Big Picture Update - Communication, Updates, and a Game Jam!

1235»

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    eboy said:
    Hmm I thought this was an open forum to discuss GS, I didn't realize that if I had any negative feedback I would get chastised from its members. Sorry if my comments are negative and ask for improvements. As a paying member of GS I expect improvements for my subscription fee. The fact is GS is NOT free you must pay to use and upload your game to various devices. Try to think first before you post. :)

you think before you post. Gamesalad is free to use, submit, and test on devices. You only need your apple dev account, which you need no matter what engine you use.
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    Scoots said:
    Is this still valid?

I would like to know the same..... Visually, it isn't valid.
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    you think before you post. Gamesalad is free to use, submit, and test on devices. You only need your apple dev account, which you need no matter what engine you use.

I think YOU should think before you post.. The whole "free gamesalad" thing is new for some of us. (Us who has been here for more than few months) It is normal for someone who has not been active recently can very well miss that :)

I'm not commenting on the actual topic you are talking about, but, just needed to say this :)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    cbt said:
    I think YOU should think before you post.. The whole "free gamesalad" thing is new for some of us. (Us who has been here for more than few months) It is normal for someone who has not been active recently can very well miss that :)

I'm not commenting on the actual topic you are talking about, but, just needed to say this :)

Even if he missed the big FREE words on the main page, Its not like he was just asking if its free, then that would be EXTREMELY rude of me to say that. But hes going on and on about how hes leaving and unity is better and such. He should get his facts right before trying to act like a ass :)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @CBT
    After being informed it was in fact free this was his response.
    eboy said:
    Hmm I thought this was an open forum to discuss GS, I didn't realize that if I had any negative feedback I would get chastised from its members. Sorry if my comments are negative and ask for improvements. As a paying member of GS I expect improvements for my subscription fee. The fact is GS is NOT free you must pay to use and upload your game to various devices. Try to think first before you post. :)

He's outta line, Talking sht just to stir sht, and needs to buzz off. he came back from being inactive to tell everyone how much he thought GS still sucked and he was moving to something else. He needs to put a sock in it and go to unity if that what he's really gonna do. Cause all he's doing here is trying to provoke others to join the feet kicking pity party.

Can we please get a sous-chef to shut this thread down since it has been nothing but a b*tch fest on both sides for the past few day?
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    You Spelt !@#$% wrong :)

Ace
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    @JohnPapiomitis
    @tenrdrmer

To be honest, I don't think he can manage Unity. It requires intelligence, you know.. :)
    Besides that, I too am thinking he is just talking nonsense, just for the sake of trolling. I solved this when I re-read all posts just now..

But, there is one more thing I can not solve. Why GameSalad team opened this thread and said they would do this and this and never do them. I thought GGJ was on the way, and that could be the reason why they are busy, but, It is over for a week now..

They did this in GGJ blog posts too.. :P
    http://gamesalad.com/blog/2011/01/28/global-game-jam-2011/

I couldn't enter the contest and was following this blog post closely. But there wasn't enough info and updates on there too..

I'm sure some in-company things are going wrong. Or something like that. Because I feel like, at least Yoda is trying to communicate more with us. But there can be things we don't know, preventing him for now. But, I'm sure GS is getting better behind those closed curtains :)

And I'm kind of glad that they are not letting us know things. :P I know they are working on this update for a long time. And if Darren and Wayne can do that awsome stuff in this short notice, a GS team will do so much more I guess. I like surprises. :)
  • gilallgilall Member Posts: 13
    Having used Unity and Xcode neither of them even come close to the ease of use that Gamesalad presents and the fact that it is free is amazing. And you can't expect everything to be perfect on a free piece of software. Unity is good but is expensive if you want to use it properly. Its $400 for a IOS license for those of you that don't know and thats for the cheap one that has more than half the features missing. If you want a fully fledged one, you have to buy Unity Pro which is $1500 and IOS Pro which is another $1500, Totalling $3000. Then you have to learn the script which is either Javascript or C#. Although it is a one time free and not an annual fee. Also if you make more than $100,000 a year you have to buy the pro license, which is fair enough.
    Just food for thought if your looking into using unity :)
    I have also just invested in ITorque while it is on offer. It is currently only $99 instead of $250 and thats for life, no annual fee.
    so thought id give it a go.
    Also when I bought it they threw in Torque 2D and Torque 2D Pro for free and all of the source code for the game engine for both Desktop computers and IOS devices so if I want to add Gamecenter or IAds or any of the IOS' normal capabilities I can.
    Again there is a scripting language to learn obviously which is called Torquescript, from what I've done so far it isnt too hard to do but it is a major difference from using Gamesalad. It also creates an XCode project from the game so you can make any modifications you want before publishing.
    Torque also make a 3D one for the same price which is good but cant deploy to IOS :(
    I wish they would hurry up with the update for gamesalad too, but cant expect everything from freeware like I said earlier.
    Just some things to consider.
    Come on Gamesalad we're all waiting for this update.
    @gilall:

It creates an Xcode project? Now why can't GS do that?

I also like the fact you have access to the source.
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    Ha! You guys are hilarious. Talk about hanging on to a sinking ship. Keep on dreaming for a version 1.

So long suckers.
  • cbowers428cbowers428 Member Posts: 176
    eboy said:
    Ha! You guys are hilarious. Talk about hanging on to a sinking ship. Keep on dreaming for a version 1.

