GameSalad version 0.8.0 released!

CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Publish to the Mac

In addition to publishing for the Web and iPhone, GameSalad users can now publish desktop executables for Mac. This feature comes standard with the $99 GameSalad Express membership, so existing Express users can publish Mac games right away -- simply click the orange "Publish" button in GameSalad and select "Mac."

To celebrate GameSalad's newly expanded publishing capabilities, and to support the Global Game Jam taking place this weekend all over the world, we're also opening up Mac publishing for FREE to all users through this Sunday, January 31. Be sure to drop us a line if you use GameSalad during the Global Game Jam!

"But wait," I hear you asking, "won't my small iPhone games look silly on a Mac?" Well, we also have...

New screen resolution options

In addition to GameSalad's traditional 480x320 resolution (iPhone Landscape), you can choose among four new options allowing greater design flexibility and pristine graphics on larger screens.

320x480 (iPhone Portrait)
720x480 (GameSalad.com)
1024x768
1280x720 (HD)

Mac games also allow players to switch between windowed and fullscreen modes.

Improved Framerate

GameSalad's performance has been further optimized for dramatically increased framerates. We experienced a 65% improvement in one of our iPhone benchmark games!

Learn more about GameSalad.
Learn more about version 0.8.0.
Upgrade your account and start publishing games!

Comments

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    This is SO awesome! We can now make Mac games! This is truly wonderful!!!
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    I was having a bad day before this. Thanks guys!!!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Woo! Thanks very much Cobra. Mac apps hmm. . . Now what to make
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Hey Cobra, any chance of updating the wiki with the new math terms?? =)

Me & math don't get along.
  • sdparduesdpardue Member Posts: 110
    WOW!!!!! Mac games, portrait games, 1024 x 768 games, improved framerate...

AWESOME!! THANKS GUYS!!
    Oh No!!! I am having a serious problem with 0.08!

Both Danger Cats! and Stunt Squirrels! no longer run! They both just get to the main menu and freak out! This happens on GS Creator, GS Viewer, and gamesalad.com...

If you look at Stunt Squirrels! in the MacWorld Challenge section, you'll see what I mean. It can't get to the Main Menu without going nuts. This happens on Danger Cats! as well.

I updated all three to 0.08.

Anything I can do to fix this? I don't understand where the problem is...

Joe
  • CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
    I'm not exactly the one to ask about those math terms either... :)

But yes, Codemonkey and I plan to update the "What's new in version 0.8.0" wiki page tomorrow afternoon with screenshots and more in-depth explanations.

EDIT: @firemaplegames,
    That's a problem all right. Forwarding this to our tech guys.
    Thanks! Very excited about the update regardless!
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    Can we assume the 1024x768 will be the same res required when you add a publish to ipad option?
  • CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
    You can assume whatever you like. ;)
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    I'm having problems too. Since updating to 0.8.0 my LEFT, UP and Right keys no longer work to control my character. I even tested this and rebuilt it in a new scene but it's still the same.
    Could something in this build have broken those rules?
    YIKES!!!!!
    Not sure what to do now......
    1024x768 IS the iPad res, pretty exciting!

@JGary321: exponents, logarithms, and natural logarithms are all used in Calculus. I've never taken calculus, so I can't explain them. I'll dig around and see if I can find fun examples of how to use them in GameSalad..
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    I actually dont mind the randomness of the new V8.0 publishing system, It's kinda exciting!!!!!
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    another prob... my viewer isn't responding to the GS creator, and i updated it to 0.8. It was working at first, but now it doesn't respond anymore.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    I love you guys for making this app better and better.

Just hoped this update was faster (going to kill myself changing hundreds of instances positions and orientations)
  • tekkendptekkendp Member Posts: 49
    This is great - the performance hike is real. Constrains work differently - more logically now. If you are using constrains and having issues - check your logic.
    yea, i went from 16-20 FPS to always over 30! Woohoo!
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    @ tekkendp

how did the constrain-behaviour changed?
  • AndrewMayneAndrewMayne Member Posts: 16
    Everything has stopped working right for me after the update. Saved games won't run right and I can't get normal functions to work right.

(My app that on the app store and works fine on iPhones won't even work right anymore.)

I tried a reinstall and had the same problem.

I downgraded to version .7 and everything works fine.

I'm using OS X 10.5.8
  • AndrewMayneAndrewMayne Member Posts: 16
    After downgrading to .7 I can't open the last project I saved under .8. Which is kind of to be expected. But frustrating.

I love GameSalad and understand what it means to be using something marked Beta....
    Me be thinking there will be an a.81 tomorrow =)
    @SDMG - I suspect that it was bad logic on my part. But in 0.7 I was able to stop my ship going off the screen using a constrain. Once the condition is met (x.cord=<10 or x.cord=>470) constrain to 10 or 470. That would stop you off the screen, but you could move in the other direction. Now it just stops once the condition is met.

Now I have to find another way of stopping my ship going off screen. As I said, it could have be bad logic that got me lucky results.
    Just occurred to me that portrait mode is for iPhone only and that on web preview it just squeeze everything on landscape (and I suppose also on GS.com) . Any plans on that?
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    hi tekkendp,

have you tried to use (x.cord<10 or x.cord>470) instead of (x.cord=<10 or x.cord=>470)?

because when you constrain it to 10 the above old rule is still active...
  • Pas976Pas976 Member Posts: 41
    so can we do this with our iphone membership?
    The mac publishing?? Yea, you membership covers anything they give the ability to publish to.
    Hi SDMG,

Nice one. that fixed it. Thanks, buddy!!!
  • nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    lots of fun everyone!
    no need to work with your head 90º on portrait games anymore.
  • VmlwebVmlweb Member Posts: 427
    Wow
    This has really made my day!
    Thanks GS.

If .exe support was added GS would really be a super all-platform engine.