature above and watch the series on Logic. It will help you understand logic better and debug you project.

  • LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member

    @colander said:
    I have found that 99% of programming faults are my code and not a GS bug. If I am at my wits end and no one in the forums can help me solve it I submit a support ticket and if it is not a bug I usually get a clue back from them. The only problem with this solution is it can take awhile.

    As others have said Creator is far more forgiving. Your computer is generally way more powerful than the best device and will run bad processor heavy logic where a device can't. As said start the fun of taking things out one at a time and ad hoc test until you find it. It may also be in several places.

    I don't know what you level of GS programming skill is but if you are a novice click on The_Gamesalad_Guru "Video Tutorials" link in his signature above and watch the series on Logic. It will help you understand logic better and debug you project.

    I have a couple months of experiance, so not too much. I think one of the most important things GS should strive for is having a completely accurate previewer. Because debugging just takes SO much longer when I have to ad hoc any time I want to test if I fixed the bug(s).

  • colandercolander Posts: 1,610Member

    @LuMa Games said:
    I have a couple months of experiance, so not too much. I think one of the most important things GS should strive for is having a completely accurate previewer. Because debugging just takes SO much longer when I have to ad hoc any time I want to test if I fixed the bug(s).

    Not sure how they would do that, the performance of an iPhone 3 is vastly different to an iPhone 6 and it would be slow to develop in. Anyway it is not an issue when the code is structured correctly.

    Most of us including me jumped straight in and when we hit a road block then did some study. Sounds like your at that stage. Watch the logic series and then go back and check your code. You will probably be able to sort out the issues yourself and cut out a lot of the testing.

  • LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member

    @colander said:
    Most of us including me jumped straight in and when we hit a road block then did some study. Sounds like your at that stage. Watch the logic series and then go back and check your code. You will probably be able to sort out the issues yourself and cut out a lot of the testing.

    Alright, time to get to work

  • LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAPosts: 129Member
    edited December 2014

    Here's an update: I messed around with the layering and fixed the white flashes. Logically, what I did shouldn't of made any difference but I thought I'd give it a try and it ended up working. I also changed which actor was giving off the sound effect and that fixed one of the sounds, i'm still working on the rest. And as far as the screen shake, I have no idea what i'm going to do about that :(

  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,913Member

    Sometimes things get corrupted. If a sound doesn't work delete the behavior and replace it with a new one. Layers and order in actors make a difference as code fires from top to bottom in actors and bottom to top in layers.

Sign In or Register to comment.