TOTB4 - sciTunes - Creature Of The Light (Now w/ HTML5 embedded in this thread)

scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
edited January 2012 in Conferences and Events
I've been playing around with an idea for this and I told myself that if I could get the mechanics perfect then I would enter. Well, I am feeling really good about the control system I have in place. It's very intuitive and easy to master, yet pretty unique as well. Not totally set on the title yet, but this is a tale of light vs. dark. The earth has effectively been destroyed by a great darkness that has been brought by evil creatures. You control a creature of the light. Only light can defeat darkness. Your quest is to seek out what remains of the light, collect it, and share it so it can grow, thus restoring the earth.

Video up soon.

Comments

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Hmm sounds like it could be similar to a game i've been working on for a while, hopefully they'll come out very different. Sounds cool though and I'm intrigued to see the gameplay :)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    edited January 2012

Sorry for the horrible video quality. Anyone know how to focus a flip cam?

I'll try to get all of the rules working with the spacebar instead of the onscreen button so I can just use a screen recorder with the gamesalad creator preview. That way it wont be both fuzzy and jerky.
  • jobonoobdudejobonoobdude Member Posts: 152
    I seriously would pay $50,000,000,000 dollars to play that game.
    and another $50,000,000,000 to learn how to make a game like that that fast.
    seriously
    edited January 2012
    @jobo - thanks, man. Emailing you my paypal info now... :)

Here's a less blurry version.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    looking great so far ... nice gameplay idea (think a flip cam has a fixed focus .. but could be wrong).
    Looking great so far :) Tis also very different from my game so no worries there.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    awesome

I love the particle effects
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    edited January 2012
    Makes me think Spiderman... With Spyros fairy.
    Thanks for the nice feedback, guys. Next step is to create the art for the platforms and add in some paralaxing backgrounds.

Parallax Background effect. Still needs a bit of work but it's getting there...
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    It kind of reminds me of contra jour :) I really like it! :) I can't what to see more! :)
    edited January 2012
    @ Leo - Thanks!

I got tired of uploading to youtube and dealing with making screen recordings so I thought I would just publish to HTML5 instead. Currently just the one level.

Instructions:

Swipe anywhere and the orange dude will move in the same way you swipe (no need to swipe through him). Press and hold down spacebar, then swipe to control the light/weapon.

You can "double jump" - so in other words you can swipe the guy up into the air and swipe one more time. The swipe count is reset once you hit a platform. this allows for wall jumping.

Tip: HTML5 does not know the mouse is down unless you click within the game box. It also doesn't the mouse button has been released if you release it while outside of the playable area. This makes a swipe control a little tricky for HTML5.

Object of the game (for now) - get rid of all the baddies and a light source will appear. find the light source (for the light source gets brighter but the scene does not end - still working on that part)

Enjoy!

Oh, and feedback (both good and bad) is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    @uptimistik, the HTML5 version is not nearly as responsive as the iOS version. This game is really meant to be played on a touch device - the mouse and spacebar really get in the way. There are times where the HTML5 version seems to not even register a click. So far I am getting the best results in google chrome but it's still way less responsive than my iPhone. What browser are you using?
    What aspect of the controls are you finding difficult? You know that you do not have to swipe through the orange guy right? That may help.
    Its one that will always be difficult on computer .. especially using a trackpad, i imagine it to be much simpler on device :) Cracking start though Sci
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2012
    Here's my test when I'm meant to play a game on a touch device. I use my Wacom tablet. It was very hard to play with a mouse, I couldn't get that little guy to jump to an higher platform. But with the Wacom it was a snap. I'm betting a touch interface will be fine for controlling the game.
    @Pixelgun - thanks for the feedback, that's good to know. I am able to play OK with my MBP trackpad, but I'm sure that's because I have been messing around with this every day since this contest started. But there are times where the game doesn't even register my mouse click. That has never happened using the viewer app on my iPhone4. On a touch screen it feels quite intuitive actually.

@beefy - thanks! Yeah, I feel pretty good about it.
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    @scitunes Yeah, I noticed that sometimes it just stops moving and becomes unresponsive to clicks or taps with my pen on the tablet.
  • mrglocklingmrglockling Member Posts: 258
    Quite impressive Sci-Tunes :) this is going to be a nice game
    @Pixelgun - yeah, I think that before the end of the contest will have to try and optimize the code for HTML5. I will also scale the images down. Right now they are all set for the iPhone's retina screen.

@MrG - thanks, man!

What's new:
    1) New objective - instead of clearing the level of enemies to finish the level you must now find all of the crystals and fill them with light. Once you have filled them all with light they will all release a beam of light that illuminates your path (a pretty cool effect if I do say so myself) and allows you to go to the next level.
    2) New platform graphics - I am trying to stick with the black and white theme but I need to make the foreground distinct from the background.

Feedback is always welcomed!

Thanks!
  • GnomerGnomer Member Posts: 292
    How is it done so that the platforms and background all remain off scene until you get to that part of the scene?

Love that app by the way :)
    In the scene attributes you just increase the size of the scene. Then the camera follows your character around (in this case the camera follows the light).

Thanks for the kind words.
    Loving the look of this one :)
    The new objective is pretty cool, it must be said, good job man!
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    ah! @scitunes … this is sooooo great!

you make all us GS users feel we have to meet the challenge! and even though we know that we may not be great … we are in a great Group!

@};- MH
    Thanks, guys!

Next step is to create some obstacles. Some spiky things, maybe something on fire, possibly some moving platforms, we'll see.
  • David_GryphonsRealmDavid_GryphonsRealm Member Posts: 459
    Read this WHOLE post bcuz it seemed so interesting !! Great App !! Hope it does REALLY well for ya !!

David
    edited January 2012
    Thanks, David!

Today I begin the process of building levels. I am also going to try and optimize as much as possible to get this game playing smoothly for the HTML5 format. It works flawlessly on iPhone, but it is a bit laggy for html5. I am going to try and make has many images grayscale as possible. I am also going to shrink them down to actual size instead of 2x for retina. We'll see if it makes it improves things enough to submit to this contest. Otherwise I may just submit a youtube video. My concern is that people will play the HTML5 version and judge it on that when it really uses a game mechanic that is suited for touch screens.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    Sci, you definitely on my HATE list.

Great stuff mate, really original.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    great to see the development of this Sci .... interesting idea and wonderful look/gameplay.