Big Picture Update - Communication, Updates, and a Game Jam!

Comments

• SRS777SRS777 Member Posts: 83
    I hope we will be able to post templates to gs with the new update
    oh and gamecenter
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    GameCenter isn't in the new update. Only Mac App Store publishing and the Pause/Resume features.
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    Anxiously awaiting the pause feature. Thanks for letting us know how it's going to work at least so I can plan for that while developing my game.
  • JBULLFROGJBULLFROG Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the updates, I'm really looking forward to seeing GS grow and getting more cool features added to GS. I've personally developed simple games/utilities in Xcode and since I've worked with GS I've found that it's pretty good, but close to great ;) the additions mentioned here will bring it to that level of greatness.

Other then the additional features that everyone wants, as a designer/animator by trade, I've found it really frustrating working in GS due to the fact that it starts to really slow down after about 30 minutes of use. I'm on a MacBook pro i5, 8gb ram, I know it's not my machine. I'm sure that this is due to the memory leaks. I also think that rather then keeping all the sections in GS all in one application window, we need a way to arrange the interface in a way that best suits our work flow. I hate it that when in an actor I have to go back to the scene to then ge to the attributes section to add another attribute. That's compleatly counter productive. Or how when you collapse rules in an actor to clean things up, then leave that actor and return to it, all the rules are expanded, taking time to think, then they collapse taking more time. Sometimes it can take several minutes. This all needs fixed.

As for the forums, I really enjoy being a part of this community, but if I can't get a simple email when I check the box to subscribe to the topic, then how can I stay informed? This makes me feel even more disconnected. Please fix this or remove the checkbox.

I agree with the comments made above. You guys need to get paid as well. I would recomend adding the features that you plan to, such as Gamecenter, in app purchase, options for splash screen or not having one at all ;) and so on, but then once the system is solid. Charge 99 a year. Maybe old deva get a rebait on the first year so they dont get all pissed.

Basically having all these features gives us a solid platform, having it cost 99 a year, gives you guys a nice resource to keep pushing out updates. As for the splash screen, I think it has to go, what if apple forced all apps to have an apple branded splash screen on all apps? That would piss people off and even detour some. In allot of sence I don't see why gamesalad isn't closer to the same model tha apple has with it's developers and Xcode updates. 99 a year and new API's and updates.

Thanks for creating the GameSalad system, keep up the great work.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Yodapollo said:
    @tendrmer

Understood. This feedback definitely helps as I work on a public facing roadmap. Maybe the middle ground is prioritizing our features in terms of target quarters. Maybe how many releases we hope to have in a quarter and the features we aim to have included. That would allow me to put some kind of time frame to it, without pinning a feature to a specific release. Would that kind of roadmap be helpful as to what you're looking for?

-- Yodapollo

Any outlook on the Roadmap Yodapollo????
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    tenrdrmer said:
    Any outlook on the Roadmap Yodapollo????

I was wondering the same thing.
    Yoda said he was sorry for not getting it posted yet. Said its cause he was out last half of last week. He didn't say when it would be up though either so I guess we have to keep wondering.

Indeed of hoping to get updates and road plans posted we would more love to see the new update coming soon ;) Now we could earn some $$ on the Mac AppStore before its to late (with to massive numbers of games). So crossing fingers that we get the update very soon. BTW I would love to say thanks to the GS Team for all the kindly work they have done in the last years. I know how hard it is to get a big project like GS done.
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    Hmm, well I've stayed with Gamesalad for two years now, paid and paid and waited and waited. Sadly GS is still in beta...GS doesn't even have folders for organization!!! Sorry guys but I'm bolting to Unity, with the addition of Playmaker, a 3rd party visual programing toolkit like Kismet, I really don't see what GS has to offer...I sure hope whenever vers 1 comes out that it will blow me away but I cant wait two more years!!! Sorry and thanks for the fish.
  • mulyincmulyinc Member, PRO Posts: 102
    Eboy I can understand you, we also using GS since the beginning and yes there are good times and bad times. We just had a bad situation, submit an app to apple, just find out on late testing that some attributes etc. are lost. Where? Don`t even know ... this kind of stuff happens often when GS crashes etc. So there are other platforms, maybe some are better, but what I can say is that the GS Team is doing there best to get the stuff done. And because we do some "normal" coding on Objective-C we know how hard it is to create such a tool like GS. Yes its no excuse for some failures and communication issues. But all in all I think GS will have a bright future.

PS: Good luck on Unity!
    Sure, I certainly hope GS takes it to the next level, I'm still a paying member until Dec., but what is the plan for 1.0? They really don't tell u anything, when is coming out? This year, next year. And its so unstable, I STILL cant create a game in portrait mode, GS freezes for some reason. It takes 6 months for a .1 release? Yike. But I hope it blows me away when it does come out.
    @Eboy: I feel the same way.

