Frustrated TOTB3 entrants that missed the deadline, are they allowed in late?

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited November -1 in Conferences and Events
Good evening...

I've received an email or two from some annoyed competition runners for TOTB3 that missed the 12pm GMT deadline yesterday due to either their internet breaking, uploading problems or getting confused over time zones.

Vote to save their entries!
I've been asked to do a poll to see if they can still have their games entered into the competition as a final entrant for judging and the chance of winning some awesome prizes.

They've put in the hours
They have put a lot of work into their games and had the fullest of intentions of entering them into the contest for judging and prizes.

What happend last time
I got a bit of flack last time for allowing a couple of games in a few hours after the deadline, so I have been strict this time and said if you missed the deadline your out.

Can they be saved?
If everyone thinks they should be allowed to have their games in the running for prizes and judging and make the whole thing a much more chilled affair than please vote on the poll.

Cheers

Jon

stormystudio.com

P.S. Please don't feel the need to start posting and arguing over the situation, or guessing who has emailed me... Cheers.

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Ok so I have thought a lot about it. But honestly. I think NO. nothing at all against the guys who missed the deadline. But just because they should not have waited to the last min. I know that sounds harsh . But for the contest to be legit it has to follow rules. I feel really bad for those guys. But thats the rules of the contest.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    yeah im with tendrmer. It was made VERY clear that no late entries would be alloud in. You even specified a time zone as to not cause confusions.

sorry guys :( but rules are rules
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Sorry but I have to say no. I didn't go to bed and worked my *ss of to het my entry in on time and made sure I got it ready on time an hour before the entry time. I have mistaken the gmt to CET conversion due to some one who here who gave me false info (unintentional or not decide for your self by reading my thread).
    It would be an enormous bummer if I wouldn't have made it but when I honestly think of it I would blame myself only and wouldn't have complained about it. I understand that people do and am ok with that but I beg to differ.

Sorry guys, next year better and your app is probably great so go sell it in the app store and get rich and famous ;)

Cheers,
    Ludwig
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Storm, maybe next year you can put up a countdown clock online?
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    Rules are rules. We all worked really hard on the contest and I even made sure to quadruple check the timezone difference so I knew I would make the deadline with some planning. If you missed it it's your own fault. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true. I agree with Ludwig, if I missed the deadline I would have only blamed myself.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Just like Ludwig I got confused with the gmt to cet conversion and almost handed my entry in late. Thankfully I got it in on time, but I think next time you should notify us an hour or two before the contest ends. But for this time I don't think anything should be changed. It is what it is, and a good lesson learned for the next time around.
  • TeamLava8TeamLava8 Member, BASIC Posts: 294
    I'm honestly impartial. I would have loved a few extra hours or whatnot. But honestly I don't think there was any shady business going on. I just think that this being an international contest things can get a bit confusing. Time Zone wise I mean. Either way I'm not sure it matters. It's all about what was created and the fun that came along with it. And ultimately the games associated. Which by all accounts look marvelous.

But if everyone else sees and issue with it, i guess that's okay too.

Jason

Making the world better one pixel at a time!

My Website
    Over 70 AWESOME Gamesalad Templates by me!
    HIRE ME!

• RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    I'm impartial as well. I only just made it and if I were in their situation I'd hate to be left out after working so hard over the fact that I incorrectly changed the time.

Also, you actually closed it at 12pm BST, an hour ahead of GMT. An hour during which I think one or two people submitted so they should definitely be considered in my opinion.
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    RH said:
    I'm impartial as well. I only just made it and if I were in their situation I'd hate to be left out after working so hard over the fact that I incorrectly changed the time.

Also, you actually closed it at 12pm BST, an hour ahead of GMT. An hour during which I think one or two people submitted so they should definitely be considered in my opinion.

Yes, the conversion clock online said that there was 6 hours dif from MST where Im at to GMT but the contest ended 5 hours dif. I did turn it in within the 6 hrs. I'm not bitter or anything as I wasn't one to email a complaint, but I think my entry should technically be in on time since the time conversion issue.
    Crazybreadman said:
    Yes, the conversion clock online said that there was 6 hours dif from MST where Im at to GMT but the contest ended 5 hours dif. I did turn it in within the 6 hrs. I'm not bitter or anything as I wasn't one to email a complaint, but I think my entry should technically be in on time since the time conversion issue.

If that is True and The end was announced an hour early Yours should be allowed. Although the ones after that should not.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    no, if we did, then next time everyone will did it too
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    tenrdrmer said:
    Ok so I have thought a lot about it. But honestly. I think NO. nothing at all against the guys who missed the deadline. But just because they should not have waited to the last min. I know that sounds harsh . But for the contest to be legit it has to follow rules. I feel really bad for those guys. But thats the rules of the contest.

LudwigHeijden said:
    Storm, maybe next year you can put up a countdown clock online?

GamersRejoice said:
    Rules are rules. We all worked really hard on the contest and I even made sure to quadruple check the timezone difference so I knew I would make the deadline with some planning. If you missed it it's your own fault. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true. I agree with Ludwig, if I missed the deadline I would have only blamed myself.

+++1
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Ok, sorry guys looks like a no, too many people would be annoyed if this rule was overlooked.

Very Close call though.

Also just pointing out I ended the contest at 12pm on the dot gmt . Not sure what system made it look an hour early.

Cheers

Jon
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    @Stormystudio
    Next time place a big countdown timer in the middle of your website so no one will be late :P
    Giacomo
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    giacomopoppi said:
    @Stormystudio
    Next time place a big countdown timer in the middle of your website so no one will be late :P
    Giacomo

Sounds like a plan.... (I'm sure there must be some code to do that...)
  • TeamLava8TeamLava8 Member, BASIC Posts: 294
    I could bust one out for you guys next time around, web stuff is my day job!

Making the world better one pixel at a time!

My Website
    Over 70 AWESOME Gamesalad Templates by me!
    HIRE ME!

• JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    jayleedesigns said:
    I could bust one out for you guys next time around, web stuff is my day job!

Awesome!
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    I am going with YES.
  • JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    stormystudio said:
    Ok, sorry guys looks like a no, too many people would be annoyed if this rule was overlooked.

Very Close call though.

Also just pointing out I ended the contest at 12pm on the dot gmt . Not sure what system made it look an hour early.

Cheers

Jon

Is it a no then? Maybe we should close the pole then? Or is that not possible...
  • MetzoPainoMetzoPaino Member Posts: 195
    It's harsh, but rules are rules. It would be cool if a countdown was embedded into the forums when there was a competition on though.
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    stormystudio said:

It was BST, not GMT. So it was 12pm in the UK but we're currently one hour ahead of GMT
    RH said:
    It was BST, not GMT. So it was 12pm in the UK but we're currently one hour ahead of GMT

Im really not familiar with BST and GMT. Stormy has made a choice. unfortunately everyone can not always be happy. I can tell you i'm impressed at how many more people participated this time around even as upset as many people were the last time around. Im gonna Go ahead and shut this down. The Decision is made and i'm sure we could beat this BST GMT issue to death but since GameSalads forum does not give a time when the post was made (which I hate BTW) theres really nothing we can do about it at this time.

Oh yeah and this reminds me I have to get to judging.
This discussion has been closed.