GameSalad's Year in Review: 2011 (and a look ahead to 2012)

13»

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
  • gsmetzergsmetzer Member Posts: 31
    Much too general. If its not before march. I’ll release as is with a cringe.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Forgot to say something on my last post.

WOW! 10x PErformance and Size? Even with 4X better performance and Size it would be AWESOME!
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Member, PRO Posts: 308
    I have to say tables is by far one of the most needed things for games that contain a lot of attributes...I have spent hours upon hours copying-pasting-opening up the Expression editor to select level31Score instead of level 30 score...it is monotonous and thank you finally it will stop!
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    Well, previous experience has told me to be skepticle of what GS says. Everything they said they are going to release was due months ago. This isn't exciting news, it's disappointing.

So when are IAP actually going to be released? 2013?

Get it together GS.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    @SaladStraightShooter - Is the 10x increase in performance just for load times and memory usage or will it improve FPS as well? Also, any idea of when joints are roughly scheduled? I worked to the rough road map and now have a couple of projects on standstill waiting for joints. Cheers
  • informedstudiosinformedstudios Member Posts: 18
    Nothing about AdMob?
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    edited January 2012
    Ok, getting tired of the negative comments. Sure there are features we all want that have not been forthcoming. But I don't think people are realizing how huge it is that builds will soon be in native Xcode. It's huge. Think of it this way when builds were in Lua it required an Xcode wrapper as a go between between the Lua code and iOS. That's the equivalent of speaking to someone that does not know your language and having to use a third person to translate what is being said to each person. That is massively inefficient and I have said many times on the forums that imop the Lua issue is the main reason for almost all performance issues. Now that I know they were making this important and indeed critical change I understand why other features have been delayed. Also, once they finish that transition, adding features should be much easier and quicker for them. Go GS.
    @dotsonj23 why didn't they tell us that back in August when they said they would be greatly improving performance in October?

Also, I'll believe it when I see it. GS's words mean little to nothing. We need results.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    @mu-kowApps

Yeah, looking back it might have been wise for them to say something to explain what seemed like unexcused delays. But then again, they probably had no idea how long such a massive overhaul would take and did not want to get it out there without knowing that as they would then just get continuous complaints about how long it was taking. Interestingly, I remember a post from them over a year ago suggesting that they might be overhauling to get rid of the LUA in the builds but not much was made of it and at the time people were not clamoring about performance issues so I don't think anyone really cared at that point and just wanted features.

I do think this is coming in the next 6 months since they already have an in-house test version they are working with and which is showing very promising results. Hopefully it will be sooner. As to missing deadlines, seems like everyone in this little cottage industry is doing it (iStencyl was originally supposed to be released publicly in September but did not get released until December) (gamemaker still has not released even though their website has said for 8 months release was close). I think is the nature of the drag and drop SDKs. Its got to be a little more difficult to implement features and to keep in mind everything has to be drag and drop.

What would be nice is nightly builds for ALL pro users. Why can't i get a head start on implementing tables and IAP? Even if I can't publish with those features until an official release.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    I'd just like to know how much longer am I going to have to wait to put up ads on my Android apps? My new game I would like to release with both Free and Paid versions from the start and I'd rather not wait months. Couldn't some simple integration for Admob or maybe an easy HTML integration for Leadbolt be released soon. I'd rather not wait for Kiip if it is going to be a while for it's full integration, besides it's not like I really care to use Kiip anyways.
    @SaladStraightShooter - Thanks for the update, sounds good :) Understood ref: Joints. Is there a rough time frame for when the new architecture is planning to be released? If you don't have a month etiolate could you provide a what quarter estimate? The reason I'm keen to knowis that i am now close to wrapping up a game which has been over a year in development, it is fairly big and would benefit (as every GS game would) massively from this performance increase. Cheers
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    edited January 2012
    @ mu-kow

That would require everyone to sign nda's and would be alot harder to find where any leaked information is coming from. Then you have to worry about if somethings user error or a bug (not saying all us sous are perfect and dont make mistakes by any means but we spend our time drilling stuff down and testing testing and testing to make sure whats happening. IT sometimes takes days and weeks of trying one thing over and over to make sure whats happening) also i doubt everyone that got a build like that would even bother to send bug reports in as well and i could imagine all the people complaining about the features not working that arent even done being developed yet.

Also if you'll believe it when you see it then sit back and wait. As its been said time and time again nothing was promised, just a estimate. When they dont say anything people complain about them not telling info, when they tell info and say its not guaranteed people complain when it doesn't make a estimated deadline that wasn't promised in the first place. You cant make everyone happy.

cheers
  • EbreezeEbreeze Member, PRO Posts: 481
    All I care about is performance....as a pro member already...id pay even more if performance/memory leak was fixed...just to be honest.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Perhaps this has been discussed in the above comments but, I assume the 10x faster loading time will be available for the free version not just Pro?
    Thanks m8.
    Braydon
    Braydon I dont see how they could separate that since its going to be the core of how the compile the games.
  • shark1505shark1505 Member Posts: 75
    With it being halfway to mid January, is there any update on how the IAP and tables testing is going?
    @shark1505

You'll have to wait till tomorrow probably. We (sous-chefs) cannot comment on any of that. I'll Make sure to shoot SSS a message in the morning and see if he can give any info on it yet.
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    Wow I would love IAP to come out tomorrow.
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    edited January 2012
    What great news,now I know this will help loading times compiling in native code and not lua,but will it help performance in anyway shape or form.

Cancel this I've just read beefy post
    @Mammoth I think you may have misunderstood. I meant he will have to wait today for the possibility of an answer. I saw another post by SSS this morning stating "In regards to when you might see 9.90, I will say, "soon", but I am unable to give you a clearer time frame."

So I hope that will do for now.

Cheers
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    It would be awesome if IAP would come out soon :) Stencyl already has IAP. Not that I am complaining or anything.
  • Yovanny369Yovanny369 Member Posts: 105
    I will definitely be purchasing Pro as soon as the sous chefs version is released
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited January 2012
    SaladStraightShooter Stated:
    @beefy_clyro - please see your PM.
    Ha... I didn't know private messages were still working. I had some waiting for me. That's one of the many reasons why I think this forum setup is not so great. With vBulletin, I could have received an email notification of a new message, or at least the site would have had an alert. This website used to have a notification of new messages on the home page, but it looks like it's gone now.

I have a contact form at Photics.com if people are trying to reach me. http://photics.com/contact
    Yup the lack of notification is terrible! You have to go to your own profile, to then get the message link and then you can see if you have any or not! Awful! I'd much rather the option for email notification!
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Just a quick bump as this is a temporary roadmap..... Are there any updates on pro pricing coming?