State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

1121315171824

Comments

  • petercampanellipetercampanelli Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2015

    GameSalad,

    You've definitely lost me as a customer. I am a high school student who has used GameSalad for multiple school projects. I cannot afford $19/mo for GameSalad. One of GameSalad's greatest features is what you get for free. Now, you get 15 days for free. I am learning Unity and will be switching to that. I was also very excited about Graphene and am sad to hear that it is being put on the shelf. I hope that you, GameSalad, will rethink this from the point of the user instead of the company. -Peter

    PS: If someone could afford or wanted to pay for GameSalad, they would buy Pro, not the Basic tier.

    PPS: As neither a Basic nor Pro user, will I still be able to post to forums? (@dgackey @ForumNinja @CodeWizard)

  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,096

    It's worth noting that there are student discounts, so you wouldn't need to pay $19 a month. Not sure exactly what they are. You only need to buy Pro for one month, the month you publish, so most of the time you'll be fine with the Basic tier.

  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

    Hi Peter,

    Thanks for the feedback and we're sorry to hear that. As @Armelline noted, there is a 50% off student discount available via Studica (one of our reseller partners).

    If you used GameSalad in school, we'd definitely love to talk to your administrator. We have a classroom licensing plan that is extremely affordable -- starting at 90% off for K-12 schools.

    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions on either of these options.

    You are always welcome in the forums regardless of your membership status. GameSalad is more than just a tool -- we're a community!

    Best,

    Dan

    Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

  • Quick question ... will the Mac Creator get a layout overhaul? I feel like the PC version's layout is better in every ways and doing the same things on Mac takes a lot more time.

  • AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

    @trashdinner@hotmail.com said:
    Quick question ... will the Mac Creator get a layout overhaul? I feel like the PC version's layout is better in every ways and doing the same things on Mac takes a lot more time.

    If you ask most long time Mac users, they say the opposite... Pretty funny how that works, I think it's just whatever you learn with is what you end up liking more.

    Follow us: Twitter - Website

  • trashdinner@hotmail.comtrashdinner@hotmail.com Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2015

    @AlchimiaStudios said:
    If you ask most long time Mac users, they say the opposite... Pretty funny how that >works, I think it's just whatever you learn with is what you end up liking more.

    I know what you mean .. we like what we're used to but tbh, I've been using Mac creator for 6 months and I only used PC creator for 2 months and I can't find one thing that is faster on Mac's Creator. I miss not having to enter an actor to change behaviors and attibutes, creating new behaviors by typing the 2 first letter and pressing enter (takes less than 1 sec to add any behaviors), having the Game, Scene and Actor Attribute tab always accessible and many other things. It's just faster and more clever.

  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,096

    @trashdinner@hotmail.com said:
    I know what you mean .. we like what we're used to but tbh, I've been using Mac creator for 6 months and I only used PC creator for 2 months and I can't find one thing that is faster on Mac's Creator. I miss not having to enter an actor to change behaviors and attibutes, creating new behaviors by typing the 2 first letter and pressing enter (takes less than 1 sec to add any behaviors), having the Game, Scene and Actor Attribute tab always accessible and many other things. It's just faster and more clever.

    There are definitely some pluses to the PC creator! I wonder if the feature parity they keep talking about goes both ways? ;)

  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

    We've talked about trying to add some of the helpful features of the PC version into the Mac version for sure. It just depends on how many '5 minutes' worth they'll cost to implement ;)

    Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

  • GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

    @petercampanelli said:
    GameSalad,

    You've definitely lost me as a customer. I am a high school student who has used GameSalad for multiple school projects. I cannot afford $19/mo for GameSalad. One of GameSalad's greatest features is what you get for free. Now, you get 15 days for free. I am learning Unity and will be switching to that. I was also very excited about Graphene and am sad to hear that it is being put on the shelf. I hope that you, GameSalad, will rethink this from the point of the user instead of the company. -Peter

    This is unfortunate for students but there are very reasonable rates for students.......

    If Gamesalad doesn't focus on revenue there will be no GS period! I don't understand why people think GS should operate like a charity?

    I have a week holidays then I will get the Pro and carry on.....

  • pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,336

    @gattoman said:
    I don't understand why people think GS should operate like a charity?

    Now there's an idea! :trollface:

  • francis.charland@videotron.cafrancis.charland@videotron.ca 3D Artist/Generalist Quebec, CanadaMember, PRO Posts: 48
    edited July 2015

    @AlchimiaStudios said:
    If you ask most long time Mac users, they say the opposite... Pretty funny how that works, I think it's just whatever you learn with is what you end up liking more.

    I'm working on a daily basis with both Editors (Mac and PC) and I must admit that getting use to both layout take a while. I must stop and think something just to refocus on the version I'm using. I think both have there advantages. What bothers me the most at the moment with the pc version is not being able to resize the Expression editor window :-).

  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870

    @dgackey said:
    It just depends on how many '5 minutes' worth they'll cost to implement ;)

    This made me chuckle. I feel your pain!

  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,096

    @dgackey said:
    We've talked about trying to add some of the helpful features of the PC version into the Mac version for sure. It just depends on how many '5 minutes' worth they'll cost to implement ;)

    If they're "5 minutes" similar to the font colour change, they're WELL worth it :P

  • RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

    Whose bright idea was it to change the font color to the default scene background? ;)

  • LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

    Lets talk about the real problem here, @CodeWizard is a PC lover!

    Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

    @Lovejoy said:
    Lets talk about the real problem here, CodeWizard is a PC lover!

    He's not the only one! < SCANDAL >

    Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

    Surrounded by so many PC lovers. Where is my mac.

  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,919

    @dgackey said:
    He's not the only one! < SCANDAL >

  • stragstrag Member, PRO Posts: 616

    @trashdinner@hotmail.com said:
    Quick question ... will the Mac Creator get a layout overhaul? I feel like the PC version's layout is better in every ways and doing the same things on Mac takes a lot more time.

    I use both Mac and PC version and I totally agree that PC layout is better. The main thing I miss on the Mac version is the ability to detach the Backstage window and drag it to a second monitor.

  • AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

    @BlackCloakGS said:
    Surrounded by so many PC lovers. Where is my mac.

    We'll make our own club where no PC users are allowed! We'll call it... Sudoers.

    Follow us: Twitter - Website

  • BenSawyerBenSawyer Member, PRO Posts: 37

    Hey guys - congrats of the refocusing. Keep going. I just re-upped my yearly subscription. Hoping the Mac version gets those helpful features!

  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

    I just saw your purchase. Thanks for the support!

  • mikelowemikelowe Member Posts: 177

    You're seriously kidding yourselves if you think GameSalad is worth $199/year for the basic model. Come to think of it, you couldn't pay ME to only publish to the GameSalad Arcade.

  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,262

    @mikelowe said: You're seriously kidding yourselves if you think GameSalad is worth $199/year for the basic model.

    You're right! It's worth more than that! I'll go for the Pro version!

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

    @gattoman said: If Gamesalad doesn't focus on revenue there will be no GS period!
    I don't understand why people think GS should operate like a charity?

    @pHghost said:
    Now there's an idea! :

    I donate US$299 every year! Even get a tax deduction!

  • pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,336

    @PhilipCC said:
    Even get a tax deduction!

    In all seriousness, in most countries, don't know about Australia, but if people are freelancers, they can most likely write the cost of GS off their taxes anyway!

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

    @BlackCloakGS said:
    Surrounded by so many PC lovers.

    No wonder there has been a mutiny... tread carefully. :) Take heart in the fact in a recent Meetup a survey revealed that everyone in attendance used a Mac! B)

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

    @AlchimiaStudios said:
    We'll make our own club where no PC users are allowed! We'll call it... Sudoers.

    Sign me up. What's the subscription?

  • LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

    @PhilipCC said:
    No wonder there has been a mutiny... tread carefully. :) Take heart in the fact in a
    recent Meetup a survey revealed that everyone in attendance used a Mac! B)

    This is why they have been holding back on some of the updates, they are in the windows builds but not the mac build. Its time to revolt! I suggest @BlackCloakGS be our leader!

    Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

    Strewth mate, tax deducting is legit in Oz. Fair Dinkum.

Sign In or Register to comment.