The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook — Updated To Support GameSalad 0.9.0

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
GameSalad was just updated. So, I updated the textbook too...

http://photics.com/books/gamesalad-textbook

The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook now covers the GameSalad 0.9.0 update.

• The Marketing and Behaviors sections have been expanded to include Professional Behaviors.
• The Game Idea chapter was updated to match the changes with the default GameSalad templates and changes to the start screen.
• The App Store Chapter has been changed to reflect the new publishing screen in GameSalad.
• The book has been converted to ePub. PDF is discontinued.
• Some minor corrections

For customers that ordered the book through Photics.com, you can simply reuse your Photics login/download information to get the update.

Comments

• magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    hey can you send me a download link because i bought it in the iBookStore?

-Josh
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    magic101hi said:
    hey can you send me a download link because i bought it in the iBookStore?

I'm waiting on a response to the ISBN dilemma. If I can continue to use the ISBN, I can attempt to update the iBookstore version too.
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    could you send me a file with just the updated pages?

-Josh
  • scotti2hottiscotti2hotti Member Posts: 7
    Ordered.....now the agonizing wait til i can get my digital hands on that file
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Hey, Don't know where to Download the NEw version!
  • ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410
    Keep meaning to say it and this is a good place.

Great work on the book.

Very easy to read and follow.

tiny gripe; the pics in colour would be the icing on a yummy cake.
    magic101hi said:
    could you send me a file with just the updated pages?

How can I verify that you actually ordered the book? Whatever standard I create for you, I'd have to do for everyone else. It could become an Internet craze... try to trick Mike and win a free book... it gets too messy.

So, for now, the plan is to fix the issues with the iBookstore. If that fails, I have a contingency plan — but it's tricky to implement. I've already failed once before.
    MagoNicolas said:
    Hey, Don't know where to Download the NEw version!

It's the same download information as the original version. Just use it again.
    Valan said:
    Keep meaning to say it and this is a good place.

Great work on the book.

Very easy to read and follow.

Thanks! That's good to know! If people want to post nice comments about the book, you can comment on the Photics.com website.

http://photics.com/books/gamesalad-textbook

I'm surprised that there's only one comment.
    Valan said:
    tiny gripe; the pics in colour would be the icing on a yummy cake.

Well, it would be nice. Although, the book was originally based on traditional printing... which meant Black & White pages to save money.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Thanks! Its Solved!
  • MLCinemaMLCinema Member Posts: 133
    Is there any other way to buy this book? Paypal? Thank you.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Please sort the issue with the iBookstore, i know you're trying. I dont think its fair to not get an updated version becuase we have purchased through the book store. I always wanted to purchase your book but by using paypal which you never offered, once you released in the ibookstore i purchased it at a higher price than the pdf so i'd love to be able to get the update.
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    beefy_clyro said:
    Please sort the issue with the iBookstore, i know you're trying. I dont think its fair to not get an updated version becuase we have purchased through the book store. I always wanted to purchase your book but by using paypal which you never offered, once you released in the ibookstore i purchased it at a higher price than the pdf so i'd love to be able to get the update.

Yer it would be nice :)
    Basseman said:
    Hmm, got the email this morning of the free upgrade since i bought the first edition.
    But where, and with what do i login and download ?

Do you still have the email you received with your login information? You can just reuse that information to get the ePub.
  • greglevygreglevy Member, PRO Posts: 85
    Hi,

Where on your web page do I log on?

Thanks
    greglevy said:
    Where on your web page do I log on?

It's not accessible from the main photics.com website. It's a secret link that was sent to you via email, when you first ordered the book.
  • greglevygreglevy Member, PRO Posts: 85
    Got it.

Thanks
  • PortymanPortyman Member, PRO Posts: 409
    I dowloaded the book ,and I have 2 questions

A. How do I kow I have the updated version?
    B. Do I have tom reread the whole book or are the updates in a new chapter.

Thank
  • DesBDesB Member Posts: 39
    Hi
    I tried to look at " download a sample ebook" on Photics website (The unofficial gamesalad textbook) ....but all I got was pages of code!!!
    Whats the problem?
    Please advise....I want to buy the book....but need to see a bit first
    Tks

DesB
    portyman said:
    I dowloaded the book ,and I have 2 questions

A. How do I kow I have the updated version?

There should be a date on the first page of the book.
    portyman said:
    B. Do I have tom reread the whole book or are the updates in a new chapter.

If you ordered the book through Photics.com, you should have received an email that listed the changes. Most of the book is the same. The majority of the changes were related to the recent GameSalad update. I don't think you need to read the whole book again. You can just check the parts of the book that are related to the changes.
    DesB said:
    Hi
    I tried to look at " download a sample ebook" on Photics website (The unofficial gamesalad textbook) ....but all I got was pages of code!!!
    Whats the problem?
    Please advise....I want to buy the book....but need to see a bit first

Hello! You might need an ePub reader. There are a bunch of free ones out there.

http://photics.com/books/gamesalad-textbook#epub-reader
  • hansohanso Member Posts: 23
    HEy Photics!

Is your book available in the german ibook store?
    i cant find it there :/ and i not a friend of the google checkout...
    hanso said:
    Is your book available in the german ibook store?
    i cant find it there :/ and i not a friend of the google checkout...

Hello! There was a problem with the ISBN, and there was another unresolved issue, so I pulled it from the iBookstore. I think it's better to make ebooks as apps, rather than iBooks, but I've been unable to convert my book successfully to an app.

