GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Syncing Google Sheet data to/from GameSalad Tables

tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,843Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef
edited September 15 in Working with GS (Mac)

So this is exciting news. After years of customers struggling to get the network behaviors to work and the downfall of AppFormative and the failed promise of other entrepreneurial folks offering similar services, @adent42 pops in with a casual "here ya go" and gives us a way to do this fairly simply:

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/611542/#Comment_611542

If you can't tell, I have mixed feelings about this but on the whole, I'm thrilled. I have an app that's been needing this to take it to the next level and if this works... OH MAN.

So thank you @adent42. I'm giving this a separate thread so it doesn't get buried and also in the hopes that the process will benefit from additional eyes and minds.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Comments

• adent42adent42 Posts: 1,418Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee

To be fair, I only discovered this was possible fairly recently :)

I would also warn that there are limits to what google will allow (it is free after all), so I wouldn't go using this for anything big. This is best for either internal apps or apps that occasionally pull and data for updates.

If you you are strictly pulling data, you may be able to proxy the results behind cloudflare to scale for bigger games (i.e. you use google docs for notifications or core game stats that only need occasional changing).

• tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,843Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

Thanks, this is a pretty infrequent use... probably once a year to update an app's tables. :)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• solnikasolnika Posts: 29Member

Hello all,

I have a few questions about the google sheet solution.

I mange to sent a table from the game to the sheet but I couldn't figure how to get a table from the sheet to the game (the viewer crash every time).

I understand from anther post that I need to change the tableID in the script for the table I want to send? but I don't really know where to edit this? @adent42 @tatiang any advice on that?

Also I tried to look at the limits that the free account has but I don't really know under what type of action to look?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how many request I can make per hour/day maybe someone can help?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English

P.S

I named my table "test" but on the sheet it shows as "id357792" is this how it suppose to be?

Hi again, so I figure the answer to my first question, ?table="tableID" needs to be add at the end of the HTML string in the network beaver.

edited November 9

@solnika said:
    Hi again, so I figure the answer to my first question, ?table="tableID" needs to be add at the end of the HTML string in the network beaver.

I haven't looked at this in a while but I believe that's right.

Yep it's working, thanks.

Any ideas about the limits?
    Also did you mange to figure how to post/add only one line ?

edited November 9

No, I haven't done any more with it.

I did attempt to but got nowhere fast.