GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Artwork ruined after signing(iOS) -Frustrating

FeathersFeathers Posts: 31Member
edited October 2016 in Working with GS (Mac)

Hi. I just tested my game with testflight and this came up.
Everything is all blur and the artworks are ruined.
All is fine with android.
This only happened with iOS. Does anybody know what the problem is?
My GS is up-to-date, I tried updating the app but nothing changed.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member

What is the size of your GameSalad project ?

What is the size of the play button actor, and what is the size of the image applied to it ?

What is the iOS device you are viewing this on ?

• FeathersFeathers Posts: 31Member
    edited October 2016
    1. It's the original size. 320x568(portrait)
    2. The play button actor is the big one in the middle.105x56
    3. I reviewed it on 2 iphone6 models.

@Feathers said:
    1. It's the original size. 320x568(portrait)

So the iPhone 5 Portrait platform setting, right ?

1. The play button actor is the big one in the middle.105x56

Specifically . . . what is the size of the play button actor, and what is the size of the image applied to it ?

The play button actor and its image are both 105(width)x56(height).

@Feathers said:
    The play button actor and its image are both 105(width)x56(height).

There are quite a few issues here, I think you need to take a little time to understand how resolution works with regard to mobile device.

For example your 105 x 56 pixel image is being stretched to fill a 247 x 131 pixel area on an iPhone6 screen, so the pixels are being interpolated, which is why your image looks blurred.

Additionally an actor that is 105 pixels wide will (assuming it's sat on a whole pixel value coordinate) also be blurred as GameSalad positions actors by their centre-point, so all the pixels, left to right, will be sat on sub-pixel positions - and therefore every pixel in your image will be shared between two horizontally adjacent screen pixels which will blur your image even more.

You should be using image assets twice the resolution of your actor, so for example a 256 x 100 pixel actor needs a 512 x 200 pixel image.

Also make sure an image asset's pixel count is divisible by 4 (so for example 200 x 120 . . . or 112 x 92 . . . etc . . rather than 205 x 98)

Thanks for your help @Socks !
    I'll change my artwork sizes, with your advice in mind.
    I have one question, though.
    I tried the same app with my Galaxy Note 2(Samsung) which has a bigger screen than iphone6, and everything is fine.. Nothing is shown blur.
    Is this an exclusive iOS problem?

@Feathers said:
    I have one question, though.
    I tried the same app with my Galaxy Note 2(Samsung) which has a bigger screen than iphone6, and everything is fine.. Nothing is shown blur.

Is the above screenshot (the 2nd one) from the Galaxy ?

This one is a screenshot from Galaxy Note 2.

edited October 2016

@Feathers said:
    This one is a screenshot from Galaxy Note 2.

"I tried the same app with my Galaxy Note 2(Samsung) which has a bigger screen than iphone6, and everything is fine.. Nothing is shown blur."

Far from everything being fine the image from the Galaxy Note 2 is also very blurred - not as much as the iPhone6 because the two screens have different resolutions, with the iPhone6 you are stretching those 105 x 56 pixels over a greater number of screen pixels, therefore more interpolation is happening

Here is an enlarged (no interpolation) comparison between your Galaxy Note 2 screenshot (left) and a perfectly clean graphic, you can clearly see blurring/interpolation.

The second image in your original seems sharper (it's also still blurred) as it has the advantage of being exactly twice the size of your GS project, so the interpolation is neater (each image pixel is smeared across two screen pixels).

@Feathers said:

It's nothing to do with iOS, or even mobile devices, or even pixels, in fact it's actually not a problem at all ! It's simply the way maths works, it's impossible to divide (or multiply) two numbers that don't factor.

comp.png 301.9K

Great to know that. Thanks for your help again!