THE SOUND BUG IS SO ANNOYING!!!

calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
alright, I can't go to work because the sound bug

I used to have only 1 sound file

today I add 4 more, and no sound will play

try to add a testing project, redo my sound, delete and download GS again, convert to ogg, go though the contact files and here them, use a different macand even reboot my computer!

anyone can help out?

thanks a lot

Calvin

Comments

• JPickardJPickard Member Posts: 477
    Is your Mac a "core duo" and not a "core2duo" or newer? That's the problem we discovered in another thread and what the Devs confirmed, and put at the top of their list. I really really need them to fix this soon, too. I got "someone important" who needs to check out my game in two weeks, and if there's no sound by then, I'm screwed.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Sorry, I can't hear you over the AWESOME SOUND coming from my games!

ahaha!

That's cruel, I know, but I couldn't help it ;)

Sorry!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    what is your computer QS?
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    No sound bug issues here. My major complaint with 0.9.5 is that it is SLOWER to spawn actors than 0.9.4. WTF!? :/

What's the sound problem you are having?
    no sound will play

that is a big problem
    2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - It's pretty old - a white MacBook that's *literally* falling apart...

Have you tried converting your sound files into .Wavs - then dragging them into GS?

That's what I've been doing and had no problems!

Hope it gets sorted soon for ya,

I try wavs already, but still...

I hope GS can fix this fast we NEED THIS ASAP, not IAP
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    You might have a problem with your on board sound card. Nobody else seems to have this much of a problem with sounds, especially newly created ones. Just a thought.
    what is on board sound cloud?
    calvin9403 said:
    I try wavs already, but still...

I hope GS can fix this fast we NEED THIS ASAP, not IAP

Oh! Didn't you hear?

The fix is available right now, as an IAP for GS.

:D

quantumsheep said:
    Oh! Didn't you hear?

The fix is available right now, as an IAP for GS.

:D

I will buy that IAP for 499$ lol
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    do you experience no sound when you preview on the iDevice?

If so then it's something in the Mac itself.
    do you mean viewer or ad hoc?
    hey the sound just come back for no reason

YA!!!
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    A sound cloud is something you experience during a rain storm…A sound card is the device that makes it possible for you to hear audio through your speakers! :P

And glad you got it working now.
    SlickZero said:
    A sound cloud is something you experience during a rain storm…A sound card is the device that makes it possible for you to hear audio through your speakers! :P

And glad you got it working now.

Maybe he switched to using a sound cloud?

• olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    SlickZero said:
    You might have a problem with your on board sound card. Nobody else seems to have this much of a problem with sounds, especially newly created ones. Just a thought.
    Alot of people have this problem, me included. The sound plays on AdHOc builds but not in the GS creator. Very annoying but will get fixed soon.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I also DO NOT have this issue. I have a MBP with core 2 duo
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Hi, I'm not getting any sound playing on my iMac 4,1...

OS X 10.6.8
    2GHz Intel Core Duo
    2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Using Game Salad 0.9.6 Free currently.

Trying to play through the demo projects that come with Game Salad, and for example, the sound is not playing in Crazy Ball Wall Breaker. And I haven't heard any sound in any of the projects I've loaded so far, either... But I came here because Crazy Ball Wall Breaker has code in it to play sounds in the game, and they're not playing, so I seem to have "the problem"...

I'm just testing on my Mac itself, not on a device. But it should work on the Mac right?

Any ideas?
    The TRAVUS Catchphrase app is not playing any sound for me either.

Any ideas? I BOUGHT this Mac to try using Game Salad, and sound doesn't work on it!??
    I've gotten up to Alien War 2 in the sample projects now, and sound DOES play in that...!

So perhaps any projects set to "iPhone Landscape" for example, won't play sound, and ones set to "Gamesalad Arcade" will...?
    Maybe there's just some sound files missing... Blah!
    I can't fix this problem. I just bought a Mac so I can use Game Salad, and it crashes all the time, and the sounds don't play back. What's going on here? Gah...

I find that often, when dragging sounds into Game Salad, instead of bringing up the Import Progress Bar, it just comes up with the rotating color wheel of waiting doom. Have to Force Quit. Lame. Please fix.

I am finding that when I do successfully import files, ONLY those that I import as MUSIC can be played. Any that I import as SOUND EFFECTS do not play. So I cannot get any sounds to work in my game. Anyone else having this problem, or know a solution?

I've been saving my files as WAV because that does seem to work with the music type files (it turns them into M4A files when I import them).

But I am having no luck with any sound effects playing. Why not?

- Murray
    I tried installing VoodooHDA drivers, and ended up crippling my Mac so it wouldn't boot up at all! Just lost all my latest Game Salad work, as I needed to run Time Warp to restore my computer.