So long suckers.

You're an ass. But seriously wtf is going on!
    cbowers428 said:
    You're an ass. But seriously wtf is going on!

Actually he does have a point. GS is free, and with no major incentive to upgrade to pro.......... (iAds and URLs?)

How is GS earning money from the little amount of pro accounts they do have?

I'm afraid he is right about GS.....
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @jonmulcahy

This thread has been off topic for several Days. I really think someone should close it anyway. Heck its even been over a week since a head chef has contributed which I think says alot about the direction the thread has gone.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I know, but since it was started by the GS team I don't want to close it unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to step on anyones toes.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    I think the reason why people are frustrated are manifold!

When ever leadership lacks, the door to all kinds of mishaps open. I don't want to paint a blacker than black picture but too many are restless. Too many are frustrated even if we don't show it easily.
    If the next update does not bring killer features (and there is NO indication that it does), the requested debates for this and that will flare up before too long.

I don't understand why this is so difficult?

1 - until the memory leak is fixed give basic away for free (done!)
    2 - make a logo less version for $99 or 199 with "sales/specials" once in a while!
    2 - sell a $999 version where we no longer have to send our file to your server! This way, our hard work and countless hours invested would not be in vain when the company folds?

GS has a good product and when they communicate, most in the community are pleased. So why be so tight lipped???

It makes no sense!
    iDeveloper said:
    @gilall:

It creates an Xcode project? Now why can't GS do that?

I also like the fact you have access to the source.

Yes Torque creates an xcode project and allows you to add things such as gamecenter and you can even add your own physics engine such as box 2d if you want to.
    As I said it is still more complicated to use than ganesalad but easier than writing it all in xcode.
    I have not been using it long and have not published any games with it yet, but I am currently learning torque script and will start work on a game on it soon. I'll tell you how it goes.
    I have published some of my games made in gamesalad, and am actually currently working on one made in gamesalad.
    The source code is for the game engine if you do want to add in box 2d physics etc.
    Because I got Torque 2D Pro free with it I can also publish to mac and PC and because it makes a XCode project I can publish to the mac app store with it, which is great. :)

If I have got this right, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't GS used to create an xcode project so that it didnt need to be sent to their servers?

Don't get me wrong here I'm not in any way trying to promote other game engines because I think that GS is great and is amazing for free. But I would pay for it if all of the bugs were sorted out and there were more features and more regular updates. Or at least some sort of weekly update telling us whats going with it.
    And could we please have our walls etc back :)

thanks for reading
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    the way i look at all these engines, is whats the best value for money?
    GS is easy to use and you can push things out quickly but if GS as a company folds then your business folds if you rely on it.

Torque gives you everything for you money. All engine code and an editor like GS but C type coding is required to get it all running. When your testing is finished in the editor, you compile it and this pops you into XCODE.

Corona is starting to catch up to GS and people are making editors to generate code. From my testing, like GS, it contacts a central server during compile time.

Unity has all you need to build and compile your app on your MAC with no lookup server (as far as i can tell).

I am working with all engines this year and will end up only using 2 by the end of 2011. one 3d and one 2d. At the moment it will be unity and torque because I want control over how I compile and manage my business.

If GS provided a version for $99 which compiled on the MAC then I would stick with it but at 499 for a pro license with no control on how it compiles, it makes for me to drop to a basic license at the end of the year just to keep existing apps updated if needed. No plans beyond 2011 to use GS unless it becomes amazing.
    TwistedMech said:
    the way i look at all these engines, is whats the best value for money?
    GS is easy to use and you can push things out quickly but if GS as a company folds then your business folds if you rely on it.

Torque gives you everything for you money. All engine code and an editor like GS but C type coding is required to get it all running. When your testing is finished in the editor, you compile it and this pops you into XCODE.

Corona is starting to catch up to GS and people are making editors to generate code. From my testing, like GS, it contacts a central server during compile time.

Unity has all you need to build and compile your app on your MAC with no lookup server (as far as i can tell).

I am working with all engines this year and will end up only using 2 by the end of 2011. one 3d and one 2d. At the moment it will be unity and torque because I want control over how I compile and manage my business.

If GS provided a version for $99 which compiled on the MAC then I would stick with it but at 499 for a pro license with no control on how it compiles, it makes for me to drop to a basic license at the end of the year just to keep existing apps updated if needed. No plans beyond 2011 to use GS unless it becomes amazing.

Well said, I agree completely and I am too currently having the same thoughts as you and have started with unity as a 3d engine and torque as my 2d engine. But I need to finnish the game I have started in GS before moving on. But all I have left to do now is making all of the levels, so should be done soon :)
    I know I shouldn't really say this, don't want to give any one any ideas
    I'm surprised no one has taken the code from the GS Viewer iPhone/iPad app and made their own compiler for GS games.
    As far as I can tell the viewer just loads the app you select, and when you package GS apps all it actually does is shoves your GS project file into a wrapper with the engine in and modifies the plist a bit for provisioning etc. The engine is pretty much the viewer app without the selection screen and connection bits, because all the viewer does is the computer sends it the project file (maybe compresses the images) and then the app looks in the directory it is told it is in and loads it into the engine. This is just a logical guess but as far as I can tell thats what it does.