GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FPS game?

Ok so soon I will start development on my first FPS game, and I want to do it in GameSalad.
So you know Overwatch and those games? yeah, probably. Do you know how to make it so your character can move where ever in the map (in first person) without animating? would like to hear back any suggestions. I'm also a Pro member.

Thanks!

Comments

  • ArmellineArmelline Posts: 4,733Member, PRO

    GameSalad is a 2D game engine. I'm afraid you can't make a FPS with GameSalad.

  • smurftedsmurfted Posts: 504Member, PRO

    I'm trying to push the boat out with perspective and 2.5D trickery now. But a fps is a bit too far..

  • SA_FNAFCoderSA_FNAFCoder Posts: 47Member, PRO

    @smurfted said:
    I'm trying to push the boat out with perspective and 2.5D trickery now. But a fps is a bit too far..

    I mean, I use Blender for all my 3D images. Is there anyway though? And if there isn't than I can just animate it probably, would take a long time though

  • AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Posts: 1,016Member, PRO

    @SA_FNAFCoder said:

    @smurfted said:
    I'm trying to push the boat out with perspective and 2.5D trickery now. But a fps is a bit too far..

    I mean, I use Blender for all my 3D images. Is there anyway though? And if there isn't than I can just animate it probably, would take a long time though

    It would be an insane amount of work and you'd be looking at something akin to the first FPS's made back in the day, if you're able to pull it off at all.

    3d engine would save a lot of headache.

    Follow us: Twitter - Website

  • ToqueToque Posts: 1,181Member

    Have you made a game with gamesalad yet? I would make a simple 2-d game first then you would understand the limits.

  • SA_FNAFCoderSA_FNAFCoder Posts: 47Member, PRO

    @Toque said:
    Have you made a game with gamesalad yet? I would make a simple 2-d game first then you would understand the limits.

    As I said.
    I am in the development of a 3d game (however isn't an FPS).
    Once I finish that and publish it, I will work on the FPS game.

  • SA_FNAFCoderSA_FNAFCoder Posts: 47Member, PRO

    Ok, so it looks like it would take a long time. I'll use a different engine for 3d games (maybe Unity)

  • ValanValan Posts: 405Member

    Sounds interesting, but demanding.

    Maybe not demanding on your abilities but demanding to do a 3d FPS game with game salad.
    There are a few way to mimic 3d but high quality FPS 3d graphics re unthinkable for the GS engine.

    then again, very simple FPS 3d may be possible with some clever workarounds.

    What's you current 3D game about?

  • SA_FNAFCoderSA_FNAFCoder Posts: 47Member, PRO

    @Valan said:
    Sounds interesting, but demanding.

    Maybe not demanding on your abilities but demanding to do a 3d FPS game with game salad.
    There are a few way to mimic 3d but high quality FPS 3d graphics re unthinkable for the GS engine.

    then again, very simple FPS 3d may be possible with some clever workarounds.

    What's you current 3D game about?

    It's going to be somewhat an FPS game, kinda like League of Legends (the perspective) if you know what I mean. It's kinda like Overwatch except I'm going to have upgradable weapons, armor, skins, etc...
    Although it's kinda too early to really get into it as I am in development with another game at the moment

  • SA_FNAFCoderSA_FNAFCoder Posts: 47Member, PRO

    @Valan said:
    Sounds interesting, but demanding.

    Maybe not demanding on your abilities but demanding to do a 3d FPS game with game salad.
    There are a few way to mimic 3d but high quality FPS 3d graphics re unthinkable for the GS engine.

    then again, very simple FPS 3d may be possible with some clever workarounds.

    What's you current 3D game about?

    Sidenote as well.
    I've taken a class on 3D modeling to render the image and animate in GameSalad

  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member

    I think you've confused the situation with your use of the term FPS.

    From your description of the game, it sounds like you mean third person, overhead... In which case the game should be technically possible using Gamesalad and pre-rendered 3d assets.

    FPS stands for First Person Shooter, and means a 3D game where your playing with the viewpoint of looking from the characters eyes... This, isn't really possible with Gamesalad, and you would be much better moving to a 3D game engine like Unity or Unreal.

    Fake 3D is possible in Gamesalad, but not to a degree of smoothness and fidelity that you would require to make a FPS that didn't play like it was made 20 years ago. From the sounds of it, you'd be looking at wanting realtime multiplayer too, something else that really isn't possible using Gamesalad.

  • ValanValan Posts: 405Member

    Sounds good and I suggest to keep everything as simple as you can. Make the game and then add complexity from what you have already learnt. I think you will need to consider and plan the pre-rendered graphics very precisely.
    Not only the look but also how they will interact/collide.
    For instance what if a character is wearing a hat or holding and umbrella.

    Although GameSalad has custom collision shapes they are not yet dynamic. So how would this fact be handled in your game. Maybe you will have all your shapes geometrical with rotational symmetry.

    Look forward to hearing more.

  • SA_FNAFCoderSA_FNAFCoder Posts: 47Member, PRO

    @Valan said:
    Sounds good and I suggest to keep everything as simple as you can. Make the game and then add complexity from what you have already learnt. I think you will need to consider and plan the pre-rendered graphics very precisely.
    Not only the look but also how they will interact/collide.
    For instance what if a character is wearing a hat or holding and umbrella.

    Although GameSalad has custom collision shapes they are not yet dynamic. So how would this fact be handled in your game. Maybe you will have all your shapes geometrical with rotational symmetry.

    Look forward to hearing more.

    Yea. I've tried Unreal but it crashed, and Unity, too much coding.
    The concept of this game is to have the map move and have the character animate like it is walking and face your cursor, so this is a clever way to determine the position on the map (I am going to create a custom position attribute instead).

  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member

    @SA_FNAFCoder said:
    The concept of this game is to have the map move and have the character animate like it is walking and face your cursor . . . .

    This is pretty straightforward if you keep the view isometric (or any other parallel projection), I've done a few projects like this in GS, I've attached a quick QT movie example of a walking character who turns to your cursor/touch when you click/touch the screen . . . .

    http://www.filedropper.com/walk

  • zweg25zweg25 Posts: 738Member

    @Socks said:

    @SA_FNAFCoder said:
    The concept of this game is to have the map move and have the character animate like it is walking and face your cursor . . . .

    This is pretty straightforward if you keep the view isometric (or any other parallel projection), I've done a few projects like this in GS, I've attached a quick QT movie example of a walking character who turns to your cursor/touch when you click/touch the screen . . . .

    http://www.filedropper.com/walk

    This is very impressive, especially the shadow IMO

  • JapsterJapster Posts: 672Member

    Awesome as always, @Socks !

  • ValanValan Posts: 405Member

    @Socks Lovely!

Sign In or Register to comment.