Error 3! (error publishing a Mac app on mountain lion)

Peter_OlafsonPeter_Olafson Member Posts: 301
edited August 2012 in Tech Support
Updated my operating system to Mountain Lion, updated Gamesalad, updated Xcode to the latest version and downloaded and
installed my mac certificates. But when I submit the app and then try to sign it I get error 3. That's incredibly useful information.

What do I do next? Where can I submit my file for gamesalad tech support to have a look?

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I got the same error and submitted it. Its my personal opinion that signing a Mac app on lion is not supported, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

Here is a thread I created when we were testing 0.10.0. I ran into problems so I checked to see if 0.94 worked and that failed as well, although with a better error message. If you look in your.console log, you will see the same error as .9.94. I exported my certificates into 10.7 and it worked fine, I then exported them from 10.7 into 10.8 and it failed again:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/47844/could-someone-try-publishing-a-mac-app-with-10-8

Use the contact us form at the bottom of the page, the more people who submit it the better.
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    Same issue here.... sigh.
  • SearleSamaSearleSama Member Posts: 108
    I am trying to publish the the ios app store and I get the same error when signing with a distribution profile for ipad. When I use a development profile it signs fine. But I am ready to submit but get this error 3.
    edited August 2012
    @saladstraightshooter
    Here is the console output. Attempting to publish a mac app on both 0.10.0 and 0.9.94 fail under 10.8. If I export my entire development certificates/provisioning profiles as a team and import them into 10.7, you can publish without any problems in both versions. If you import that same file back into 10.8, both still fail.

I submitted it to QA back on the 13th, so it should be on their radar. I thought it was me at first, that's why I setup a 10.7 virtual, but after that worked fine with the same certificates, and now other people having the issue, i think it might be a 10.8 compatibility issue.

8/13/12 3:07:22.440 PM GameSalad[56478]: Downloaded to: /var/folders/30/sndp6sz904s3tr8t3ymk4c680000gn/T/GameSalad0/appoutput1.zip

8/13/12 3:07:29.532 PM GameSalad[56478]: Code Signing Error: /var/folders/30/sndp6sz904s3tr8t3ymk4c680000gn/T/GameSalad0/Output2.app: replacing existing signature
    /var/folders/30/sndp6sz904s3tr8t3ymk4c680000gn/T/GameSalad0/Output2.app: object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable

8/13/12 3:07:29.532 PM GameSalad[56478]: Results written to /var/folders/30/sndp6sz904s3tr8t3ymk4c680000gn/T/GameSalad0/signingLog.txt

8/13/12 3:07:29.532 PM GameSalad[56478]: ERROR: Code signing failed. Make sure your Mac developer certificate and WWDR certificate are installed.
    @saladstraightshooter

here is the singinglog.txt

/var/folders/30/sndp6sz904s3tr8t3ymk4c680000gn/T/GameSalad0/Output4.app: replacing existing signature
    /var/folders/30/sndp6sz904s3tr8t3ymk4c680000gn/T/GameSalad0/Output4.app: object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable
    this is the weird part. I upload the file to the web publishing server from my 10.8 machine. From my 10.7 machine I generate the package and then click on sign. everything works fine.

Then from my 10.8 box, I do the same thing, generate the package and click on sign. this fails.

both machines are using the exact same keychain settings, both imported from the same files.

• petercoupepetercoupe Member Posts: 94
    Same thing happening here.
    I figured out my issue with error 3, I just had to revoke my distribution cert and recreate, thanks for the clarification on what error 3 was, I could focus my own troubleshooting in the right direction. :-)
    I figured out my issue with error 3, I just had to revoke my distribution cert and recreate, thanks for the clarification on what error 3 was, I could focus my own troubleshooting in the right direction.
    :-)
    Hmmm - I tried that but it seemed to have no effect - I will persevere after a good strong cup of Java.
    I did some more testing today. I exported my xcode team profile from my 10.8 imac.

