Be rejected because there is no sandbox in MAC appstore

YatelandYateland Member, PRO Posts: 81
How to Fix the problem with Gamesalad?
-----------------
Jun 14, 2012 04:20 PM. From Apple.
All new applications must implement sandboxing as of June 1, 2012. See App Sandboxing for links to essential video and documentation to learn how to sandbox your application.
-------------------

Comments

• YatelandYateland Member, PRO Posts: 81
    ok thank you tshirtbooth
  • notthedreamnotthedream Member Posts: 23
    i have the same problem too, all of my apps was rejected.

any solutions???
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    i have the same problem too, all of my apps was rejected.

any solutions???
    Yep, as tshirt said - keep calm, and wait :)
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Member Posts: 323
    I was wondering if this was going to be an issue.. Guess I won't be publishing the Mac version of my game anytime soon either...

This is something Apple has told developers about for ages. The fact that GS wasn't ready with a solution is in a word, embarrassing.
  • petercoupepetercoupe Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2012
    I have a game for the Mac platform currently waiting for review, and when the GS build came back it did include both a .PKG file and also an .APP file that opens in the sandbox, or so it seems! You do need to create a 'test user' account to do this - you can't use your normal account.

In any event, it is very useful, as it allows you to play the game exactly as a purchaser would and - yes - I found a fault! I was able to reject the exiting binary, and upload a corrected version before it went into the review process!
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    I have not had any issue submitting to the Mac App Store -- I submitted my game and one update already and both were approved with no problem.
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    @JustMe74 after June 1st?
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    edited June 2012
    Yes. Both the original app and the update were submitted after June 1st with no rejection. I have a second update in there pending review as well.

Hmmm.. I think we're going to need some clarification from the OP, and perhaps a comment from GS, then.

@ifunway
    Which version of the editor did you create your build with?
    no answer from GS :(
  • Holderness_Media_IncHolderness_Media_Inc Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2012
    I asked about these requirements a month ago and of course it was mostly overlooked.
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/43841

The Code Monsters answer was what I hoped to be true, but Ive now found out as of yesterday it's definitely not. I too was just rejected because of not having sandboxing implemented on an update to a Mac app, not even a new app! Apple began notifying us about the June 1st deadline for new sandboxing and Developer ID requirements months ago, but this forum and GS staff essentially ignored it. Now we get to wait until whenever it's implemented in a future GS creator update, which of course it hasn't been discussed with any timeline as to when it will be implemented. :/
    But hey we've got Windoze and all the garbage that comes with it :P
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    @saladstraightshooter

any word on an update to fix this? since GS apps are pretty much sandboxed already, i imagine it's a server side fix, but if they are rejecting apps on it, its a pretty big deal
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    edited July 2012
    Unfortunately loads more than just a 'switch on' - Migrating from non sandboxed to sandboxed for a start (e.g. all your level achievements in already released apps) and there could be any number of changes that need to be made to the engine to fit in with this lot http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Security/Conceptual/AppSandboxDesignGuide/DesigningYourSandbox/DesigningYourSandbox.html.

But who knows perhaps everything is well under way and just about to launch ... OR sandboxing will arrive with the new engine and MAC development is about to take a very big back seat.
    edited June 2012
    As usual the lack of comms and silence is the real problem...
    Yup. Apple sent out the original notifications of the sandboxing requirements LAST year in November, possibly even earlier! The requirement was originally supposed to go into effect back in March, but Apple extended the deadline until June 1st.
  • Peter_OlafsonPeter_Olafson Member Posts: 301
    I too have been rejected now due to lack of sandboxing. :-( Spent one month last year unable to publish to mac due to an icon bug in gamesalad. Now another month? Two months? Never? :-/
    I too have been rejected now due to lack of sandboxing. :-( Spent one month last year unable to publish to mac due to an icon bug in gamesalad. Now another month? Two months? Never? :-/
    Yeah, that sucked last year. Here we are again.
    So here's the response I got from GS on this issue, they are at least aware of it.

"Thanks for contacting GameSalad Customer Support.

