GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.app to .exe?

I know that there are a plethora of ways to convert .exe files to be playable on mac. Does anyone know how to do the reverse? Change a .app file into a .exe essentially?
It's kind of a big deal for game designers like ourselves to be able to publish to PC, because that's an extremely huge market for indie games- and since GS doesn't seem like it will be adding Windows publishing any time in the near future, this might be the only feasible way of reaching that audience.

Answers

• Twayne2Twayne2 Posts: 224Member, PRO
    edited August 9

May I ask what a .app file is?

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Posts: 951Member, PRO
    edited August 9

@Cutscene Entertainment said:
    I know that there are a plethora of ways to convert .exe files to be playable on mac. Does anyone know how to do the reverse? Change a .app file into a .exe essentially?
    It's kind of a big deal for game designers like ourselves to be able to publish to PC, because that's an extremely huge market for indie games- and since GS doesn't seem like it will be adding Windows publishing any time in the near future, this might be the only feasible way of reaching that audience.

I don't think it's possible, unless you wrote a crazy VM to run the .app within. Even then, apple would probably have something to say about that,.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Posts: 951Member, PRO
    edited August 9

The most promising way to achieve this would be HTML5, and wrap it using something like Cordova to an .exe. There are some shortcomings of the HTML5 engine right now though, so it may lag or have bugs, or just not work period.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• Twayne2Twayne2 Posts: 224Member, PRO

I have tried having a html5 file wrapped, and then have tried having it put on Steam. So far the file has been so far glitching. Trying an android approach now, but still hoping for the Steam stuff to pull through. =)