Template/Demo: Endless jump game, 'Doodle Jump' style.

RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
I've seen a lot of forum posts, old and new, asking how to efficiently simulate a seemingly endless game/background.

Here is what I would consider a reasonable solution memory wise. It should be able to go on forever.The scene is 2000 tall and 320 wide and simply loops when the character reaches the top. This was made to demonstrate the looping and endlessness so the randomisation of the jumping ledges isn't done too well.

As I can't seem to upload games to the GameSalad web player I have made a video and uploaded a zip of the gameproj.

Click here for download.

Enjoy! Hope it helps one or two people out.

P.S. I haven't actually tested it on an iPhone but it should FPS should be fine as there isn't very much in it! It's also not laid out to well so it isn't that easy to follow but I work better amongst mess!

Comments

• 777ideas.com777ideas.com Member, PRO Posts: 895
    That demo looks great but where do you download it from
    the link is not working
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    should work now!
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Awesome, man! That should help a lot of people out.

I don't know why you can't upload to the website though. That's weird.
    It's unbelievably frustrating, whenever I click login the loading sign just spins round and round for ages.
    Thank-You man you helped me out so much thanks.
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    @RH, Demo looks cool, but for one reason or another, I can't download it! If you could, could you send me the file?

e-mail: MyGSUserName (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks a ton!
    ~CTM
    Sure.

Just sent it!

Here's a nicer looking video. Annoying that I can't edit my first post :(

Hey thanks for the demo but I tried it out and its great but I tried to move the score to the other side ,(the left side) but it keeps on staying on the right. Do you know a way to move the score to the other side.
    Yep, you have to go into each of the score display actors and it has a rule that when game over is false change positionX and positionY.

Just change the values to wherever you want it to go. I did this to avoid spawning more actors to use in the game over box, instead I just move the score value actors.
    Im not sure what you meant @RH
    @tshirtbooth, thanks! Didn't realise Sous Chef's could edit posts.

@kirk1234, double click on each of the score instances in the scene. There should be a rule in each [at the bottom] that looks like this:

EDIT: just realised I circled the wrong values. Should have the the ones in the 'otherwise'.
    Change the values that I have circled to the X and Y coordinates that you the value to appear. Each 0 is separate and, using FMG's, displays one number from the score so make sure to keep the instances aligned in the same order!

@CowTechMan, hope it's helpful/useful for something!
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    RH said:
    @tshirtbooth, thanks! Didn't realise Sous Chef's could edit posts.

@kirk1234, double click on each of the score instances in the scene. There should be a rule in each [at the bottom] that looks like this:

EDIT: just realised I circled the wrong values. Should have the the ones in the 'otherwise'.
    Change the values that I have circled to the X and Y coordinates that you the value to appear. Each 0 is separate and, using FMG's, displays one number from the score so make sure to keep the instances aligned in the same order!

@CowTechMan, hope it's helpful/useful for something!

Sous chefs are the new moderators, essentially.

The old sous-chefs are something else now...
    @Eastbound, didn't realise they had changed it :) Does this mean the moderation program that they talked about has started? I thought that there would be something more official, at least a yellow post about it!

Can Sous Chef's now take action against spammers?
    Cool, thanks for the info.

• HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Not bad.

Mine is better :-P
    Mine is truly endless without needing big, invisible screen areas and multiple backgrounds and the jumping is also smoother. I will upload it later.

The only thing, I can't figure out, how to do that with the "one side out - other side in" thing for the jumper actor.

EDIT:
    Never mind, I just figured out :-)
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Wrap X?
    Please explain "wrap X".
    I found another solution, but maybe yours is better, but I don't find anything about "wrap"
    Under the scene settings you can toggle wrap x and wrap y on and off. Not in front of gs so can't explain exactly how to get there but pretty simple to find :-)
    Thanks
    Will look for it.
    Hey Hunnenkoenig could you upload your demo too.
    @haha, ok, bring it! :)

Admittedly the jumping technique is rubbish, I only used it because it was the first thing I thought of [I didn't make it to display the jumping technique :)]. I used multiple backgrounds to avoid the large size images and the 'big' invisible screen areas are just part of my method, I wouldn't call them big anyway.

And yeh, like POLYGAMe said, I just used 'wrap x'. Go to scene, attributes, wrap x.
    Oh, wrap X is cool.

I could delete 2 rules now. Thanks!

I will upload the demo in a few days.

First I want to finish my game and look if the jerks out there eat another doodle jump clone again :-P
    Haha, I wouldn't call potential customers jerks :P Free or paid?
    In my eyes, they are jerks. :-P

I will try it for 99 cents of course.

If it doesn't sell, I will remove.

It's just a test out of frustration :-)
    Hunnenkoenig said:
    Oh, wrap X is cool.

I

Hehe, sometimes it's staring you right in the face, eh?!

How are sales of the Commando game going? Looks very cool! Was that a Unity project?
    Yeah, it's a unity project.

avarage 1000 sales a day.
    Not very good. We expected more. But the new update is coming shortly (apple sits since 10 days on it) and a few reviews from bigger review sites are also promised.

We will see.

Next game is in the pipeline:

imagehttp://3dmagicbox.com/pictures/3d/T_34.jpg
    imagehttp://3dmagicbox.com/pictures/3d/haz1.jpg
    imagehttp://3dmagicbox.com/pictures/3d/haz2.jpg
    Nice! Dude I'd kill for 1000 sales a WEEK. lol
    Yeah, it's everything relative :-)
    For a single developer it's sure a nice pocket money.

We have to pay 2 programmers, 3 artists, a sound designer, taxes, server costs etc from the money :-)

The main problem is, we get those sales because we are in new and noteworthy.
    If we drop out from there on the 16th and we don't get into another, we are screwed :-)