TOTB4 - sciTunes - Creature Of The Light (Now w/ HTML5 embedded in this thread)

2»

Comments

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047

What's New:

1) Enemies attack you when you get close
    2) Spiky Plant thingy
    3) Hill Platforms
    4) Breakable blocks add a physics element to the game and also allows for more "discovery"
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    I watch the video and get so mad that I am not playing this! :P

all the new things I like!

@};- MH
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    wow not sure how i didnt see this till now

freakin awesome sci
    Thanks, guys. It's been fun. I'm going to try and find some time today to optimize it for HTML5 so that people can have a go with it. But it really isn't the same as on a touch screen.

@stormystudio - I wonder if it would ever be possible for a future TOTB to use test flight and have the judges register a device with each contestant. I haven't used test flight yet so I'm not sure how practical that would be.
    edited January 2012

The new objective is to fill all the crystals with light. You do not need to kill all enemies to complete the level. Swipe with the mouse to control the creature. Hold spacebar down and swipe to control the light. Light is used for three things 1) It controls the camera so you can look around the scene a bit with it, (2) It fills the crystals with light, and (3) it kills the enemies.

------------

Well, it's still not as responsive a an iPhone but I was able to make it a little smoother for HTML5.

I would love to get some feedback on the game elements. The new ones are the cracked block, (if you throw the orange guy into it a few time sit will break into four parts), the moving enemies (much easier to kill on the iphone than on HTML5), the spikey tree, and the round hill like platform.

EDIT: I think I have realized a way to make it work a bit better for HTML5. When your mouse is outside of the playing area (which happens a lot when you swipe with the mouse) the mouse button up does not register. I am going to work on a fix for that right now and re-publish. This is obviously not a problem at all for the iPhone so I never thought about it.

EDIT #2: Just uploaded new HTML5 version (edited post to switch it so the one in this post is now the most current). Still just the one level but just about all the elements are in it (I think).
    Let the level building begin!

Completed the first two levels and am half way through building the third. The first 5 or 6 levels will essentially serve as an in-game tutorial. I have stone and wood signs in the background with tips and instructions "carved" into them. Will upload to HTML5 later today.
    edited January 2012
    Creatures of The Light
    TOTB4 entry
    By sciTunes

Why Creatures of The Light is an Outside The Box game:

1) Game Mechanic / control system - Many of the most popular iOS games, including most of my favorite titles, use a control system in which the player interacts directly with the game using simple and intuitive controls rather than an artificial intermediary such as a d-pad. My goal was to create a platformer that uses a flick/swipe mechanic to control the hero AND the hero's weapon. While the HTML5 method that uses the spacebar is not quite as intuitive as I would like the system works flawlessly on a touch screen device. No other game that I have ever played uses a system like this.

2) Weapon system - The light that floats above the creature is controlled by a very intuitive swipe system and is used for a number of different tasks. The light controls the camer so it can be used to explore the scene before moving the creature into potential danger. It is also used to complete the main objective of illuminating all the crystals and it is the weapon to destroy the evil stone monsters.

3) Crystals - the crystal system is a unique way of challenging the player. The crystals may be hidden behind breakable rocks, in areas that can only be seen by using your light, or may be guarded by evil stone monsters. Each time a crystal is illuminated the darkness recedes, making it a little bit easier to find your way through the level, When all crystals are filled a very cool beam of light effect illuminates the path you must take to reach the next level.

I have worked very hard on this game and I hope you all enjoy!

HTML5 Version

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE PLAYING!!!!!

1) This game was designed for a touch screen and I did everything possible to adapt it to HTML5. Here is the biggest problem that only happens on HTML5 (not on touch devices) - when the mouse leaves the game area the game does not detect the mouse position nor does it detected a mouse click or a mouse release. This is especially unfortunate for a swipe control system like this one. If the end of your swipe takes you outside of the game area the game will not know that you have released the mouse button. Trackpad is not recommended!

2) This is NOT the complete game! This is a sampling of the main game elements. Basically I took the tutorial scenes that will introduce new game elements and I made a 6 level game. The idea was to let the judges and anyone else who is interested to experience the main game elements. To get the full game experience you'll need to buy it once it is released for iOS! :)

Enjoy!