Would you pay $50 to get 1,000 people to like your games Facebook Page?

ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
edited November -1 in Business and Marketing Theory
Seriously.

Would any of you pay that much?

I will start a Poll but please comment to.

Comments

• FjantIncFjantInc Member Posts: 115
    No. I'd rather people liked it by their own will and thereby hopefully spreading the word because they want to.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    But what if it's because of that? Just because someone makes more people notice it or something.

This dude ran this spiel by me and wondering weather to do it or not.
  • inceptioninception Member Posts: 74
    Sorry, not trying to be mean, but you really need to start putting your threads in the right forum categories. This thread has nothing to do with "Working with GameSalad", defined as 'Actors, behaviors, and attributes' in the menu.

I really wish the mods would crack down on this a bit harder too. There's no point in having categories otherwise.

Also - the answer your topic question, I would not :P
    Hahahaha mate mega sorry. I always forget to do that. Well 8/10 times.
    Yeah they should set it up so that you can't post til you've selected your topic.

I will try harder not to in future.
    So what did you have in mind? Having a crew of people that constantly likes games, so their friend's feeds will be overflown by "Mr. Andersson liked Anger Birdys II"? I'd hide / remove that friend after 5-10 Likes... Therefor; No.
  • inceptioninception Member Posts: 74
    ozboybrian said:
    Hahahaha mate mega sorry. I always forget to do that. Well 8/10 times.
    Yeah they should set it up so that you can't post til you've selected your topic.

I will try harder not to in future.

Appreciate it :) Sorry if I came off a bit angry, I just see it a lot these days.
    Nah mate you're cool. I totally understand.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    oz you should have a sticky page that you won't have to make soooo many threads!!
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    calvin9403 said:
    oz you should have a sticky page that you won't have to make soooo many threads!!

ARGH D: LET THE IRONY GODS STRIKE THOU DOWN WITH THEIR FULL FURY.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    We like you for free if you post in the right topic next time ;)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    PossesiveGaming said:
    ARGH D: LET THE IRONY GODS STRIKE THO DOWN WITH THEIR FULL FURY.

haha.
    moving this to the right category
    hahahaha @ Ludwig!

Ok i'll be good from now on guys please don't eat me.
  • xarmianxarmian Member Posts: 124
    I think it's a good question, and personally I would. It's a form of marketing just like using an ad, but I think it's more effective because of the social aspect (people treat it less like an ad and more like a genuine suggestion). The more something is "liked" the more likely it will end up on people's pages as a "maybe you should like this" which is like an ad. People like to follow, and this capitalizes on that. It doesn't matter if those 1000 people really like your game in the end.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    calvin9403 said:

You're one to talk....
    DreamLab said:
    You're one to talk....

one?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Ok kids, settle down!

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

quantumsheep said:
    Ok kids, settle down!

• DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    S*** be going down here... :P
    Hahaha ^^

Xarmian, you're right. Thanks :D
  • OctappusOctappus Member Posts: 68
    $50 for 1,000 potential customers? Yes - definitely.

But what kind of followers are you actually going to get for your fifty bucks? Will any of the thousand actually ever refer back to the page or read its posts/status updates? Will any of the thousand actually bring in new followers?

Bottom line - will you sell fifty $1 apps through this venture and recoup your investment?

The general rule of thumb in social media marketing is build up your following through hard work - this will get you genuine followers and potential customers. Taking short cuts costs money and gains you nothing.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Octappus said:
    The general rule of thumb in social media marketing is build up your following through hard work - this will get you genuine followers and potential customers. Taking short cuts costs money and gains you nothing.

Gotta agree with that!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• CaniohCanioh Member Posts: 200
    calvin9403 said:

Dude you crack me up!... you were joking right?
  • olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    No, your not gonna make any money with your Facebook page I'm afraid.
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Even if there might be a good marketing idea somewhere hidden in this, sounds like paying for friendship.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Canioh said:
    Dude you crack me up!... you were joking right?

exactly
    Well put it like this.
    You look at a game page with 30 fans and you see a new one with 1000 fans. What's gonna draw you in more which page do you think has the better game.
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    Absolutely not. This is akin to paying for reviews, you just don't do it. Now paying a PR company to do proper PR for you, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
    Paying for reviews? It's just having a larger support base. No one is reviewing your game just liking it's facebook page. No idea how he does it but.

P.S - What's PR?
    ozboybrian said:
    Well put it like this.
    You look at a game page with 30 fans and you see a new one with 1000 fans. What's gonna draw you in more which page do you think has the better game.

I really don't mind how many fans a game has on Facebook. If an icon or image is better looking with 2 fans than an icon created in MS Paint and has 2000 fans, I'd go for the first.

127 people like the game Psycho Fox for Master System on Facebook, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

I'm having a hard time understanding the use of your "top iPhone game" page aswell. To start with, the image used has the Facebook, Shazam and Angry Birds icons on it. Two of those aren't even games, and if the point is to advertise games that don't get that much attention, then why is Angry Bird on the image?

Second, exactly how will it benefit my game to "clump it together" with lots of other games? What really is the benefit? Do you have any statistics that shows not how many people visited your page, but how many actually downloaded a game because of it?

Misunderstand me correct; Facebook is a great way to let people know of your game, but just creating a page with lots of more or less anonymousness games... Well, sorry, I don't see the benefit.
    Firstly: That main uses are. The mention your favourite iPhone game (majority of peoples favourite game is Angry Birds.
    The other use is to find out about what games are good that not many people know about, if people aren't posting them then that might mean we know about them.

And yes the advertisement cluttering up the page does make it very pointless.
    How ever when I have time and I do see a 10/10 game done by someone with GS I will put a status update & review for it, so it will appear on everyone's news feed which will catch their attention.

Currently waiting for someone to update his game a little more to as I sent him a private message as I think his game concept artwork and sound is great so far. That's where the potential is at.
    When the games fan base builds up - every status update will get noticed by each and every single fan that has liked the page.

And in terms with ur point about the logo will catch attention. You 100% correct. But what if there are two awesome logos. One with 100 fans and one with 1,000 fans. That makes the difference.