For now, the only way to order the book is through Photics.com / Google Checkout.
    So does that mean i wont get the updated version of the book? As i have said before i paid £15.99 to buy it as an iBook. So you're basically saying screw me yet i bought both your book and sound effects pack ... not a good way to treat your customers ... and you complain about GS ;) Seriously though, could you just email me ONLY the updated pages as a pdf? If you're not updating the iBook method, i think this would be a fair way for anyone who bought the iBook to get the updated pages.
  • hansohanso Member Posts: 23

Hello! There was a problem with the ISBN, and there was another unresolved issue, so I pulled it from the iBookstore. I think it's better to make ebooks as apps, rather than iBooks, but I've been unable to convert my book successfully to an app.

For now, the only way to order the book is through Photics.com / Google Checkout.

ok! then i´ll try to buy it from there a.s.a.p! thanks for reply!
    beefy_clyro said:
    So does that mean i wont get the updated version of the book?

Why would you order the sounds through Google Checkout, but not the book the same way? It was cheaper. The iBookstore was offered as a convenience for those that did not want to use Google Checkout. But not only does the book cost more through iBooks, I actually made less money per sale. Additionally, I've had trouble with the iBookstore and support has been discontinued.

But since you did order the sounds, you should have an email address to contact me. Instead of complaining publicly about my service, maybe you should contact me privately through email. I think that I've been doing a great job — offering quality products at affordable prices... and with great customer service. I don't appreciate words to the contrary.

As for GameSalad, I post suggestions to help them along. If communication was better, I think the community would be in much better shape. We could have avoided the GameSalad Direct® situation. But overall, I think that the software is awesome. There's great potential here. Also, CodeMonkey is an awesome member of the team. Their customer service is very good. The software is finally moving in the right direction.

I think it's a little dangerous to offer Express for free, but that's their decision to make. However, I think it's a really bad idea to drop the custom loading screen for Pro users. I think that they should change the original Pro users to "Elite" users, allowing them to enjoy custom loading screens. Make elite $1999. Custom loading screens puts GameSalad in the realm of professional software. If I had paid $1999 for Pro, and then lost custom loading screens, I would be livid. Instead, I'm actually pretty relaxed. I've been playing the new Pac-Man game and I'm waiting for the bugs with 0.9.0 to be resolved. GameSalad is moving in the right direction and it's awesome.
    Photics said:
    Why would you order the sounds through Google Checkout, but not the book the same way?
    Its called getting the book 1st! I first off bought the book and didnt want, like many others, to use anything other than paypal. You never offered this and instead of setting up google checkout i simply bought the book on the store. Since then i really wanted your sounds, you offered a great book and a great sounds package, therefore i thought 'Hey, if this guy does any more im gonna have to suck it and setup google checkouts as thats his method'. I then went to set it up, realised i had a gmail email account and was surprised all i needed to do was just pay by credit card (i was thinking of all the paypal hassle of depositing and referring to funds for verification etc).

As for complaining publicly, it wasnt really much of a rant was it? I havent once said anything contrary to what service you believe you offer! In fact i support you as a community member, like i said, i bought both packages you have offered. I also recently downloaded 7,000 sound effects for $10! If i wasnt supporting you then i'd be spouting that all over the forum, instead, i want people to use your service :)
    All i meant by my earlier post was that i felt a little screwed, im not the 1st person to mention the iBook where you pretty much said to one member that it cant be prooved (easily) they bought it so would be hard to help them. You then mentioned there was an ISBN issue and you were trying to sort it, i posted a week ago and you never commented on my post! I would of expected an update post saying you had removed it from the store and for anyone who bought it who needs an update to do .....(whatever you decide). The whole customer service and GS remark was more of a joke, hence the face! I was laughing as i typed it. Anyway, im not trying to turn this into a 'your the bad guy' arguement, i respect you in this community and try to support what you offer, i'll have a dig through my emails when i get time to find your email address and i'll ping you a private message!
    beefy_clyro said:
    i had a gmail email account and was surprised all i needed to do was just pay by credit card

Yeah, it's pretty easy.

As for the other stuff you wrote... heh... you could have just sent an email. If you remember your Google account login, you should be able to contact me through that.

In the forum, the letters don't always convey the proper emotion. I don't think you were complaining that badly, but someone else might see it that way. Someone might get the impression that I don't care about this issue, which isn't true. It's annoying that I can't just upload an ePub file. But unfortunately, that's technically a new version of the book... which requires a new ISBN... which is a problem for a system that lists books by ISBNs. Also, there's another unresolved issue. Basically, I looked at the situation and the iBook store just doesn't work for me.

For those that order the book through Photics.com / Google Checkout, the ePub file can be dropped into iBooks manually. I can keep the price of the book lower that way.
    tshirtbooth said:
    just putting it out there but fr the people that got the itunes copy could they not just forward there payment email to you?

Yeah, that's pretty much the plan. I might ask additional questions to verify an iBookstore purchase. I probably will create accounts to download the book at my website. It mostly depends on how many people contact me and how soon. I tried the iBookstore thing. It was cool, but not quite a match for this project.
    Basseman said:
    Nope, how do i do now ?

At the bottom of my website is link to contact me. If you ordered the book through the iBookstore, forward the email you got from Apple. I might ask some follow-up questions.
    What email from apple :s Is it the one confirming the item?

Cheers
    I think there might be some confusion here.

If you ordered the book through Photics.com, just reuse the download information that was originally sent to you. That's how you can get the update.
    PossesiveGaming said:
    What email from apple :s Is it the one confirming the item?

Yeah, if you ordered the textbook through the iBookstore, you might have received an email from Apple. Just forward that to me to help confirm your order. If everything seems in order, I then can create a download account for you to get the update.
    Very generous indeed! Will do :)