GameSalad's Year in Review: 2011 (and a look ahead to 2012)

Comments

• ChirpinGamesChirpinGames Member, PRO Posts: 214
    "We’re also pleased to announce that we’re close to wrapping up a major architectural improvement that removes the Lua from our engine and compiles into native code. This means that your games will perform significantly better than any Lua-based engine and will be comparable to other static compiled platforms like Unity. So far, the benchmark tests we’ve run are producing astounding results – load times are nearly 10x faster and file sizes are approximately 10x smaller. This has been a huge undertaking for the team, but one that goes a long way toward our goal of building a professional platform that can go toe-to-toe with the best of them."

Thats amazing! Best news I've heard for ages!
    I'd love to see where this fits into the new roadmap.
  • GLGAMESGLGAMES SingaporeMember Posts: 988
    OMG, so many new stuff just hard for me to digest but the monetization part i'll be waiting closely. hopefully it will be soon :P
  • NesesitaGamesNesesitaGames Member Posts: 160
    Great post, guys! Happy New Year to you all- it's been an amazing year for us, thanks to you :) Looking forward to 2012!
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    Very exciting times ahead as a developer, look forward to what you bring in 2012 GS! Happy New Year
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    Nice to hear this from the GS-Team :-) Happy new year to all of you too.

I think another important thing for 2012 is to change the loading wheel in the corner to a custom loading bar in the center!!!
    ---
    Benjamin
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    very interesting and positive post ... sounds like a super strong foundation for the platform which will be great. Happy New Year GS Team and GS community!

Apps and GS Freebies at FunkyMunkyGames.com
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    "I think another important thing for 2012 is to change the loading wheel in the corner to a custom loading bar in the center!!!"

Or better still, to get rid of loading wheels altogether - no loading times :D eh GS?
  • kolabokolabo Member Posts: 240
    @photics Totally agree with you on this one! "And actually... that's what I found disappointing about this announcement. It doesn't really mention the future of web development. Is HTML5 publishing going to become something that professionals can use?"

My revenue comes from client work... I make my living at it. I need to control the distribution of the educational games I make for my client, and not leave distribution in the hands of GS.
  • gsmetzergsmetzer Member Posts: 31
    "load times are nearly 10x faster” With that I have paid for the PRO account! Now just get rid of the loading wheel and GS will be the real deal. Nice work team.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    Overall I take that a s a great post Steve.
    I'm still plotting and planning to release a bunch of GS apps. Up until now the engine hasn't been able to keep up with my epic productions but I do feel it's getting closer and am confident 2012 will be the year GS and my games and coding will align!
    Cheers all and Happy New Year from the Quinnzone :O)
  • mm34125mm34125 Member Posts: 35
    Great news - these are some strong arguments for getting a pro membership!
  • chaleychaley Member, PRO Posts: 226
    This is exciting news! Comparable with Unity falls into the "exactly what I'd hoped for" category. ...Rad.. I've set March 1st as my drop-dead "gotta get it done by" date for my current game... But I may wait until the new engine is in place. Anyways... REALLY glad to see that the engine will be re-worked and that monetization is one of the items at the top of the priority list.

Nice work GS team. ...THANKS!
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    I had no idea that game salad was programmed in lua. I look forward to the monitization features of Game Salad.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    That makes two of us, Mammoth.

Wow, 10x faster? That's incredible! That's what Im waiting for! I can't wait!
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    10X faster - Now that's face melting!
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    Ha ha, yes - set faces to melt: 2012 :)
  • GhostShipAppsGhostShipApps Member Posts: 81
    I think that gamesalad has a huge potential of reaching other kind of public and creators outside of the videogame industry, I know focus is primordial, but there are so many attributes and rules that you already created and are not being used by the huge pool of creators who desperate to get into the mobile market. Just experiment marketing Gamesalad for guys trying to publish their comics, or graphic designers trying to do an app for a client, maybe create a basic template where no brained models can put their portfolio and publish it, just to show the rest of the world how easy it is.
    After publishing my first two apps in the app store I approached many of my photographers friends and EVERY ONE want his/her portfolio as an app in the app store, just like 15 years ago every one wanted a webpage.
    I am glad I found gamesalad and started using, I can't count the number of times I built the GS viewer in my ipad but every time I did it I felt more and more confident that this is the right path for the future of content creation.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    I recently game back to gamesalad after a couple years and I am more than impressed with what I have been able to put together in a few weeks. The community and support here is great (comparing to what I have experienced with Torque). I am really looking forward to those updates!

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    edited January 2012
    @ Manmouth

The Gamesalad Creator isnt programmed in lua. What we do in gamesalad and our gamesalad projects are converted to lua to compile and publish. What there saying is instead of being compiled into lua it will now be built into pure native code which is awesome.
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Member Posts: 159
    Some nice points being answered, and a couple not however its great to see GS going where people want it to and that i might get more mileage out of my pro membership now ;-)
  • RDRD Member Posts: 88
    Yay! Glad to see a fresh UI makeover comin' up. I actually made a thread the other day including a bunch of redesign mockups.
    Go teim!
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    "On the performance side, we made significant strides toward addressing the stability of our tool and fixing memory leaks. We’re also pleased to announce that we’re close to wrapping up a major architectural improvement that removes the Lua from our engine and compiles into native code. This means that your games will perform significantly better than any Lua-based engine and will be comparable to other static compiled platforms like Unity. So far, the benchmark tests we’ve run are producing astounding results – load times are nearly 10x faster and file sizes are approximately 10x smaller. This has been a huge undertaking for the team, but one that goes a long way toward our goal of building a professional platform that can go toe-to-toe with the best of them."

i am loving THAT!!!!! how long until this happens?
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    I will definitely be purchasing Pro as soon as the sous chefs version is released
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Nice! good 2011, and we will have a much better 2012! I Love GameSalad!
    The only problem that I have right now, is Android Sound delay! Hope you guys at Gs team solve that, because I can't release an Android version with a sound delay.

Cheers.
  • SnapFireSnapFire Member Posts: 361
    YES YES YES!

10x Loading sounds great!
    -Thomas
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Great news. I have been seriously looking at other sdk's because of the lack of speed on GS and the trouble I read about lately on the forum. In the mean time I have been focusing in 3d animation and modeling (of which you guys will see more in the gs market probably). I did this to give
    myself a break from developing and have a good look at what is happening with GSs bugs. I hope this will become lots better. With a 10x speed and a 10th app size I will be staying here for sure.
    Hope it comes fast!

Cheers
    Ludwig
  • gsmetzergsmetzer Member Posts: 31
    So...Any idea when we can expect to see GS running on native code? I will release when its ready and working.