Q2 2019 - Spring has Sprung and Summer Is Coming
Hey everyone, it's been a while and I guess I owe you all an update and roadmap.
We've been working hard on fundraising and a few business opportunities during Q1, so that's slowed down work on the tech some. But we finally have something for you and work should be speeding up again:
On Monday morning 2019-04-28 (CDT), we'll finally be putting out a new android build to RC.
While you can also get this from the release notes thread later, here's what we're releasing:
- Upgrade to Android API 28 android libraries
IronSource Support for a subset of ad networks
Some publishing updates to dynamically remove code that accesses leaderboards or achievements. This should help get past Google Play static analyzers that block games using only one of those services.
I'm waiting until Monday morning, so if someone finds any issues that we missed in testing, I'll be around to roll it back and you won't have to wait 8 hrs.
We're continuing work on getting Creator 2 in shape to replace the existing tools, we're not there yet so we'll still be making updates to Mac and Windows Creator as needed, but progress is being made. I'm hoping we'll have a performance / resource improvement in the next build.
We're doing a bit of work on the font rendering system to hopefully finally fix those issues people see with mis-aligned text and dangling bits of other characters.
As always, the roadmap is subject to change, but here's the general order of what's to come.
- Mac Creator on Mojave . We've heard of some issues with Mojave. We did some test early on and didn't find anything, but we've been able to confirm bugs caused by Mojave that aren't in High Sierra. So we're going to spend some time tracking that down.
- Iron Source for iOS. Pretty self explanatory.
- HTML5 text rendering. With the Mojave issue, I think we'll put the brakes on HTML5 text rendering for the time being, but that's something I'd like to get done before the end of the summer.
- Retooling our build system. For both iOS and Android, our build system is showing it's age. For iOS, I have to do a lot of manual steps every time I start a new project. For Android, we hit a limit on the number of classes that we can support in an APK. That's why we don't have full IronSrc support for all ad networks, our app has too many classes between Ad Networks, our Engine, and all the Google Libraries. Android has a way around this issue, but it requires me moving to the most current build system. It's a bit of a time hit, but it will make future work go so much faster and allow us to run builds on cloud servers to speed up our testing cycle.
- Fixing collision differences in the HTML5 engine.
Sorry it's taken so long to get IronSource out the door. You should see things moving faster again, and I'm gonna need to pour through the forums to look for what other issues are hot on everyone's mind.
Update 2019-04-29 08:25 CDT
RC Deployed. Doing internal testing, feel free to try it and report anything.