GRAPHICS LESSONS NO.1---LOGOS!

2»

Comments

• gilesgkagilesgka Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2012
    d
    also you can put effects on the text (i use serif draw plus x5 so adding that is very easy)
    obviously im no match for sprite attack or viera games so if they did a post like that i would greatly appreciate it and if you have problems with your logos post your queries and ill try best to answer them ;p
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    edited January 2012
    @gilesgka - no offense, mate - but this is a pretty useless post... In order to teach (which I assume you try and do with a thread titled like this (and in annoying capital letters)) you need to know what you are talking about... and from your posts I can clearly see that you don't. Other than maybe the stencil pad (which doesn't have a logical connection - pencils and stencil have similar letters but very little to do with each other as far as the use goes) the examples you put up are extremly poor - and they might have a teaching purpose if you would explain why they don't work - but you don't.

Let's look at the first post "Poor Logo" and your "TT Solicitors" - they are not logos that you would recognize again. You did throw a bunch of photoshop effects on it and end up with something beveled, chromed and totally inconsistent.

The main thing missing - just as I pointed out in the post you refered to in the intial statement - is the lack of thought and trying to understand what the logo is made for. Take the letter games for example - just adding a letter icon and some text does not make it a logo. It starts with simple things - have a look at a letter, open it and realise that your icon can't work - the straight line of the open envelope is not there due to the way an envelope is folded. Those little things might not mean much but they make or break a logo's appeal.

Adding an old school game sprite and a more logo style font to the mix changes the whole thing around.

Let's look at "TT Solicitors" - solicitors would try to show a serious, trustworthy and respectable image. Why did you think of a hard rock/ biker style logo design and even add chrome effect to it. Ending up with a beveled red is not much better - red is usually considered aggressive. It's the totally wrong direction for a logo aimed at that sort of clients. Why brings me back to the point of 'think befor you do'.

I know you mean well but this thread is more confusing than helping in my humble opinion. I have not touched logo design in my tutorials as I rate it fare more complicated than animation, colour theory or composition - only if you master the basics will you be able to minimalize, condense and get to the core of logo design.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @spriteattack
    Your the most professionally artist known to GS I agree completely with what you said!!,
  • EthanZarovEthanZarov Member Posts: 156
    1. Your TT SOlicitors logo, from what your posts say, is a bad logo because it is glossy and complicated, and downright ugly.
    2. I think the best logos come from imagination. The art to it is so simple, that a three year old could draw it up and it would look simple. The mac and windows systems are great- windows for different colored boxes, and mac, and apple with a bite out of it. I think the best logo comes from a design that is fun to look at.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Yeah the only reason i didnt say anything is cause i knew spriteattack would clear things up for the original poster. Thanks sprite
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    @JohnPapiomitis - lazy bugger... ;)
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    edited January 2012
    @ SpriteAttack

If I am being honest I don't think your TT logo is particularly great, in my opinion you need more chrome, perhaps some chains and maybe flames coming out of the top . . . . and what's with the, dare I say it, homosexual colours ? Logos are meant to be red and/or black, putting weird colours in just detracts from the whole thing - red really helps a logo stick out, that's why I make all my logos red - the same reason everyone who knows what they are doing makes all their logos red, to help them stand out.

Anyhow If you ever need help embossing your work shoot me a PM, I have over 4 months experience using my cracked copy of Photoshop and can have a logo pretty much all chromed up and lens flared in under 10 minutes.
    edited January 2012
    @ SpriteAttack

Here you go, compare your, let's be honest here, prosaic logo with my own effort, notice the power and sheer graphic force I imbue the logo with, some of it is down to sheer talent on my part, some of it is down to my good looks but it's the hours I put in down at the gym that really count when it comes to logos.

I am sure you'll agree the result is one of overwhelming power, a logo logo that stops people in their tracks and says "Yes, I want to get involved with these guys, they are modern, sexy and very very powerful"

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3843/96294841.jpg

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    edited January 2012
    lol @tynan failed X2 ... j/k logo fail. humore A+. i'm saying that cuz i know that.. you know what u r talking bout.'