I took a clean 10.7 virtual and my 10.8 macbook. both of which I installed xcode fresh from the mac app store and imported my profile.

I uploaded the game from my 10.8 iMac.

from my 10.7 virtual I am able to sign mac app without any problems
    from my 10.8 laptop I am UNable to sign my mac app.
    great! I thought I was going crazy because it seemed like only me and a few others had the issue.
    @jonmulcahy - we've confirmed the issue with Mountain lion is indeed a bug and are including a fix in a hotfix expected soon. It should be a quick turnaround.
    ETA?

Looking forward to the hotfix, getting the same error too when trying to sign my osx version of the same game. revoking and reinstalling my certs didn't help, but it looks like its a confirmed issue.
    I'm still stuck on this.
    I can publish to iPad, iPhone and HTML5, but still get the code 3 error whenever I try to publish to Mac. I have checked then rechecked all my certificates, and have even revoked and removed them all and recreated them - still no luck. Anyone cracked this yet?
    I had no problems with Lion, so I am obviously missing something here!
    edited August 2012
    My certs were fine and working on the last version of GS. I've also tried re-installing the certs. Please help... I've been waiting over a month to fix bugs that users have been reporting in my Mac app... this is getting to a level that is totally unacceptable. If this is user error, I need to know how to correct it!
    same here, I know I have my certs created and installed correctly. Do it have anything to do with the new developer id certs?
    nvm, those are only for developing outside of the app store
    I'm guessing there might be some new component then? If I import the same dev team profile into 10.7 and 10.8 and do nothing else, it works on 10.7 and fails on 10.8.

I've just been publishing via my 10.7 virtual when needed for now
  • Peter_OlafsonPeter_Olafson Member Posts: 301
    So we've gone from a tentative fix later this week to Good Night and Good Luck. Nice.
    I really dont want to go through setting up a 10.7 vm, I guess I'll get my wife's macbook and make it a dev comp, (she still has 10.7)
    10.7 worked for me (from my wife's computer). Something is missing regarding mountain lion...
    Mac Standalone applications will now need to be signed with the Developer ID to run on Mountain Lion OS X.
    I am assuming that this is happening within GS? If not, could this be the cause of our problems?
    I have both certs on my computer and I'm still getting this error.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    @jonmulcahy ... not that this effects me at this time .... but having read through the thread I thought it appropriate to thank you and others for the debugging efforts you all do on behalf of the community .... top notch stuff ... cheers!
    Yes, and I tried revoking and reinstalling them the other day too. They are selectable in GS; the error occurs AFTER they are selected.
    edited August 2012
    ok, I just revoked all certificates and deleted all of them from my keychain, including the WWDR and Developer ID Intermediate Certificates.

I then did these steps:

1. Download and install AppleWWDRCA.cer
    2. Download and install DeveloperIDCA.cer
    3. Generate and install mac_development.cer
    4. Generate and install mac_app.cer
    5. Generate and install mac_installer.cer

They are all showing up as valid and installed in my keychain:

I then generated a mac app and clicked on sign app. It downloaded the app and prompted me to choose the profile, and my name was available in the drop down and selected:

That fails:

If I view the console:

and that singingLog.txt file:

• certifiedplayerzcertifiedplayerz Member Posts: 0
    edited August 2012
    I am trying to publish my first app to the app store with game salad. I have followed the cookbook steps exactly and I still get this error message. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    My experience is matching @Jonmulcahy 's exactly.
    My experience is matching @Jonmulcahy 's exactly.
    My certs are the same too.
    My outcomes are the same.

Be sure to check your Xcode organizer and make sure all of your certificates are valid and properly signed.

We're still digging into this, folks - again, QA has been unable to reproduce the issue once everything is set up properly and has published the same apps of some of those reporting without a problem.
    Maybe you could put up a screenshot of what your testers are seeing, both in the case of the X-Code organiser window, and also the key-chain. Obviously, blank out sensitive details, but if we could see a 'perfect' working list it might give us a starting point - or just show something that we simply haven't thought of or checked. Regards.