@GS: Communication? Yes? No? Empty Promises?
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    GS can still have some customer is because of it's non-coding (include me)
    calvin9403 said:
    GS can still have some customer is because of it's non-coding (include me)

Yep. Also good for rapid prototyping.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    iDeveloper said:
    Yep. Also good for rapid prototyping.

true
  • dp99firstdp99first Member Posts: 1
    hey guys just jumping in off of torque, torquex and a bit of unity now
    i was with torquex for a few years before it went bankrupt- it was a lot more robust than GS, but it still had it's problems that would make any developer mad- it's funny i think some posts here are a bit harsh- but i felt the same way with torque!! and posted my rants- and told them i'm leaving for Unity...etc etc

unity does not do 2d well
    but you wont find out until you are half way through a proto-type, that it doesn't do what you want
    then you'll be like- hmmm i should do 3d with Untiy cause that's what its made for....

anyway i haven't paid for GS yet so maybe that's why im still pretty impressed with it
    im just focusing on what i can do, and im building my game around that... so far so good

im finding GS pretty good actually compared to every 2d engine out there
    my beef would be GS is not free and still in beta, still unstable, no folders. can't import movies as game elements, no major GUI improvements, frequent crashes in portrait mode (in my experience, this happens EVERY-time in portrait mode). And the biggest beef is no clue as to what they are working on for the road plan

Unity3d is free, very sophisticated tools, stable, major updates, imports many different file types. Sure u have to code but now there are Kismet like tool sets like playmaker that are node based.....ANd they let you know what is in the works.

I would LOVE to see some MAJOR update to GS but in the two years I have been waiting for major updates not much has happened except how much they charge you to use the beta.
    How long can a animator wait.
    eboy said:
    my beef would be GS is not free and still in beta, still unstable, no folders. can't import movies as game elements, no major GUI improvements, frequent crashes in portrait mode (in my experience, this happens EVERY-time in portrait mode). And the biggest beef is no clue as to what they are working on for the road plan

Unity3d is free, very sophisticated tools, stable, major updates, imports many different file types. Sure u have to code but now there are Kismet like tool sets like playmaker that are node based.....ANd they let you know what is in the works.

I would LOVE to see some MAJOR update to GS but in the two years I have been waiting for major updates not much has happened except how much they charge you to use the beta.
    How long can a animator wait.

Actually GameSalad is free to use. You only have to pay extra if you want extra features. Also FYI. I just looked at unity and how misleading to come here and claim its free. IT's $400 for a basic iOS version and $1500 if you want to use video and custom splash and the like. ALl those special features you say your pissed GS doesn't. But the reality is your the same person that will bitch that GS is charging for them when they are available.

So please and just to be clear this is to everyone who is or is thinking about making posts about how you are going to leave because GameSalad doesn't have the features you want or it just cost to much so i'm leaving, or really any threat or claim that you are going to leave due to any short coming with GameSalad. And mostly probably just looking for attention and trying to get others to beg you to stay or re convince you why you should use GS. Please do this.

Log of the GameSalad Website.

Uninstall GameSalad.

And just go.

You are doing nothing with your show but planting the seed for new users to start off bitching and moaning about features they don't or cant have when they don't even know how to make an actor move or attach a wheel to a car and make it rotate.

So please do the community a favor and take your cancer elsewhere.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    I really will leave, I swear... I mean it, I really do :)

Ace
    mynameisace said:
    I really will leave, I swear... I mean it, I really do :)

Ace

Oh please oh please do not do it. We really really need you here. :)

Thats much funnier in my head because i'm imagining Ben Stein saying it. LOL
    Haha I'm getting bored with people who can't use the software to 10% of it's limitations then whining and threatening to leave too. Sure, it has it's faults but so does Angelina Jolie... I'd still have a good go at pushing her to her limits though :)

Ace
    Hmm I thought this was an open forum to discuss GS, I didn't realize that if I had any negative feedback I would get chastised from its members. Sorry if my comments are negative and ask for improvements. As a paying member of GS I expect improvements for my subscription fee. The fact is GS is NOT free you must pay to use and upload your game to various devices. Try to think first before you post. :)
    We were saying the people that every day say I'm leaving GS every day for attention. Not the paying customers with suggestions, I have loads of suggestions. GS needs performance upgrades, arrays, Gamecentre, etc.

Ace
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    actually, since the .9.0 update, it is free to use unless you want custom splash screen and url forwarding. Here's a comparision chart: http://gamesalad.com/membership/pricing
    No custom splash unfortunately

Ace
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Right. Sorry. I meant iAds.
    @eboy
    Yes this is an open forum and we love to hear everyones thoughts and opinions. However when some such as yourself has gone on for 2 days now about where you think GS lacks and you are leaving because of it. We are so more than done with those comments and are ready for you to make good on your promise.

And for the record since 0.9.0 the only cost you must pay to create good games with GameSalad is the $99 apple subscription. beyond that any further cost it completely up to the end user.

We are all more than aware of the problems GameSalad has and are sick of having them repeated day in day out. so that the next group of users who for some reason think that since GameSalad is free it should be able to create 3d games while you sleep. and since it doesn't and they see the norm here is to simply bitch about it they make there own post of why GS sucks and continue the vicious cycle of wasting everyones time with there hissy fit.

No one worried about you leaving because your concern is to come here make sure everyone knows you are leaving. the ones who we should be concerned about are the ones who made the switch without the show. FMG for one. he didn't come in to the forum and say you know what guys look at me. me me me me. I'm outta here this GS direct stuff is bull.

No he just made the switch and has hung out here and still helped out where he could with out all the GS bashing which is so ridiculously redundant. If you have something constructive to say. then say but please keep your redundant pissing and moaning to yourself. Because we are all so sick of it.
    POW! haha

Ace
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    Yodapollo said:
    We’re done being super silent. We’re excited to talk to you on a regular basis -- we have lots to share...

...Thanks, everyone, and we’ll be talking even more often from now on!

Is this still valid?