GameSalad 0.9.6 - Marketplace, Cookbook, Image Flipping

LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hello everyone,

GameSalad 0.9.6 Beta is here, and available for immediate download. Today's update of GameSalad consists of three major features, along with a long list of fixes and improvements to established features and workflow.

GameSalad Marketplace

Concurrent with the release of GameSalad 0.9.6, we are launching the first iteration of the official GameSalad Marketplace. As I described in the public roadmap a few months ago, the Marketplace will be an online store where users will be able to buy and sell artwork, audio, templates and other project assets. Marketplace is fully integrated with GameSalad Creator, making it a breeze to import your purchased assets into any project you're currently working on.

The full GameSalad Marketplace is still a couple of weeks away. Today, we are launching with a library of art assets. In a few weeks, we will open up the Marketplace to partner asset providers, as well as expand to audio and templates.

The GameSalad Marketplace will provide game creators a fast and easy way to bring high quality assets and improved production value to their project as well as provide independent artists and creators access to our developer community.

GameSalad Creator 0.9.6 Beta

In GameSalad 0.9.6 we're introducing two new features: Y-axis Image Flipping and Library.

Library is the Creator-side integration of the official GameSalad Marketplace. Within Library, you'll be able to view all the assets already integrated within your open project as well as view any items ever purchased on GameSalad Marketplace. From here, you'll be able to add purchased items directly into your current project.

Image flipping is incredibly exciting and a feature we've wanted to add for a long time. Now, creators no longer need to produce separate left and right facing images and animation sequences for their actors. Instead, users can simply choose to "flip" the image or animation sequence so as to face the other way.

Also in GameSalad 0.9.6 includes multiple fixes and refinements. Among them, we've corrected issues with the 'Otherwise' section of rules. A complete list of fixes and improvements can be found in our Creator 0.9.6 Release Notes.

GameSalad Cookbook

Launching in conjunction with GameSalad 0.9.6 and Marketplace is the new GameSalad Cookbook. Cookbook replaces the original GameSalad Wiki and provides a much more robust knowledge base of all things GameSalad. Users can ask their GameSalad and game design related questions and responses will come from both members of the community and the GameSalad team. Answers will be in text form, but can also include YouTube videos, screenshots, etc. The community will rate the value of each answer through a voting system, making the best answers easy to find.

It is easy to search and filter Cookbook to find the exact issue you need to resolve. If you don't see it, adding your question is just a click away.

The GameSalad Cookbook knowledge base will continue to grow along with GameSalad and its Community.

As we get closer to the end of the summer and the roll out of GameSalad 1.0, you'll see more releases, along with more cool features, fixes, and improvements.

For now, enjoy GameSalad 0.9.6 and keep up the awesome games we've seen sprout up in the last few months. The success that has come to this community over the past quarter has been nothing short of incredible and speaks to the unquestionable talent of everyone here.

Important Links:

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Woot!! So happy it's here! :)
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    You guys are amazing
    Thanks
    Michael
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    Looks great! My only observation is that the prices in the market place look quite high... It is nearly more convinient to buy from iStock..
    Great update anyhow!

Giacomo

EDIT:
    WooHooo! 0.9.6 didn't break my game!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Image Flipping is Great and will definitely help to reduce image memory usage. Extremely easy to use too.
    giacomopoppi said:
    Looks great! My only observation is that the prices in the market place look quite high... It is nearly more convinient to buy from iStock..
    Great update anyhow!

Giacomo

istock will not show up inside the creator once downloaded when you need it. Thats a big plus with the Marketplace You can go straight from the creator to the marketplace and once downloaded everything you have purchased is available in a window in the creator. And Im sure you will see lower price stuff once it gets opened to members of the community to list assets.
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    So excited!!! Thank you GameSalad Team!
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    @tenrdrmer yeah, that is exactly what I am hoping for ;)

The gamesalad cookbook looks great btw, but when browsing the forums the cookbook link dissapears on the top of the site. ;)
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    Interesting, although I doubt I'll use any of these features. Image flipping is the only one.
  • devjohnsondevjohnson Member Posts: 94
    I was just thinking about how much easier it would be if I could just flip image for my new game. That really works out lol.
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    Is library just a way to interface with the Marketplace? Or will I be able to effectively organize my entire game's assets now? Even the stuff I create myself?
  • entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    Great release! Image flipping works beautifully! Cookbook looks like it's going to grow into an amazing resource. Very exciting! Marketplace and the library integration is a perfect idea and I'm sure it'll be a vital feature for many current and future users.

