GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

App compatibility

Hello!

I was just wondering if you can somehow change the list of devices that support your game (for example: iPhone 4 and 4s), because my game is very laggy on those devices.

Comments

  • JSprojectJSproject Posts: 730Member

    @bradavicarrka123 said:
    Hello!

    I was just wondering if you can somehow change the list of devices that support your game (for example: iPhone 4 and 4s), because my game is very laggy on those devices.

    You can't prevent those devices from running your game since those devices can run IOS 6 (which is set during GS publishing) but what you could do is to detect device type (using the new platform attributes) and then limit those older devices to some degree e.g. skip every second frame on animations that are displayed on those devices (if devices.platform.device model contains iPhone3 [for iPhone4] or if devices.platform.device model contains iPhone4 [for iPhone4S].

  • bradavicarrka123bradavicarrka123 Posts: 26Member, PRO

    @JSproject said:
    You can't prevent those devices from running your game since those devices can run IOS 6 (which is set during GS publishing) but what you could do is to detect device type (using the new platform attributes) and then limit those older devices to some degree e.g. skip every second frame on animations that are displayed on those devices (if devices.platform.device model contains iPhone3 [for iPhone4] or if devices.platform.device model contains iPhone4 [for iPhone4S].

    But what if i change the required version to ios 8?

  • JSprojectJSproject Posts: 730Member

    Well, you can't (at this point).

  • bradavicarrka123bradavicarrka123 Posts: 26Member, PRO

    @JSproject said:
    Well, you can't (at this point).

    But how then some apps on the App store say this app is not compatible with iPhone 4s and lower etc. ?

  • JSprojectJSproject Posts: 730Member

    @bradavicarrka123 said:
    But how then some apps on the App store say this app is not compatible with iPhone 4s and lower etc. ?

    Because those apps are made with some other tool where you have the possibility to specify the minimum iOS version.

  • bradavicarrka123bradavicarrka123 Posts: 26Member, PRO

    @JSproject said:

    Thank you for answering you helped a lot. Could you check out another one of my topics it's called Paid AppStore game and comment because i really wan to know your opinion

  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Posts: 2,343Member
    edited August 2015

    Running leggy even on older devices? Are you using a lot of timers by chance ? I saw your game trailer. I have a hard time believing you have lag on even a iPhone 4 without there being a good reason for it and not because they are older devices...just asking...timers?

  • bradavicarrka123bradavicarrka123 Posts: 26Member, PRO

    @Thunder_Child said:
    Running leggy even on older devices? Are you using a lot of timers by chance ? I saw your game trailer. I have a hard time believing you have lag on even a iPhone 4 without there being a good reason for it and not because they are older devices...just asking...timers?

    I have timer for spawning mosquitoes and platforms. But other than that no.

  • supafly129supafly129 Posts: 452Member, PRO

    I don't think there's a way for anyone to block specific devices, even outside of Gamesalad unless it requires different functions like bluetooth or something that older phones don't have. I have this issue with my game too which is pretty robust, so I'm just planning on putting a disclaimer in the description such as "this app is compatible with the following devices: iphone 5 and above..etc."

  • bradavicarrka123bradavicarrka123 Posts: 26Member, PRO

    @supafly129 said:
    I don't think there's a way for anyone to block specific devices, even outside of Gamesalad unless it requires different functions like bluetooth or something that older phones don't have. I have this issue with my game too which is pretty robust, so I'm just planning on putting a disclaimer in the description such as "this app is compatible with the following devices: iphone 5 and above..etc."

    yeah i did that for my game.

  • RainbrosRainbros Posts: 124Member

    Not that this helps that much as it cuts off a lot of older devices, but iOS 9 will allow you to specify compatibility for 64-bit devices only, i.e. iPhone 5S and later and iPad Air and later (no iPod Touch has 64-bit yet). Those with unsupported devices will simply not see the app.

  • bradavicarrka123bradavicarrka123 Posts: 26Member, PRO

    @Rainbros said:
    Not that this helps that much as it cuts off a lot of older devices, but iOS 9 will allow you to specify compatibility for 64-bit devices only, i.e. iPhone 5S and later and iPad Air and later (no iPod Touch has 64-bit yet). Those with unsupported devices will simply not see the app.

    Thanks for the info.

Sign In or Register to comment.