GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

soft launched my first game DRIPPY DROP, looking for feedback!

I soft launched my first project DRIPPY DROP a couple months ago, and am almost ready to launch my new version, so I am looking to get some feedback and criticism on aspects of my game. ie: gameplay mechanics, "story", bugs, etc. Here is a small sample of the gameplay: https://i.imgur.com/AFhvD9d.mp4

You can check it out for iphone here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drippy-drop/id1382524302?mt=8

and android here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobiasjohnson.drippydrop

Would love to hear some pros and cons to make this game the best it can be!

The updated version I am working on has tons of added features (challenge mode with 10 diverse and unique levels accompanied by a collectable trophy system, tons of visual updates and many minor upgrades. Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking!

Comments

  • bob loblawbob loblaw Posts: 349Member, PRO

    i seem to be stuck on an endless level that i have no control on, with ghosts and tombstones.

  • tobyjohnsonarttobyjohnsonart Posts: 15Member, PRO

    Hey bob, are you on android? and by no control do you mean you are stuck moving right or left? one user mentioned this bug but I thought i had solved it. Do you remember what level number this happen to happen on? Thanks for the feedback! Ill try to sort this out

  • mikejamesfishermikejamesfisher Posts: 59Member, BASIC

    I got stuck too... i beat first level, then got stuck on chest level with senile eel and i finally found down button and went to a chest and a hole. I touched hole and took me back to chests. I touched down arrow again and started touching chest over n over n it grew bigger ever time i touched it. Then somehow, (i don’t remember exactly what i touched), i went to main menu. Gameplay on first level was nice and fun but then just got really confusing.

  • mikejamesfishermikejamesfisher Posts: 59Member, BASIC

    (On iphone)

  • bob loblawbob loblaw Posts: 349Member, PRO

    @tobyjohnsonart said:
    Hey bob, are you on android? and by no control do you mean you are stuck moving right or left? one user mentioned this bug but I thought i had solved it. Do you remember what level number this happen to happen on? Thanks for the feedback! Ill try to sort this out

    ios

    finished level 1. also got stuck on the chest level, like mike^.
    played a few times then hit i think it’s the next button after finishing level 1, it took me to the ghost/tombstone level where the character just scrolls left to right on its own.

    also on the chest level, when the shark swims across the screen, it’s set behind the cave entrance so it stuffs your graphics there.

  • tobyjohnsonarttobyjohnsonart Posts: 15Member, PRO

    @bob loblaw said:

    @tobyjohnsonart said:
    Hey bob, are you on android? and by no control do you mean you are stuck moving right or left? one user mentioned this bug but I thought i had solved it. Do you remember what level number this happen to happen on? Thanks for the feedback! Ill try to sort this out

    ios

    finished level 1. also got stuck on the chest level, like mike^.
    played a few times then hit i think it’s the next button after finishing level 1, it took me to the ghost/tombstone level where the character just scrolls left to right on its own.

    also on the chest level, when the shark swims across the screen, it’s set behind the cave entrance so it stuffs your graphics there.

    Thanks for the feedback again Bob, Im going to have to do some investigating where the character scrolls on his own, thats definitely a red flag for any first time players. Ive double checked all the code and rules and cant find anything that would make this happen.. so I already know this is going to be a headache to fix lol, I appreciate you trying it out!

  • tobyjohnsonarttobyjohnsonart Posts: 15Member, PRO

    @mikejamesfisher said:
    I got stuck too... i beat first level, then got stuck on chest level with senile eel and i finally found down button and went to a chest and a hole. I touched hole and took me back to chests. I touched down arrow again and started touching chest over n over n it grew bigger ever time i touched it. Then somehow, (i don’t remember exactly what i touched), i went to main menu. Gameplay on first level was nice and fun but then just got really confusing.

    Thanks for trying it out James. I think I need to make the different scenes more obvious, The scene with the eel is basically where you spend your keys, coins, etc.. kind of like a shop. And the scene with the shark is supposed to be your "home base" you collect things throughout the game and they show up there. I will most definitely make the navigation more obvious and intuitive. also thanks for the growing chest issue, dont know how i missed that! Thanks for trying it out!

  • tobyjohnsonarttobyjohnsonart Posts: 15Member, PRO

    Mike**** !!!

  • mikejamesfishermikejamesfisher Posts: 59Member, BASIC

    Here it goes... i am a unique gamer that doesnt enjoy lots of options and upgrades and such(you will see that when and if I ever finish my epic first game). But the masses seem very into that stuff... when i see too much going on, i back off. I want the gameplay to be enough a draw. So i may not be your target audience... However, i can see by your storytelling achievements, you appreciate a complete experience. Please make it more clear where to click next through menu screens to make it easier to get to the fun gameplay you established. I tried again and couldn’t get past the senile eel and chests. The gameplay may be enough without the chests. Even though the eel is pretty funny. Its obvious that you put alot of work and creativity into it. Congrats on that! (Also, the title screen is very cute with the drop of water carrying the O but once the O is placed, it doesnt make sense for the drop to now fly in from the top left of the screen. Its almost amazing but it is disjointed.)

  • tobyjohnsonarttobyjohnsonart Posts: 15Member, PRO

    @mikejamesfisher said:
    Here it goes... i am a unique gamer that doesnt enjoy lots of options and upgrades and such(you will see that when and if I ever finish my epic first game). But the masses seem very into that stuff... when i see too much going on, i back off. I want the gameplay to be enough a draw. So i may not be your target audience... However, i can see by your storytelling achievements, you appreciate a complete experience. Please make it more clear where to click next through menu screens to make it easier to get to the fun gameplay you established. I tried again and couldn’t get past the senile eel and chests. The gameplay may be enough without the chests. Even though the eel is pretty funny. Its obvious that you put alot of work and creativity into it. Congrats on that! (Also, the title screen is very cute with the drop of water carrying the O but once the O is placed, it doesnt make sense for the drop to now fly in from the top left of the screen. Its almost amazing but it is disjointed.)

    Thanks Mike again for the feedback, this thread has helped heaps and I value the feedback a alot! After couple play-throughs, I see where the confusion is, and i have found a solution. I think my main problem was I was so used to playing it (been working on it for over a year) that I assumed that the player would just understand what to it..huge fault!) Plus a huge error was the "next level/play" button at the end of each level was changing an attribute that shouldn't be changed, which linked to "next scene" instead of a specific scene. Im excited to fix this issue, because once player understands how to navigate the game/scenes fluently, its actually really fun with tons of things to discover throughout the game. With this new update, it will hopefully support most plays styles like yourself where you get gameplay without having to get too involved. Fixing the opening scene as well to get a more cohesive feeling of a story evolving. I may upload the new version to the GS arcade in a week or so, so be on the lookout! Thanks again

Sign In or Register to comment.