Excellent work GS Team!

:^)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Well, this is interesting... the Cookbook is competition for my Textbook... but I think the two can coexist. The original reason why the project got started was because the official site was lacking in documentation. This, I think it's the opposite. Now it looks like a lot of documentation. That's good, but I think that the textbook is still the best linear explanation of GameSalad.

As for the Marketplace... wow... now this is exciting!
    I'm ready with 500 sound effects to put on the Marketplace!

Also, maybe I can put the Textbook on the marketplace... maybe make it the official textbook?
  • msonesmsones Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 75
    @ giacomopoppi - yeah, we're aware of the header issue. It'll be fixed soon. :-)

@ Photics - we see Cookbook as a live, community-updated and interactive educational guide. It's no more of a competitor with your textbook then the forums have been. Glad you're excited about Marketplace! We'll be opening it up to third-party assets in a few weeks.
    msones said:
    It's no more of a competitor with your textbook then the forums have been.

That's good! I don't want to compete with GameSalad. I like GameSalad! :)
    msones said:
    Glad you're excited about Marketplace! We'll be opening it up to third-party assets in a few weeks.

I'm very excited about the Marketplace! Are there specifics on how it works? What percentage does GameSalad plan to take? Support for sounds is coming later? Should I be preparing templates or graphics instead?
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    tenrdrmer said:
    Image Flipping is Great and will definitely help to reduce image memory usage. Extremely easy to use too.

Its long overdue, and definately of great use. Im a little disappointed at how its been implemented though. Its been done at the actor level...rather than the animation frame level, where it should have really been.

Its a bit clunky and basic in its current implementation, and would have been far more beneficial if it had been applied so that we could tweak individual frames, rather than every frame contained within an actor.
  • msonesmsones Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 75
    @Photics,

Great questions! We'll announce all those details when we open the store up to third-party content providers.
    @ChunkyPixels. Yes its an actor attribute but you can flip it mid animation. in my tests I had a walking actor animation and could flip the animation right in the middle with my direction movements and it all looked good on my end.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Yup... but it would be far more flexible for building optimised animations if we had control over flipping each individual image seperately within the actor.

Theres sprite features listed on the roadmap... Im hoping this isnt an indication of how sprites are going to be controlled, as its really basic in its implementation.
    msones said:
    Great questions! We'll announce all those details when we open the store up to third-party content providers.

There are probably some things GameSalad doesn't want to announce right now... but historically, I think GameSalad does better when it prepares the community for what it's planning. Example... if the percentage is too high, that could be a big problem.
  • LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890
    I am loving the flip animation.... half the moving images are out of my project... an instant save of 6MB... AAAMMMMAAAAZZZZIIIINNNNNGGGGG
  • NesesitaGamesNesesitaGames Member Posts: 160
    Lovely! Am very excited about the Cookbook and Flip- and the Marketplace as well :) Great job, GS.
    LordTarantor said:
    I am loving the flip animation.... half the moving images are out of my project... an instant save of 6MB... AAAMMMMAAAAZZZZIIIINNNNNGGGGG

I just tested the image flip. It's nice. Heh, it wasn't a huge saving for BOT, as it's a top-down game, but I was able to get rid of one 864 KB file. That's nice! For platformers, this is huge!
  • ARandomDayARandomDay Member, PRO Posts: 124
    Hey everyone, love the Market place so far.

Just downloading the new release too - thanks for all your hard work!

-Damo
    Basseman said:
    I'm kinda dissapointed.. Last release "just" gave us Html5 and this release imageflipping..
    Shouldn't sprites be in there somewhere ?
    And ios keyboard...

It kinda one of those tough questions. Do you want to wait till all the features are there or do you want to have a stable release as soon as they get a couple features working properly. Im thrilled the releases are coming much faster these days. Now patching little bugs in between and that would be pretty awesome.
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    Now patching little bugs in between and that would be pretty awesome.

agree.. i'm happy that otherwise is fixed.. image flipping. great. but it's not worth waiting for a week at the cost of OUR time. so i agree that patches in between release should be released sooner. especially bugs that prevent you from publishing your game(without spending days fixing and reverting codes).

and about the compensation for our inconvenience that you guys discussed? any words on that?
  • icanmakeicanmake Member Posts: 466
    i might just be being stupid but how do i flip an image?
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    its under the actors graphics attribute.
  • WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91
    Interesting, looking forward to trying it out :)
  • calebhystadcalebhystad Member Posts: 22
    Sprite flipping alone is worth an update! Thanks guys.