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. Recently Apple changed their requirements for Mac App store submissions by mandating applications support the Apple Sandbox. Our development team is aware of this issue and going forward, they will be working to integrate the necessary changes for App Store submission. I do not have an ETA for completion, but we will be sure to make an announcement once this has been resolved.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused!"
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, does this effectively mean that there is no point submitting apps until this matter is resolved?
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, does this effectively mean that there is no point submitting apps until this matter is resolved?
    Pretty much. I guess you could try your luck though, maybe you get a really lazy app reviewer who will slide it through, haha. I doubt it though, at this point it's probably detected automatically.
    No ETA ....... Well, at least they aware about it. Hope its not too long.
    OK, we'll have to play with Android App Inventor for a while and finish a few games I have going on over there.
  • aleksander1805aleksander1805 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2 apps on Mac Appstore rejected ,because no sandbox.and lose money at this moment

i try using corona in the future they will support Mac Apps and implement LEVEL creation(drag and Drop)
    (With Corona Levels, build your game levels without writing a single line of code)
  • SteakSauceSteakSauce Member Posts: 29
    Question: If i make a game now, before gamesalad updates to fix this issue, will the game be a waste of time? or will it not be an issue.
  • Peter_OlafsonPeter_Olafson Member Posts: 301
    I think if you've read all of these posts it's clear that you won't be able to publish a game for mac until game salad supports sandboxing. You can make one and you can play it... but you can't publish it to the mac app store.
  • SteakSauceSteakSauce Member Posts: 29
    yeah thanks, i was just asking if i could upload it later if i made it now with the current software
    There's still iOS, unless they introduce it on there as well.....
    edited June 2012
    So here's the response I got from GS on this issue, they are at least aware of it.

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. Recently Apple changed their requirements for Mac App store submissions by mandating applications support the Apple Sandbox. Our development team is aware of this issue and going forward, they will be working to integrate the necessary changes for App Store submission. I do not have an ETA for completion, but we will be sure to make an announcement once this has been resolved.

Does anyone else find this unacceptable? Unless half of the staff is off on vacation, why is this the best response we get? Why can't a representative from GS address this in the thread and give us a direct answer? Same goes for the 'Black Bars on Android' threads too.

Both of these are problems that need immediate communication with the community and then equally fast fixes because they break publishing.

I'm trying to rely on GameSalad to build a profession. Unless you're able to publish, this tool is nothing more than a hobbyist's toy. Might as well change the name of the 'Pro' subscription to 'Enthusiast'.

Currently, two of the three platforms are broken if you want to publish, and the official word is, 'we'll get around to it and let you know when we fix it!'. They keep the builds locked up in exhaustive rounds of QA, taking days, if not a week extra because they want to get it 'perfect', but the simplest of things constantly slip through.

I've suggested it before, and I'll do it one more time. The GS team needs to look into following what Google did with their 'Canary' build of their Chrome browser. Something that is updated several times a week with the latest 'working' code. This would be an experimental build of the engine which gives users a chance to help the team over there work out any bugs before they submit them to the official build.

Whatever the case, something needs to drastically change over there because this isn't the first time publishing for a platform was broken due to a silly bug that should have never gotten out of test in the first place.

Does anyone else find this unacceptable? Unless half of the staff is off on vacation, why is this the best response we get? Why can't a representative from GS address this in the thread and give us a direct answer? Same goes for the 'Black Bars on Android' threads too.

Both of these are problems that need immediate communication with the community and then equally fast fixes because they break publishing.

I'm trying to rely on GameSalad to build a profession. Unless you're able to publish, this tool is nothing more than a hobbyist's toy. Might as well change the name of the 'Pro' subscription to 'Enthusiast'.

Currently, two of the three platforms are broken if you want to publish, and the official word is, 'we'll get around to it and let you know when we fix it!'. They keep the builds locked up in exhaustive rounds of QA, taking days, if not a week extra because they want to get it 'perfect', but the simplest of things constantly slip through.

I've suggested it before, and I'll do it one more time. The GS team needs to look into following what Google did with their 'Canary' build of their Chrome browser. Something that is updated several times a week with the latest 'working' code. This would be an experimental build of the engine which gives users a chance to help the team over there work out any bugs before they submit them to the official build.

Whatever the case, something needs to drastically change over there because this isn't the first time publishing for a platform was broken due to a silly bug that should have never gotten out of test in the first place.
    I agree. I'd definitely be on board for testing latest/nightly builds if they were available.

In regards to GS staff taking too long to respond, I agree there too but I'm trying to be fair to them considering the Windoze scenario. Of course I don't know for sure, but I really don't think they're being lazy. I bet they're probably swamped with support problems from the recent release of the Windoze version. I hope they hired 10-20x the support staff they had before when GS was Mac only, they're going to need it for the Windows problems. :/
    Another mac app rejected today because of a lack of sandboxing. Not a happy chappy.
    On the bright side - an app with the new (.94) splash screen has been accepted. So a sort of 50/50 day so far. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dont-lose-your-balloon-for/id530894179?ls=1&mt=8