This sound bug is really annoying! I want sound in my game! HELP!

I tried to send this to Game Salad "REPORT A BUG" email, but when I hit "SUBMIT", it came up with an error that the page cannot be found! IRONIC!

=======

Hi,

I bought an iMac 4,1 to use with Game Salad, and I've been making good progress, and it's a very cool program, but it is rather unstable.

My main problem is that no SOUND FX ever play.

MUSIC does play, but any sound imported as SOUND FX do not work. And sound does not play in any of the sample projects (unless it's music).

I have tried it on OS X 10.6.3 and on OS X 10.6.8. SOUND FX do not play on either.

Could you please fix this bug, as it's stopping me from being able to complete a game, and many of my ideas are focussed on sound as core parts of the game experience.

My Mac is an iMac 4,1, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM. And pretty much a fresh install.

I tried running some VooDooHDA drivers to address the problem, but this resulted in my Mac being unable to boot up, and I lost all my work, and had to start again. It's driving me a bit mad.

Is this a known problem, and do you have a fix for it going into the next build? When is the next build coming?

Thanks!

=======
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    I have some problems with sounds and music too.
    When I pause and turn off the music by setting the music volume to zero or turn it on by setting it to 1 and then unpause the music sometimes doesn't go on or off and then when I go back to pause and unpause it works again.

Also sometimes the soundeffects in my game stop playing after a level reset.

I thought I did something wrong for long.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    To be more precise, the soundfx sometimes stop when I reset a level.
    Not always.

In the viewer on my iPhone.
  • JPickardJPickard Member Posts: 477
    Sadly, it is still continuing for me. Downloading demos with music and sound effects: The music works, the sound effects do not. When I look in the sound tab and press play on the effects, GS totally crashes.

It still seems to be an issue with only core duo Macs, not core 2 duos.
    Still happening for me. Totally stuck with sounds. Very frustrating. Crippling my game development plans. Dying to know when it will be fixed. Need fix immediately!

I've tried it in all different versions of Game Salad and OSX, and it's always the same.
    Music works, and SoundFX don't. This is especially annoying seeing as the differentiation between Music and SoundFX seems a bit arbitrary anyway! I can see how it makes things easier when setting up your Options Screen, etc, so Music assets are always controlled by Music Volume, and SoundFX are controlled by SoundFX volume, I suppose. But it seems strange that they use different enough playback methods that the Music works while the SoundFX don't! Anyway, I'm sure there's a reason for all that, I just hope that Game Salad can get a patch out for it ASAP. I really don't see why it can't be reproduced and fixed fairly trivially.

I've tried Game Salad 0.9.6 and 0.9.71 on both OSX 10.6.3 and 10.6.8.

All four configuration combination do the same thing.

I can play Music assets in the editor itself by clicking on the PLAY button on the Music clips, and I can use the Music in game. All fine.

But the SoundFX do not play in game, or by clicking PLAY on the clips in the editor. No SoundFX playing. Grrr!

Please, please, please help us poor Cure Duo users!

I cannot buy this software if the sound does not work.

To be honest, I'm pretty dumbfounded that I just bought my first Mac, and there's software/driver/compatibility issues with the audio. It just defies what I've always heard about the "Mac experience", and it's very frustrating.

I would love to hear from the Game Salad creators, to at least have reproduced this problem, that they've seen it, that they know it exists and acknowledge that it exists, and that there's a number of us out here suffering from it. There could be countless others who experience it and simply give up, and don't even bother coming to the forums to describe the problem.

Was the sound chip on these iMac4,1's different or something? Why would it only happen to certain computers?

Can you try different audio drivers? Is that possible? Has anyone tried that? If there was a driver that someone KNOWS works to fix this, then that would solve everyone's problem, and we wouldn't have to wait for GameSalad to fix this...???

I've looked through my System Preferences, and everything is all fine. All volumes are turned up, nothing is muted. It should work, but it doesn't.

I've just been dragging WAV files in, as that works for the Music, and from what I've read, GameSalad is converting the files when imported, so I figure WAV is the way to go.

Could it be that you need a special version of playback decoders installed on your computer to play back the specific format that Game Salad imports the files as? Like, if they're MP4s, do I need specific MP4 codecs installed? Or whatnot? Has anyone tried that? I'm a bit new to Macs, and have already caused my computer to become unbootable once by trying some "developer drivers" to fix this problem, and it took me hours to get my computer back using Time Machine. Hassle plus.

A fix to this problem would be the best news all month.

This is a real show stopper for me, and I can't really see the light at the end of the tunnel. Would love to hear some solid assurances from Game Salad right about now. Really hoped the fix would be listed in the 0.9.71 update. Alas.

Details of my machine...

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.1f5