GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the ideal pixel art size for game assets?

Hi everyone,

This is newbie question for sure.

I want to make my own game sprites and use it in my games. Currently I'm using Aseprite to draw characters and tiles. I usually draw them in 48x48px. But whenever I import the PNG images and assign it to an actor, it always appear blurry, unless of course I resize the actor to 48x48, but then it gets really small. But if I draw in bigger size, then I wont get the blocky pixel style I wanted. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks, any input is appreciated!

Best Answer

• SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,821Member
    edited April 2017 Accepted Answer

@indra.aziz said:
    . . . whenever I import the PNG images and assign it to an actor, it always appear blurry . . .

GameSalad uses a bicubic (or maybe bilinear ?) reconstruction filter to interpolate the image pixels when scaling up, the result of this is a blurry image.

@indra.aziz said:
    But if I draw in bigger size, then I wont get the blocky pixel style I wanted.

What stops you from using a blocky style when creating larger artworks ? I'm guessing it has something to do with the way Aseprite works ? (I've never used Aseprite), If that's the case then once you have created your artwork in Aseprite you can then open it up into a free image editor like GIMP (or if you have it, Photoshop) and scale the image to the size you need using a Nearest-Neighbour interpolation (in GIMP this is called 'none').

Answers

• indra.azizindra.aziz Posts: 70Member, PRO

Ah! Very clear explanation. I will try it immediately.

Thank you very much!

Hi @Socks I just tried it in both Gimp and Photoshop, worked like a charm. Just what I needed. Thanks again.

Just an update: Turns out we can scale the sprites directly inside aseprite, and it includes all the frames. Silly me!