@gil...
    i actually posted 3 pointers to designing a logo but decided to delete it because the information is out there, you just got to look for them.. buy some books about logo design, none of that 1000X logo crap... buy some decent book with tons of text in them.. and read up... or follow blogs of real designers or expert writers (believe me most of the recent book writers aren't actually designers, and good writers usually are poor designers as well, I say usually because if you happen to read books written by paul rand you'll wet your pants)

so invest some time and money. if you really want to become good at this.. or hire a real designer who's paid at least a quarter of a million dollar for their education, they deserve every right to charge you what they charge because they invested in a rather expensive education.

.... @tynan again, i know you want to make cheese (y) but it just reeks pro lol.. no kerning issue, no funky typeface that has weird proportion. type that echoes image. colors that work... epic hobo graphic attempt fail. next time close your eyes if your want to make bad stuff =)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    @ Tynan
    when i slap the butt on my computer monitor it doesnt jiggle, what gives?!?
    edited January 2012
    that's the power of the (TT) logo when it's working. it sticks to your head firm and stable. hence you experience what you experience john.

k is this thread still kids friendly? it's getting out of hand haha
    @ JohnPapiomitis

"when i slap the butt on my computer monitor it doesnt jiggle, what gives?!?"

It works fine from this end (OS X 10.6.4) ? It's probably such a good logo that you need to put some real force behind your slap.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    edited January 2012
    get Art text 2 for $19.99… and you can do a stunning Logo like TT Solicitors in less 2 minutes!

also remember that most of the very great and very expensive logos contain subliminal messages!
    EX:
    the arrow goes from a to z … which connotes that Amazon sells everything!

MH
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    @Tynan I slapped the ass and nothing wobbled either. I think it might be a lion thing. So i tried on your suggestion of slapping it real hard and yeh man, the whole damn thing wobbled and my hand went through my screen. You owe me a new macbook man! PM me and i'll give you my bank details to make your transfer!
    @SpriteAttack
    your completely right but tbh if you look i never said i was any good lol and also i dont think people get the point of this post.
    The point was not that i taught u guys but that the whole community taught each other so if anyone had any problems they would ask the people LIKE YOU (the good ones)
    also i put them logos up for constructive criticism not as in i thought i was epic lol
    i have been doing this stuff for 1-2 weeks and you have been doing it for years also so if i have no taste and seem like im acting like i do im sorry. i
    i wanted to get people teaching each other and if you look on your pms i even sent you a message to come and show how you make your logos
    @ beefy_clyro

"You owe me a new macbook man!"

: )
    @Spriteattack
    1. where did you learn what you know?
    2. where do you get them fonts
    edited January 2012
    go buy some books buddy. start with coffee table books, then intermediate like logo design love, (there's a website too) and progress. to more advanced ones like marks of excellence. and eventually pinning down to individual legendary designer that you like and read up on their thinking methedology. fonts (or more correctly typeface) is everywhere, stay away from cheap free ones... learn to use the ones that comes with your mac. master it and then move on to display typefaces that's funky. a good designer has 2-3 typefaces that he/she uses almost all of their life time it's their default typeface that they mastered and use all the time... Helvetica for example has many weight and sizes, it's probably the single one you can use it for the rest of your life if you know how to use it right. I know people who has 8000 typefaces from all major type foundry ... adobe, linotype, etc. and i know people who uses helvetica, futura, caslon (these usually comes with your system)... etc (typefaces that stands the test of time) majority of the time and are masters at what they do.

all you need is 1 good typeface that you know how to use, and 1 good book that you can read over and over and learn something new every time.

p.s you can't properly learn about logo design without first learning how to design typeface. so u got some reading to do.

p.p.s. Steve job first encountered design from typographer's stand point, and later worked with paul rand... and other famous design firm. so you see, good typography is the basis of good design (well part of the foundation pillar).
    and steve knows what he's talking about, so watch and learn
    edited January 2012
    some more from master.something that no amount of photoshop skill can replace. and he talks about crowd sourcing something that's been happening in this forum a lot.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    @ultima +1

and check Saul Bass, Neville Brodie, Ken Garland, Hofler...